TSMC source alleges 'iPhone 8' Touch ID embedded in display, wider screen ratio

Posted:
in iPhone
Potentially confirming rumored details about the "iPhone 8," a report claims that a TSMC representative spoke out about specific details about the new device at the NA Technology Symposium on Thursday.

According to a report published on Friday in the Economic Daily News, Apple has moved the fingerprint sensor to underneath the screen, and not in a penetration on the back of the case. Additionally, the same TSMC source cited in the report claims that screen ratio on the new device is 18.5:9, instead of the 16:9 on the iPhone 5 through iPhone 7 families.

Also noted was rear-mounted infrared image sensors to assist with the camera's range-finding, and to boost augmented reality possibilities on the device. It is not clear if the TSMC source for the report is echoing already rumored features of the device, or has been clued in on Apple's plans.

TSMC has two more major symposiums focusing in its own products before the end of the year, with one in the Netherlands, and one in Israel, both before the end of June.

At the same conference, Apple's chip manufacturing partner announced that it will move its 7nm chip fabrication technology into volume production in 2018, with an enhanced version using extreme ultraviolet (EUV) lithography to debut a year later. "Tape-outs" or first designs, for 12 products are complete.

Risk, low-volume, production of the first 5nm chips from the company will begin shortly thereafter, with the company aiming at 2019.

Apple is rumored to debut three new iPhones later this year in September, headlined by a premium "iPhone 8" that could cost more than $1,000. The high-end "iPhone 8" is expected to be loaded with the latest technologies, utilizing a glass back and curved edge-to-edge 5.2-inch OLED display that will conceal components like the earpiece speaker, 3d facial scanning technology, Touch ID sensor, and FaceTime camera beneath the screen.

In addition, Apple is also expected to launch successors to the iPhone 7 series in similar designs, sized with the same 4.7- and 5.5-inch screens. Conflicting reports have emerged about the screens in the "iPhone 7s," but the latest rumors suggest that that those handsets will stick with LCD display technology.

According to Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, all three 2017 iPhones will feature wireless charging technology.

Very recently, alleged protective cases for the device have surfaced, as well as an assortment of mockups and renders based on CAD documents reportedly used to make the device.
GTO91

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Don't worry guys, it will return to the back of the phone on Monday, and everyone can freak out about not buying it again. And on and on. 
    StrangeDaysmobiusavon b7leavingthebiggbeowulfschmidtfotoformatpscooter63retrogustobrucemcjony0
  • Reply 2 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Yeah the panickers with the "I won't buy this! Bad design, Apple!" are always amusing. Why some people treat every rumor as a press release from Apple I'll never understand.
    pscooter63retrogustowatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    leavingthebiggleavingthebigg Posts: 1,291member
    slurpy said:
    Don't worry guys, it will return to the back of the phone on Monday, and everyone can freak out about not buying it again. And on and on. 
    It may be delayed... until Tuesday since Monday is a U.S holiday. 
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    Yeah the panickers with the "I won't buy this! Bad design, Apple!" are always amusing. Why some people treat every rumor as a press release from Apple I'll never understand.
    People seem to forget the embarrassed Jon Ive when speaking of the camera bump. It was a design decision driven by the constraint of the lens module, in an "acceptably" thin housing. It seem to be a good marketing/engineering tradeoff.

I personally would want to drive down to Cupertino to pillory Apple if Touch ID ended up on the back. Fortunately, that's a UI decision that Apple will not make 10 years on with the iPhone, so, yeah, I never believed the rumors.

pscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 17
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    Well, I'm not panicking. I have a very nice iPhone 6 that works great. I have stated that I won't buy an iPhone with the sensor on the back for the simple reason that from an ergonmic POV, it sucks (IMHO). I'm not panicking. I'll be able to get a nice secondhand iPhone 7 as a replacement. If that is my last apple phone then so be it. I'll go back to a nokia 6310.
    Even if the sensor is on the front, I won't even think about getting one until 2-3 months have passed.
    Where's the panic in that eh?

• Reply 6 of 17
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    LOL at anyone who thought that if Samsung couldn't figure out how to embed fingerprint tech, Apple couldn't do it either. These companies are in different leagues when it comes to design and engineering.
    leavingthebiggNameo_watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So do we just believe the rumors we prefer now?  :p
  • Reply 8 of 17
    igorsky said:
    LOL at anyone who thought that if Samsung couldn't figure out how to embed fingerprint tech, Apple couldn't do it either. These companies are in different leagues when it comes to design and engineering.
    This is still a rumor, which should NOT be taken seriously!!! Another point - It is NOT practical to expect Apple to bring each and every new technology that would be deployed in 200+ million devices every year, compared to Samsung/other Android OEMs who need to deploy it in only 50 million (in case of Samsung) or much less devices (other OEMs) in a year. Classic example is OLED display technology which is expected to drive the super-cycle in the upcoming year. Samsung is using it for last 5+ years in a smaller number of flagship devices compared to Apple and there is NO one who could supply them in adequate numbers except Samsung.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 9 of 17
    ignominiignomini Posts: 69member
    That screen ratio rumor has to be bunk, the phones are too long now. But then, my 6s is doing fine, and will continue to do so for years to come. My wallet is loving the fact I have abandoned annual refreshes of computer equipment.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    tmay said:
    People seem to forget the embarrassed Jon Ive when speaking of the camera bump. It was a design decision driven by the constraint of the lens module, in an "acceptably" thin housing. It seem to be a good marketing/engineering tradeoff.

I personally would want to drive down to Cupertino to pillory Apple if Touch ID ended up on the back. Fortunately, that's a UI decision that Apple will not make 10 years on with the iPhone, so, yeah, I never believed the rumors.
    I don't have a problem with the camera bump, at all. 

I also dont know what that has to do with panicked commenters treating rumors as reality every week. 
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 11 of 17

Well, I'm not panicking. I have a very nice iPhone 6 that works great. I have stated that I won't buy an iPhone with the sensor on the back for the simple reason that from an ergonmic POV, it sucks (IMHO). I'm not panicking. I'll be able to get a nice secondhand iPhone 7 as a replacement. If that is my last apple phone then so be it. I'll go back to a nokia 6310.
    Even if the sensor is on the front, I won't even think about getting one until 2-3 months have passed.
    Where's the panic in that eh?

Telling us why you'll never buy a product you've never seen let alone used sure sounds like panic to me. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    Best iPhone yet :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    igorsky said:
    This is still a rumor, which should NOT be taken seriously!!! Another point - It is NOT practical to expect Apple to bring each and every new technology that would be deployed in 200+ million devices every year, compared to Samsung/other Android OEMs who need to deploy it in only 50 million (in case of Samsung) or much less devices (other OEMs) in a year. Classic example is OLED display technology which is expected to drive the super-cycle in the upcoming year. Samsung is using it for last 5+ years in a smaller number of flagship devices compared to Apple and there is NO one who could supply them in adequate numbers except Samsung.

Agree with your point about rumors, totally do not understand your second point about Apple and technology.  My point is that when Apple wants to implement a new technology (Touch ID, for example) they make it happen.  (Just like I'm sure any facial/iris-scanning feature they release will be miles ahead of Samsung.) They don't release half-assed attempts and shortcuts like Samsung with their first fingerprint reader, and now with the awkward sensor on their latest phone.
    edited May 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    igorsky said:
    igorsky said:

Agree with your point about rumors, totally do not understand your second point about Apple and technology.  My point is that when Apple wants to implement a new technology (Touch ID, for example) they make it happen.  (Just like I'm sure any facial/iris-scanning feature they release will be miles ahead of Samsung.) They don't release half-assed attempts and shortcuts like Samsung with their first fingerprint reader, and now with the awkward sensor on their latest phone.

The point which I have bolded in your post seems to give a meaning "Apple would be the first to implement ANY new technology if they so desire". My point was - It may not be possible for Apple to implement each and every technology FIRST, like OLED for example. Even if they had desired, it would NOT have been possible because of the huge volumes involved. It is NOT a fair expectation as well.

Regarding FPS in the backside of the phone, I don't really understand why everyone is against it just because Samsung mucked it up big time in S8/S8+. FPS can be put in the RIGHT place (below camera, NOT besides camera) on the back of the phone. That is what each and every Android OEM has done (whoever decided to put it in the back) EXCEPT Samsung. It is a design FLAW in S8/S8+. My point is this - if in case integrating TouchID into display needs much more time than anticipated, and if it cannot be fitted within this year, Apple should just go ahead and put the FPS on the backside. People should not criticize such a move, without trying it first hand.

edited May 2017
  • Reply 15 of 17
    That's what happens when people become obsessed with some device and less concerned with the more important things in life. There can't be any other reason why rumors seem to have so much impact on readers. The publishers of articles are just playing some sort of mind game on readers and don't really care if their information is true or false. Having no official sources should always set off an alarm. We certainly don't know if any sources have been paid off by rival companies to start rumors. It's always best to wait until an official announcement of a product takes place. Then you can complain all you want and still nothing will change. I consider this article just another rumor. TSMC does not represent Apple.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 17
    That's what happens when people become obsessed with some device and less concerned with the more important things in life. There can't be any other reason why rumors seem to have so much impact on readers. The publishers of articles are just playing some sort of mind game on readers and don't really care if their information is true or false. Having no official sources should always set off an alarm. We certainly don't know if any sources have been paid off by rival companies to start rumors. It's always best to wait until an official announcement of a product takes place. Then you can complain all you want and still nothing will change. I consider this article just another rumor. TSMC does not represent Apple.
    Absolutely correct. And why would TSMC (a Fab) guys know about display technology in iphones? if the rumors mentioned Foxconn, it would have made more sense (not credibility though). With the mention of TSMC, the rumor lost ALL the credibility.
    GTO91