Apple issues new 3.7.2 firmware update for AirPods owners

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2017
Apple on Wednesday released a small firmware update for its fully wireless AirPods, version 3.7.2, though what the patch does exactly remains unknown.

The update should install automatically the next time a person connects their AirPods to a paired iPhone or iPad, as long as they're stored inside a plugged-in charging case. To check the active firmware version owners can go into the iOS Settings app, then tap General, About, and finally AirPods.

As usual with the earbuds, Apple hasn't supplied release notes. That likely implies minor bugfixes and/or performance boosts, rather than any significant changes in functionality.

AirPods continue to be in short supply months after their original launch. In the U.S. for instance Apple is estimating a 6-week shipping delay for online orders, potentially making it necessary to track down the product at third-party sellers like AT&T or Verizon.

The AirPods are equipped with Apple's W1 wireless chip, which enables a more reliable Bluetooth connection and easier pairing with Apple devices. They can also be paired with non-Apple hardware, but with limited control.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I didn't even know I could update the firmware. Thanks AppleInsider!
    jahbladecalipscooter63watto_cobraRacerhomieX
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Mine were updated and still pair to iPhone 7 immediately.
    peterhartwatto_cobrar00fus1
  • Reply 3 of 12
    peterhartpeterhart Posts: 156member
    Mine were updated and still pair to iPhone 7 immediately.
    Same...so far, no issue and they're already updated to 3.7.2
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    To check the active firmware version owners can go into the iOS Settings app, then tap General, About, and finally AirPods.
    Nope, not seeing "AirPods" in this location.
    iPhone SE, iOS 10.3.2
    AirPods are definitely connected, they're in the Battery widget.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 5 of 12
    mkrewsonmkrewson Posts: 12member
    To check the active firmware version owners can go into the iOS Settings app, then tap General, About, and finally AirPods.
    Nope, not seeing "AirPods" in this location.
    iPhone SE, iOS 10.3.2
    AirPods are definitely connected, they're in the Battery widget.
    Yeah it did this to me as well. I found out that flipping open the lid with the Pods' in the case, a few times will get the "AirPods" section to pop up at the bottom of the list.
    razorpitmagman1979pscooter63
  • Reply 6 of 12
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    How are they already on v3.7.2?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    jodijodi Posts: 4member
    They must update automatically, mine are on v3.7.2 and I didn't manually update them.
    r00fus1
  • Reply 8 of 12
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Soli said:

The update should install automatically the next time a person connects their AirPods to a paired iPhone or iPad, as long as they're stored inside a plugged-in charging case. 

• Reply 9 of 12
    techno said:
    Soli said:

The update should install automatically the next time a person connects their AirPods to a paired iPhone or iPad, as long as they're stored inside a plugged-in charging case. 

I don't know what you're trying to say or if you failed to answer my query before posting. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Has anyone managed to decompile the code for the AirPod part of the update?  Do we know if the W1 uses some "small" ARM core?  I put "small" in quotes because I have no idea what the current state-of-the-art is for how much processing power you can stuff into a chip that is only about 4 mm on a side.  How many (or few) signals can you physically get *out* of the chip that's that size?!  Or is that the "magic" Apple refers to?  "Magical sub-atomic wires coming out of the chip"..
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jswitte01 said:
    Has anyone managed to decompile the code for the AirPod part of the update?  Do we know if the W1 uses some "small" ARM core?  I put "small" in quotes because I have no idea what the current state-of-the-art is for how much processing power you can stuff into a chip that is only about 4 mm on a side.  How many (or few) signals can you physically get *out* of the chip that's that size?!  Or is that the "magic" Apple refers to?  "Magical sub-atomic wires coming out of the chip"..
    What else would it be if not ARM? And we don't need to look at code to know that it's ARM.

• Reply 12 of 12
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    Amazing, good job Apple.