Sketchy images of Apple's 'iPhone 8' differ on rear-mounted fingerprint sensor [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2017
A series of images posted to Chinese social media on Wednesday are claimed to show Apple's "iPhone 8," but differ significantly from some rumors, and also appear to contradict each other. [Updated with clone allegations]

One pair of photos posted to Weibo show a device with a buttonless front panel, and a twin-lens, vertically-aligned camera on the back. Significantly the rear also appears to have a Touch ID sensor, and lack any glass.

The "iPhone 8" is typically expected to have a glass back for the sake of wireless charging, and embed Touch ID in its 5.8-inch OLED display. Some earlier rumors did suggest that Apple might resort to a rear Touch ID sensor due to production problems, but those may have been resolved.

The images also include a white model in addition to silver, gold, and matte/jet black colors. Apple hasn't sold a "true" white iPhone since 2011's iPhone 4s.

Meanwhile, a render noticed on Weibo by MobileXpose appears to share many of the same traits, but without rear Touch ID.

None of the images depict the new iPhone in rose gold, which might imply that Apple is planning to discontinue the color -- assuming one or more of the images is authentic. Even if they're not fakes, the phones with rear-mounted Touch ID could still be prototypes Apple abandoned in favor of later designs.

The "iPhone 8" should ship later this year, but mass production may have to wait until October or November, putting a crush on initial shipments. In the meantime Apple should have two "iPhone 7s" models using 4.7- and 5.5-inch LCDs, blending some features of the "8" into an upgraded iPhone 7.

Update: Leaker Benjamin Geskin claimed that the first two images depict a clone product, based on an early Apple prototype.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    It better be fake. I won't be buying an iPhone with home button/Touch ID on the rear of the device. Talk about shitty user experience. I'd take the current bezels ove that.
    peterhartMetriacanthosaurusdoozydozenrandominternetpersonvlscout
  • Reply 2 of 38
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    Well these are aluminum. If real, could they be the 7s?
  • Reply 3 of 38
    It better be fake. I won't be buying an iPhone with home button/Touch ID on the rear of the device. Talk about shitty user experience. I'd take the current bezels ove that.
    Rear..

• Reply 4 of 38
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    You wouldn't design a car where you had to unlock the door from underneath it. I'm sure Apple won't make a phone that way.
    Metriacanthosaurusdoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 38
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    Is this worth gaining room for more screen area? Not sure...Seems awkward in general but just thinking about doing Apple Pay transactions with this...yuck.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    peterhartpeterhart Posts: 157member
    Personally, I hope Apple does not discontinue the Rose Gold option. My Watch and 9.7" iPad Pro are Rose Gold...first world problem if I have to replace everything, lol. I'm also not in favor of the Touch ID module on the rear...crossing fingers!
  • Reply 7 of 38
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I'm definitely not buying the OLED model if the finger print sensor is on the back. I highly doubt Apple would do something like that though. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Bah! No one knows anything yet, so this is, again, just a load of ....

at at some point, we will know, as we get "real" close to release, and an actual back pops up. Then, whoever was lucky enough to get their guess right will make waves about it.

im not even thinking about it yet. I bought a 7+, as did my wife and daughter. None of US are interested in going back to smaller screens anyway, so it's highly unlikely that we would buy an 8, no matter what it is, or does. We'd rather wait until next year and see if it moves to the + sized screen.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    My guess is that this is fake. It seems too odd, and were it true the implementation looks awkward. But lets assume it is real - does Apple have a history of shipping products with shitty user experiences? I can only think of one instance personally. So to dismiss it out of hand is silly cuz you just don't know. 
    But yeah, it looks like an April fools joke. :)
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Every one of these Touch ID-on-the-back posts just ignores all the other differences like a metal back, flash not contained in the camera cutout, totally different looking shape, etc.

This isn't anything real.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    paxman said:
    My guess is that this is fake. It seems too odd, and were it true the implementation looks awkward. But lets assume it is real - does Apple have a history of shipping products with shitty user experiences? I can only think of one instance personally. So to dismiss it out of hand is silly cuz you just don't know. 
    But yeah, it looks like an April fools joke. :)
    I can dismiss it because how would you use it without having to pick up the device? To me having to pick up the device to unlock it is crappy.

No Apple doesn't have a history of crappy experiences but sometimes they get it wrong like when the latest Apple TV was released with no BT keyboard or remote app support. Or even the Apple Pencil, which I love. I wish it had a power switch. I carry it with me in my work briefcase. Sometimes when I haven't used it in a while and go to use it the battery is almost dead. Sure I can stick in the iPad and get some juice pretty quick but would it have killed them to add a little on/off switch? Sometimes functionality and practicality trump purity. 
  • Reply 12 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It better be fake. I won't be buying an iPhone with home button/Touch ID on the rear of the device.
    They are fake. Relax. Even if Apple put Touch ID on the back I'd continue to call it dumb and I'd have to presume Ive and Schiller have lost it. Won't happen. Some of these may be red herrings leaked by Apple.

update: they have already been identified as clones
    edited May 2017 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 13 of 38
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    IF the sensor is on the back, I'd trust Apple to know what they're doing an implement it in a way that is reliable. Proclaiming that you would never buy an iPhone with this placement, no matter what, even though you know nothing else about such a theoretical device, is extremely childish.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 38
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    The ones without the TouchID on the back show a mic hole on the sapphire camera cover. Those are fake, because drilling the sapphire that way is meaningless and Apple wouldn't put a mic under sapphire to expose its internals.

The ones with the TouchID on the back are fake too. See the mic hole and the flash outside the camera bump, those are not even aligned with the cameras. 
  • Reply 15 of 38
    melgross said:

at at some point, we will know, as we get "real" close to release, and an actual back pops up. Then, whoever was lucky enough to get their guess right will make waves about it.

im not even thinking about it yet. I bought a 7+, as did my wife and daughter. None of US are interested in going back to smaller screens anyway, so it's highly unlikely that we would buy an 8, no matter what it is, or does. We'd rather wait until next year and see if it moves to the + sized screen.
    From virtually all speculations (rumors), the 8 will have a larger screen (5.8") in a body not much bigger than an iPhone 7. That will be quite an upgrade in itself.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    FAAAAAAAKE
  • Reply 17 of 38
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    S8 looks much better and modern. Hope this is no where near what final iphone 8 will look like. And pleeeeease.. no fingerprint sensor on the back.. terrible !
  • Reply 18 of 38
    ireland said:
    It better be fake. I won't be buying an iPhone with home button/Touch ID on the rear of the device.
    They are fake. Relax. Even if Apple put Touch ID on the back I'd continue to call it dumb and I'd have to presume Ive and Schiller have lost it. Won't happen. Some of these may be red herrings leaked by Apple.

update: they have already been identified as clones
    I have to say that as we're talking here, I'm a little bit concerned. What if the rumors that Apple hasn't gotten it quite right yet with the front button under the screen? Apparently, Samsung was trying for that this year too, but couldn't do it, and so had no room for the button anywhere other than that awkward spot. Hopefully, Apple has thought about that early on in the process, so if they couldn't do it, it would at least be in a better spot.

the other rumor is that it works, but that the part is difficult to build, and so yields are still lower than needed for timely release.

im not yet ready to believe it's all working the way they want. 
  • Reply 19 of 38
    melgross said:

From virtually all speculations (rumors), the 8 will have a larger screen (5.8") in a body not much bigger than an iPhone 7. That will be quite an upgrade in itself.
    If you look at the sizes of the phones, the expectation is that this phone is sized between the 4.7 and the 5.5 model. The expectation is that the screen is equivalent to a 5.2" screen, in actual use. No, I don't understand it either, unless it's another of those new 2:1 ratio screens, or an 18:9. That could explain it. 
  • Reply 20 of 38
    I've been using the $99 iPhone battery case for about a year now and I LOVE it.  I never run out of power and I will miss it when I upgrade to a new phone.  Whatever Apple does, I hope the "wireless" charging and placement of the touchID don't preclude them selling an iPhone 8 equivalent.