Apple TV Events app updated in preparation for June 5 WWDC keynote live stream

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited May 2017
Apple on Thursday issued an update to the official Apple Events app for tvOS, including a new icon based on the WWDC 2017 logo, and a teaser letting users know they will be able to stream the June 5 keynote -- expected to feature the unveiling of iOS 11 -- live from their Apple TV.

The new Apple Events app is available to download on the tvOS App Store. The app icon features the same art created by Geoff McFettridge, showing a crowd of people gathered around the Apple logo from the top down.

Once opened, users will find a reminder to tune in on June 5 to watch the 2017 Worldwide Developers Conference Keynote. The presentation is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

AppleInsider will also be there live with full coverage of the event, which has been moved to San Jose for this year. It is expected to be headlined by the unveiling of iOS 11, the next-generation version of Apple's wildly popular mobile operating system platform for iPhone and iPad.

As WWDC is a developer-focused conference, it's also expected that new versions of Apple's other major software platforms -- macOS, tvOS and watchOS -- will also be showcased and released in beta form.

In a bit of a break from recent tradition, Apple is also rumored to update some hardware at this year's event, including its MacBook lineup. Specifically, updates for the MacBook Pro, 12-inch MacBook, and maybe even the outgoing MacBook Air could be on tap.

It's also believed that Apple will unveil new iPad Pros this year, including a 10.5-inch form factor with a slightly larger display than the current 9.7-inch iPad Pro.

Another potential unveiling could be Apple's rumored Siri home speaker, which is believed to be a competitor to the Amazon Echo platform. Reports have given the unannounced accessory a 50-50 chance of being seen and heard for the first time at WWDC 2017.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    From the new art, it looks like it'll be the Where's Waldo Developer's Conference!   :D
  • Reply 2 of 6
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Now lets see if anyone can find any clues hidden in the artwork. 
  • Reply 3 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    There's no clues, it's just a piece of art created by a Spanish artist who created works before this that basically look the same, sans the Apple devices. I find the artwork uninspired, but by and large irrelevant to me.

Should be interesting what iOS 11 and Redwood get. I'm simply hoping for far more accurate dictation and cross-platform iMessage—I'm tired of the shit-heap that are third party chat clients—I'm tired of being a testbed for all of facebooks lame ideas for their chat app and I'm tired of giving away my personal information. I'm hoping Apple can find the courage to perhaps lose a few outliers to provide the best possible out-of-the-box device experience and privacy for users who choose to live in an Apple ecosystem.

I also think the argument that iMessage keeps users from switching to Android is one that should concern Apple, because if that's all that's stopping people switching the iPhone isn't a healthy product. I think this is s story people tell themselves that is by and large untrue for most iPhone users. And I also believe for every user who chooses to switch to Android if it gets iMessage there will be Android users of iMessage who feel enticed to get an iPhone.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 4 of 6
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    ireland said:
    There's no clues, it's just a piece of art created by a Spanish artist who created works before this that basically look the same, sans the Apple devices. I find the artwork uninspired, but by and large irrelevant to me. Should be interesting what iOS 11 and Redwood get. I'm simply hoping for far more accurate dictation and cross-platform iMessage—I'm tired of the shit-heap that are third party chat clients—I'm tired of being a testbed for all of facebooks lame ideas for their chat app and I'm tired of giving away my personal information. I'm hoping Apple can find the courage to maybe lose a few outliers and in doing so provide the best out-of-box device experience and privacy to people who are part of the Apple ecosystem. 
    You think Apple should make iMessage available on Android? I hate having to use Whatsapp or LINE to chat with friends overseas who aren't using iPhone's. One of the biggest things I would like to see in iOS 11 is built in RAW support in the camera app. I wish Apple would do that instead of having to use third party apps for RAW support. It would be nice to be able to store photos in RAW format as well. 
  • Reply 5 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:
    There's no clues, it's just a piece of art created by a Spanish artist who created works before this that basically look the same, sans the Apple devices. I find the artwork uninspired, but by and large irrelevant to me. Should be interesting what iOS 11 and Redwood get. I'm simply hoping for far more accurate dictation and cross-platform iMessage—I'm tired of the shit-heap that are third party chat clients—I'm tired of being a testbed for all of facebooks lame ideas for their chat app and I'm tired of giving away my personal information. I'm hoping Apple can find the courage to maybe lose a few outliers and in doing so provide the best out-of-box device experience and privacy to people who are part of the Apple ecosystem. 
    You think Apple should make iMessage available on Android? I hate having to use Whatsapp or LINE to chat with friends overseas who aren't using iPhone's. One of the biggest things I would like to see in iOS 11 is built in RAW support in the camera app. I wish Apple would do that instead of having to use third party apps for RAW support. It would be nice to be able to store photos in RAW format as well. 
    On Android, yeah. I want to use a single app on Mac and iOS for all my chatting and am not comfortable with Facebook or Google getting access to my data.

Mind you, iMessage needs an interface overhaul with a focus on simplification: it's a little confused right now when my mother sometimes accidentally sends me handwritten messages and long pressing on the send button isn't a great interface design idea as it's too easily activated unintentionally. And signup on both iOS and Android should be as easy as signing up for WhatsApp. Give phone number + verify

I have no need for RAW support in the camera, but I can appreciate a number of people want it. I'd like to see 24 fps support too.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Hope the WWDC organizers watch "The Circle" and ensure none of the Apple-execs come off like Tom Hanks and Patton Oswalt. Not sure how Apple can stop the euphoric audience from applauding at all the wrong times though (maybe try live-editing the stream like most rock concerts do nowadays?). That event has become so much like winning a Golden Ticket to Wonka's Factory that those good people are out of their minds with enthusiasm.