Apple's iPhone credited with saving life in Manchester bombing

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    pbrutto said:
    Fucking hate these assholes and their godamn bombs. Horrible reading that the nut came to rest in her nose, I'm sure the phone slowed it down at least. I hope Apple sees this and sends her a new one. Hope the best for the survivors...
    The mentally ill taken over by religious  ideology in reaction to western destruction. Endless cycle continues. 
    edited May 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 22 of 37
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    georgie01 said:
    Soli said:
    bestkeptsecret said:
    All in the name of "jihad".
    All in the name of a radical ideology by sick individual(s). Full stop.
    It is, but these guys are not too different from others. Just because someone thinks blowing up a bomb in a crowd is sick doesn't mean they won't hurt someone in a more 'civilised' way (as one of countless examples ... those who brought a lawsuit against the baker who wouldn't bake a cake for a homosexual wedding). People are not basically good, we all act on self-serving purposes most of the time, and we all step on other people to accomplish our goals. While blowing people up with a bomb is certainly far worse than something small like cutting in front of others who are waiting, it comes from the same heart.
    If, for someone you love, it was a choice between being dissed by a baker at her wedding or limbs and organs being torn apart with projectiles of nuts and and bolts and screws aimed at her, which one would you pick? C'mon now, don't be a damn hypocrite...
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 23 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Soli said:
    bestkeptsecret said:
    So true and sadly often condoned by others either not affected or with financial or political reasons to turn a blind eye.  I am reminded of my early visits to the USA in the 80's and being openly offered a rattling tin to donate to the IRA in broad daylight in a public place.  Having grown up in England with the constant fear of a back pack with a bomb in it placed in a pub, shop or other busy place I was utterly shocked that no one else seemed to object.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    bestkeptsecret said:
    So true and sadly often condoned by others either not affected or with financial or political reasons to turn a blind eye.  I am reminded of my early visits to the USA in the 80's and being openly offered a rattling tin to donate to the IRA in broad daylight in a public place.  Having grown up in England with the constant fear of a back pack with a bomb in it placed in a pub, shop or other busy place I was utterly shocked that no one else seemed to object.
    Yeah. Go back to the 80s and you'd assume a bombing in Manchester was by the IRA.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 25 of 37
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    adm1 said:
    mainyehc said:
    All in the name of jihad, but not just any kind of jihad; whether they are from Al Qaeda, from Daesh or just lone wolves, these guys are an offshoot of wahhabism, an extremist doctrine that originated in and is supported by Saudi Arabia (at best, the Saudis don't do anything about it, but they probably suppory it actively, yes)… And guess who's been selling weapons to and buying oil from those pricks? Yeah, the US, the UK et al. This has got to stop, and making the necessary changes for that to happen is in our hands.
    so true, the May regime here in the UK just weeks ago did an arms deal with the Saudis. Sell the weapons, earn billions more for their rich friends and sit back while the innocent citizens suffer as targets of those very same weapons. Oh and just to ensure they're pissed off at our countries, lets bomb the sh*t out of their innocent civilians first to rile them up a bit. smh. Like the US drone attack targetting 2 (just 2!) ISIS snipers in a tower recently... total death toll could be apparently 200+, wtf.

Say what you want about Gadaffi and Saddam (Assad too, if we left him to it) but they kept these nutters in check. This guy in Manchester, his family sought refuge (and was granted!) in the UK after Gadaffi issued an arrest warrant for the father - and this is how they repay our hospitality.
    The U.S. Military isn't targeting civilians. ISIS purposely placed explosives in that building and had prisoners that were expelled from their homes. No way of knowing that from the air. The explosives in the building were 4 times more powerful than the precision guided missiles used to kill the snipers. It was a trap and we fell for it. 
  • Reply 26 of 37
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Don't mention the terrorist's name. Let him be known as "scumbag terrorist" for all eternity. 
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 27 of 37
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    georgie01 said:
    Soli said:
    bestkeptsecret said:
    It is, but these guys are not too different from others. Just because someone thinks blowing up a bomb in a crowd is sick doesn't mean they won't hurt someone in a more 'civilised' way (as one of countless examples ... those who brought a lawsuit against the baker who wouldn't bake a cake for a homosexual wedding)
    What you're implying is completely nutters. The baker was sued because here in the US we have "public accommodation" laws -- if you're a public business you benefit from the publicly-paid-for infrastructure, therefore you have to serve the public equally. You can't selectively exclude people just because you don't like that they're gay. Thus the suit. So to imply that those who brought the suit are in some way being spiteful and are not "too different" from terrorists is just fucking insane.
    edited May 2017 Soli
  • Reply 28 of 37
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    georgie01 said:
    Soli said:
    bestkeptsecret said:
    It is, but these guys are not too different from others. Just because someone thinks blowing up a bomb in a crowd is sick doesn't mean they won't hurt someone in a more 'civilised' way (as one of countless examples ... those who brought a lawsuit against the baker who wouldn't bake a cake for a homosexual wedding)
    What you're implying is completely nutters. The baker was sued because here in the US we have "public accommodation" laws -- if you're a public business you benefit from the publicly-paid-for infrastructure, therefore you have to serve the public equally. You can't selectively exclude people just because you don't like that they're gay. Thus the suit. So to imply that those who brought the suit are in some way being spiteful and are not "too different" from terrorists is just fucking insane.
    I had no idea what his point was. Is he saying that homosexuals or bakers are "less civilised"? Does he feel that discrimination laws shouldn't exist at all so that, say, Dunkin Donuts could say "we serve black coffee, but we don't serve blacks"?
  • Reply 29 of 37
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    An iPhone? Really?

Whatever happened to the Bible, or St. Christopher Cross, or Star of David? This will never do. Pat Robertson had a divine intervention sermon all queued up, and this happened.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    the all powerful all seeing omniscient god, except he needs dumb fucks to carry out his will??
    That is a proof in and of itself that the god is a construct to guide the stupid. The idea that an all-smart and all-knowing god "hiring" brainwashed morons to carry his will is illogical on many levels. Of course, it does not seem illogical to a brainwashed moron.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    georgie01 said:
    Soli said:
    bestkeptsecret said:
    Just because someone thinks blowing up a bomb in a crowd is sick doesn't mean they won't hurt someone in a more 'civilised' way (as one of countless examples ... those who brought a lawsuit against the baker who wouldn't bake a cake for a homosexual wedding).
    Yep, because refusing to bake a cake for gays is just as bad as killing a whole bunch of people by blowing them up...right? RIGHT?
    Sigh...(shaking my head)...

I don't know about you, but I would prefer a person who hates me (over my skin tone, nationality, political views, whatever) over someone who is actively trying to hurt/kill me, ANY DAY. That is because empty hate falls under freedom of speech, which is the most important asset the West ever had and which I have respect for.
    Acting on that hate, however, does not fall under that same category. And also, because words and someone's emotions do not kill other people...Just saying.

edited May 2017
  • Reply 32 of 37
    ireland said:
    pbrutto said:
    Fucking hate these assholes and their godamn bombs. Horrible reading that the nut came to rest in her nose, I'm sure the phone slowed it down at least. I hope Apple sees this and sends her a new one. Hope the best for the survivors...
    The mentally ill taken over by religious  ideology in reaction to western destruction. Endless cycle continues. 
    You are naive to think that it was cause by the west meddling in the middle east. That is evident from the fact that you are missing one small point.
    Islam itself has only one goal - to get the whole world under its control, because it's a religion of conquest, the point of which is to convert the whole World to Islam in order to please Allah, and violence is just one of the ways of doing it.

What actions those kafirs/infidels take or don't take (meddling or sitting quietly on the other side of the planet), is irrelevant, because they do not affect the goal. Also, any action/inaction of infidels can/will be turned into a useful ideological asset.

In other words, no matter what you do, you can't please them and make them stop if you go against their goal (unless you convert to Islam, of course).
    There is no cycle. There is just them trying to advance their position toward the goal and negotiations can't stop it, because their goal is not to prevent violence, but to come with violence and take over.

THAT is why, kafirs like you will fail every single time when negotiating with them on any peace treaty.
    Now, look at how Israel tried to negotiate with Gaza and tell me with a straight face that it ain't so...  Israel offered them a detrimental to itself conditions of peace treaty and they rejected those every single time. Why? Because making peace is not on their plan, and in fact it would be counterproductive to their goal!
    edited May 2017 tallest skil
  • Reply 33 of 37
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    macgui said:

bells said:
    Seems like the brother of the victim shared the story.

That may be. He may not have been trying to promote the iPhone itself, but to gain as much solace and relief as possible from a devastating and painful situation.

His sister did survive, but does and will suffer pain, both physical and physiological, for quite some time.

He's possibly trying to make the best out of a horrific situation, realizing that he may have almost lost his sister, while others lost friends and family.

AI's use of this as a story may indeed be questionable journalism or not even real journalism at all. But tech sites aren't where I go for world new and journalistic integrity.

On a less humanitarian note, I wonder what part, if any, did the change in alloys play so I don't take particular offense to this article, though I think it could have been writing with more sensitivity. 
    Human angle story, trying to personalize the story and make it less impersonal, is indeed journalism; not everybody agrees that's its worth bothering with though.
    People caught in those events always want to share their stories, which is made easier through social media.

Putting a Apple saved her life spin on the story and promoting it is mostly done by the editor and done mostly for clicks and money.
    That's last hard sell part is indeed the part that may be questionable, especially on a Apple related site (it would be less so if the story was told on the BBC or by The Gardian).

• Reply 34 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    pbrutto said:
    …a holy book that does not mention murduring civilians…
    Please don’t make me turn this thread into another vessel for truth. Just know that you are 100% incorrect and never say anything like this again.
    Soli said:
    bestkeptsecret said:
    Yeah, that’s jihad.
    edited May 2017 anton zuykov
  • Reply 35 of 37
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    First a disclaimer:
    FACETIOUS

fa·ce·tious
    fəˈsēSHəs/

tallest skil
  • Reply 36 of 37
    If an Apple iPad is used as an improvised bomb on a plane will it also be credited with killing the 100s of people on board?
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Soli said:
    I'm glad that she was lucky enough to not be killed or seemingly suffer longterm damage (although that doesn't seems to be certain) because of a chance trajectory of a projectile hitting her phone, but this article seems to sensationalize the iPhone as being something worth buying for its ballistic protection.

A decade ago we saw stories about the iPod stopping bullets, and there are countless non-Apple products that have serendipitously stopped, deflected, and/or reduced the energy of a projectile. Even books can do the trick when placed behind glass if the projectional fragments upon impact. So why is this a story? Why is 7000 series aluminium a big deal? Harder metals don't necessarily means they're better at stopping a high-speed projectile, and then you have to thickness of the material and the other materials in the device that can help absorb the energy. Kevlar, for example, would be ineffective if it was hard. This case clearly indicates that an angle of incident was involved which would reduce energy, which is clearly the most important factor in her being saved, which means this could've happen with countless other objects, too.

Well, at least the iPhone doesn't add to the bomb blast.  Imagine if this happened last summer and the person was carrying a Note 7.  
    For a mod, that's a comment in pretty poor taste. Put your Samsung hate aside for a second while people are still mourning the death of children a few days ago