Honda's 2018 Odyssey coming Thursday with Apple CarPlay support

Posted:
in iPhone
Honda's latest vehicle with Apple CarPlay, the 2018 Odyssey minivan, will officially begin arriving at U.S. dealerships on Thursday.

The base LX trim of the new Odyssey costs $29,990 -- people wanting to use CarPlay or Android Auto, however, will have to upgrade to the $33,860 EX, which includes other extras like SiriusXM radio, driver-assist technologies, and support for Honda's CabinControl app for iPhone and Android. The latter lets users interact with audio, climate, and navigation systems.

For the expense, people will also get to use CarPlay on an 8-inch touchscreen, roughly the size of Apple's iPad mini.

Honda was originally slow to adopt CarPlay, but has been accelerating support since 2016, bringing lines like the Accord, Civic, and CR-V onboard. Recently it revealed that its cutting-edge Clarity Electric and Plug-in Hybrid models will support the technology.

The automaker will have some work to do to catch up with companies like Kia, Chevrolet, and Volkswagen, which have many more compatible models. Ford recently updated its SYNC 3-equipped 2016 vehicles with CarPlay support, including inexpensive models like the Focus and Fiesta.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Is there a place where CarPlay usability is tested across vendors?

Just because the UI and processing are being pushed from the iPhone itself doesn't mean that the experience is the same. I've tested several and the lag can be significant because of the proficiency of the automobile manufacture's infotainment* setup that allows for the UI-passthrough.

* Infotainment is a horrible word. If anyone has a better term I'm very open to adopting it.
    badmonkpscooter63
  • Reply 2 of 9
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
     I applaud Honda for putting CarPlay in the Odyssey but I fault them for a) using CarPlay as a lure to make you shell out an extra $4K for a minivan, and 2) making somewhat crappy transmissions for the Odyssey.
    badmonk
  • Reply 3 of 9
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    512ke said:
     I applaud Honda for putting CarPlay in the Odyssey but I fault them for a) using CarPlay as a lure to make you shell out an extra $4K for a minivan, and 2) making somewhat crappy transmissions for the Odyssey.
    I think Hyundai is including CarPlay with nearly every model that has a large color display, and at no additional cost.

I think I saw an article recently where it'll be standard with an entire model line, even with the base unit.
    badmonk
  • Reply 4 of 9
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Good for Honda customers. Waiting for wireless CarPlay. Where does that idiot Toyota stand on CarPlay ? Unfortunately Toyota is always few years behind Honda and others implementing useful technology. But, instead of forcing customers to upgrade to EX model, why not Honda offers CarPlay as standard feature on all models of Odyssey ?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    512ke said:
    Since we're talking about bundled options (you can't get CarPlay a la carte), it might make more sense to compare the cost of last year's technology bundle to this year's.  But since it's still a bundle, even that's not really definitive.

Generally, though, this really isn't anything new.  Car makers used to feature, say, Bose in some upgraded sound systems.  Did that upset you too?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    sog35 said:
    512ke said:
    Whats worse is they give you some CRAPPY touch screens. Not multi-touch. 

I mean how much does a true multi-touch screen cost?  $30?  Why not use a decent screen (like on those crappy $50 Kindle Fire) instead of those pressure sensitive screens that are crap.

And this does ruin the user experience. You can't use pinch and zoom on Maps but rather have to press a minus or plus icon. Total crap
    Not only do you know nothing about Apple, you know nothing about cars too.  Honda's DisplayAudio stereo, like other Navigation/CarPlay systems, does in fact support swiping and pinch-to-zoom in and out features.  You can also tap and swipe on the screen.  The DisplayAudio stereo always supported these features, since their introduction in 2014, long before Apple's CarPlay was a feature.  
  • Reply 7 of 9
    512ke said:
    Honda is not using CarPlay as a lure in any way.  AppleInsider and other tech sites use the headline for clickbait.  People buying a Honda minivan, or any vehicle, have no problem spending more money for an EX model with a substantial list of extra features, including CarPlay, in their decision making process.  Honda's EX and above models are their most popular models sold, with the extra list of features included.  Many people do not care about Navigation or DisplayAudio systems and will be happy with the LX model.  Also, many fleets buy and use the LX models of many Honda vehicles.  You are correct, all Honda vehicles, especially the V6s have lousy transmissions.  They received so many complaints about the DisplayAudio stereo lacking any buttons or knobs, that they have restored the volume knob/power button in the new DisplayAudio stereos.  Sometimes you would like a knob to quickly adjust the volume, not having to press and hold a button, and wait for the volume to go down.  My 2013 Civic was a lemon and Honda could not repair it after 7 attempts, so I got rid of it and swore to never buy another Honda again.  My 2003 Accord was great for 10 years, but the Civic was crap.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    wood1208 said:
    Good for Honda customers. Waiting for wireless CarPlay. Where does that idiot Toyota stand on CarPlay ? Unfortunately Toyota is always few years behind Honda and others implementing useful technology. But, instead of forcing customers to upgrade to EX model, why not Honda offers CarPlay as standard feature on all models of Odyssey ?
    Feel bad for you guys, BMW got wireless CarPlay and massive screen. To be honest, I'm not really impressed with CarPlay. All new BMW cars have it preloaded and requires you to subscribe at $300 for 20 years or so while it should be free. I'd rather use screen mirroring feature in BMW instead of paying $300 for the option. Rarely used multitouch screen in BMW since I hate to reach the screen, but the iDrive multitouch knob by the handbrake.
    edited May 2017