1Password introduces Travel Mode to protect data during trips

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2017
As part of an update pushed out on last week, popular password management app 1Password introduced a new feature that lets users selectively erase local data for maximum protection while traveling.

Dubbed Travel Mode, the one-click function erases all vaults -- 1Password speak for user profiles -- except those marked "safe for travel" from devices connected to a 1Password account. Users can later restore their full list of vaults with another click once they arrive.

Previously, users worried about unwarranted searches, device theft or similar incidents would have to sign out of 1Password on each of their devices to erase locally stored data, create a dedicated travel account and sign back in. Once at their destination, users would then have to sign out of the travel account and back in to their full account.

With Travel Mode, users can mark vaults as "safe for travel" from the 1Password.com web interface. When the feature is activated from the web, all vaults save for those marked as safe are deleted from connected devices. These vaults can be reinstated by deactivating Travel Mode upon arrival.

Though it requires a bit of setup time, Travel Mode is more convenient than constantly logging in and out of separate accounts on multiple devices.

According to 1Password developers AgileBits, the feature was inspired by Basecamp's employee handbook. The document provides workers with best practices for keeping work data safe during international travel, a process that can be time consuming.

Travel Mode is available to 1Password members who pay monthly fees, not customers who purchased an app license before AgileBits moved to a subscription based service structure.

1Password is a free download from the iOS App Store, but requires customers to pay a monthly fee of $2.99 for an individual account or $4.99 for a five-person family plan. Subscribing to those same services as an in-app purchase brings the individual fee up to $3.99, and the family subscription to $6.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    gadgetdongadgetdon Posts: 54member
    Great loyalty to those who've been long-term customers
    jahblade
  • Reply 2 of 29
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I haven't thought about creating separate vaults before, but this might be a good reason.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 3 of 29
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Nice. :)

In before the "if you don't have anything to hide" comments...
  • Reply 4 of 29
    It would be nice if Apple provided something like this but for the entire phone. An iOS Travel Mode that when activated erased all but some chosen apps, left a select few (or many) contacts, etc, just enough to get by in the short term. Then, once deactivated all the other data would come back. 

I know, I can back up and later restore but I'm looking to just hit a switch and have only the travel approved stuff stay behind. Make it simple to get into Travel Mode. 
    stanthemanjahbladelostkiwi
  • Reply 5 of 29
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    It would be nice if Apple provided something like this but for the entire phone. An iOS Travel Mode that when activated erased all but some chosen apps, left a select few (or many) contacts, etc, just enough to get by in the short term. Then, once deactivated all the other data would come back. 

I know, I can back up and later restore but I'm looking to just hit a switch and have only the travel approved stuff stay behind. Make it simple to get into Travel Mode. 
    I'd use this daily even if they don't call it a suitable for work mode. In the world of BYODevice workplaces I think there is a lot of function iCloud could handle better here. 
  • Reply 6 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Brilliant response by this developer. Apple should do the same for the entire device.
    stanthemanjahbladelostkiwi
  • Reply 7 of 29
    em_teem_te Posts: 41member
    How about just a mode where the whole phone is encrypted with a key that is stored on another computer (either at home or with checked in luggage), so if they ask you to decrypt your phone you physically cannot until the phone is synced with the home computer. And maybe just have a few apps like phone calls and angry bird unlocked.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    There are apps to store photos etc that allow multiple passwords. You can use a password for the safe stuff and another password for the hot stuff-:)

• Reply 9 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    gadgetdon said:
    Somewhat, since it only works with those with subscriptions to 1P and I've been a paid user long before that was an option so I won't be getting this feature even though I did repurchase via the Mac App Store so I could have my keychain sync via iCloud.
    randominternetpersonjahbladelostkiwi
  • Reply 10 of 29
    em_te said:
    How about just a mode where the whole phone is encrypted with a key that is stored on another computer (either at home or with checked in luggage), so if they ask you to decrypt your phone you physically cannot until the phone is synced with the home computer. And maybe just have a few apps like phone calls and angry bird unlocked.
    This has the potential issue of having to wait a potentially long time to use your device, and if your other device is lost/stolen/damaged before you can get back to it you then risk losing all that data.

I think a better solution is for Apple to using a "poisoned finger" in Touch ID that will lock down everything to the point of where it's essentially just like it was after a restart if they try to compel you to use a finger to unlock the device and to send your lack known location to iCloud and one or more contacts of your choice.
    edited May 2017 beowulfschmidtjahbladejony0lostkiwi
  • Reply 11 of 29
    BenCBenC Posts: 13member
    Not impressed with the decision to make this available only to subscribers and not those who purchased the product upfront. It would't be such an issue if it hadn't been a reasonably expensive purchase!

What do they expect us to do? Pay the upfront cost and then become a subscriber as well?! Ridiculous.
    jahbladelostkiwi
  • Reply 12 of 29
    BenC said:
    Not impressed with the decision to make this available only to subscribers and not those who purchased the product upfront. It would't be such an issue if it hadn't been a reasonably expensive purchase!

What do they expect us to do? Pay the upfront cost and then become a subscriber as well?! Ridiculous.
    1) Maybe it's coming down the line, or maybe there are technical reasons why this is only possible through the subscription-based option. Their forums are excellent so you can ask them—if it hasn't been asked already—and I'm sure you'll get an excellent response in return. I've used their forum extensively to submit ideas of the years to request features. I can't say that I was the first to have the idea, but I've certainly made many suggestions that did appear later on, like Watchtower. I'm still waiting for a proper health section to appear and an option for notifications (or a tie into Calendar) when an expiry date is about to expire.

2) If this is an issue, you can also just turn off your device when you cross a border, manually create a separate Vault with minimal items, or just delete the app from your device until you're over the border where you can install again (hopefully with a VPN connected). You do have options, and since 1P is best in class I wouldn't worry about the small stuff.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    BenCBenC Posts: 13member
    Soli said:
    BenC said:

1) Maybe it's coming down the line, or maybe there are technical reasons why this is only possible through the subscription-based option. Their forums are excellent so you can ask them—if it hasn't been asked already—and I'm sure you'll get an excellent response in return. I've used their forum extensively to submit ideas of the years to request features. I can't say that I was the first to have the idea, but I've certainly made many suggestions that did appear later on, like Watchtower. I'm still waiting for a proper health section to appear and an option for notifications (or a tie into Calendar) when an expiry date is about to expire.

2) If this is an issue, you can also just turn off your device when you cross a border, manually create a separate Vault with minimal items, or just delete the app from your device until you're over the border where you can install again (hopefully with a VPN connected). You do have options, and since 1P is best in class I wouldn't worry about the small stuff.
    Great tip about the forums, thanks. I'm relatively new to 1Password (as in within the last year) and haven't checked them out.

In actual fact, I don't have much of a use for this feature, sadly I'm not an international man of mystery! I was more concerned about the thinking behind the way it was rolled out. Are those of us who paid upfront going to be left out of all new features? Just some of them?
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 14 of 29
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    gadgetdon said:
    It had to happen. Eventually they were going to start the incentive push for subscriptions.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    technotechno Posts: 737member

Customs Officer: Sir, can you unlock your phone and turn off Travel Mode? Please hand it over to me.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    techno said:

Customs Officer: Sir, can you unlock your phone and turn off Travel Mode? Please hand it over to me.
    The idea is that getting out of "travel mode" takes a non-trivial action by the user so that they can avoid doing so while complying with lawful orders.

I don't see Apple being this overt, because it's not great PR to be seen as adding features specifically to "defeat" the police (as opposed to protecting against theft and criminals).  I think they'll let 1Password and others serve this market. 
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Soli said:

I think a better solution is for Apple to using a "poisoned finger" in Touch ID that will lock down everything to the point of where it's essentially just like it was after a restart if they try to compel you to use a finger to unlock the device and to send your lack known location to iCloud and one or more contacts of your choice.

If Apple were to implement this (which they won't, because of it's potential to be accused of what LEO will call "destroying evidence" even if there was nothing on the device that could reasonably be called evidence of anything), then every single finger on both of my hands would be the "poison" one.

LEO: I need you to unlock your phone.

Me: Got a warrant?

LEO: I don't need a warrant to compel you to unlock your fingerprint secured phone.

Me: It's not secured with a finger print, but with a password, and I assert my Fifth Amendment protected right not to give that to you.

LEO: I don't believe you, now use all of your fingers to attempt to unlock your phone.

Me: If you insist... 

• Reply 18 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Soli said:

If Apple were to implement this (which they won't, because of it's potential to be accused of what LEO will call "destroying evidence" even if there was nothing on the device that could reasonably be called evidence of anything), then every single finger on both of my hands would be the "poison" one.

LEO: I need you to unlock your phone.

Me: Got a warrant?

LEO: I don't need a warrant to compel you to unlock your fingerprint secured phone.

Me: It's not secured with a finger print, but with a password, and I assert my Fifth Amendment protected right not to give that to you.

LEO: I don't believe you, now use all of your fingers to attempt to unlock your phone.

Me: If you insist... 

Watch those Sovereign Citizen videos on YouTube much?
  • Reply 19 of 29
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    gadgetdon said:
    Stuff like this used to upset me too.  But you have to understand that it's a business and developers have to come up with ideas for revenue all the time.  Can't blame AgileBits at all.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    techno said:

The idea is that getting out of "travel mode" takes a non-trivial action by the user so that they can avoid doing so while complying with lawful orders.

I don't see Apple being this overt, because it's not great PR to be seen as adding features specifically to "defeat" the police (as opposed to protecting against theft and criminals).  I think they'll let 1Password and others serve this market. 
    I also don't understand why people get super excited about a feature like this. If you're an average law-abiding citizen that's not hiding any criminal activity, who cares if a customs agent looks through your phone? So they'll find a "I love you shmoopie" text to your significant other...bfd. They have a job to do, namely to protect you from those that may wish to do you harm...Travel Mode prevents them from doing that job.

People really need to get over themselves; you're not that important.
    edited May 2017