Apple Park 3D models, walkways, more show up in Apple Maps

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2019
Apple in a recent update to Apple Maps enhanced coverage of the Apple Park campus area in Cupertino, Calif., with the app now displaying 3D building models, walkways and other points of interest across the sprawling grounds.

As seen in the screenshot above, Apple Park data now includes a comprehensive "Map" view with highly detailed 3D building models, roads running into and out of the campus -- complete with traffic directions -- pedestrian walkways and more. The map even shows a small manmade pond that sits within the walls of the main "spaceship" building.

While the Steve Jobs Theater is labeled with its own Maps informational tag, the ring-shaped office building is not. Ancillary buildings like the R&D facility, fitness center and above ground parking structures also lack labels.

Apple first added Apple Park mapping data to its Maps app in March, offering interested users a sneak peek at the campus through satellite and drone imagery. Those images have not been updated and still depict the facility as it appeared during construction.

The latest drone footage of Apple Park reveals a campus nearly ready for employees to move in. As of last week, contractors were putting the finishing touches on exterior work at the central office building, though furniture had yet to arrive. Landscaping is also largely incomplete, though workers are making steady progress toward planting the 9,000 trees that will ultimately cover the campus grounds.

Employees have already started migrating into certain areas of Apple Park, including the R&D facility. More than 12,000 workers will make the move in a process expected to take six months to complete.

Designed in collaboration with architectural firm Foster + Partners, Apple Park is the brainchild of late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. The campus is being built on a former HP facility, replacing 5 million square feet of asphalt and concrete with grass, local vegetation and intelligently designed buildings powered by sustainable energy sources.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) I never realized just how similar in size the pond and the roof of the Steve Jobs Theatre are. I wonder if that's a coincidence, on purpose, or just an illusion of the limited map capabilities of the image.

edit: Pretty darn close, according to the graphic.

2) Such a weird statement...
    The latest drone footage of Apple Park reveals a campus nearly ready for employees to move in
    Especially after stating…
    Employees have already started migrating into certain areas of Apple Park
    edited May 2017 pscooter63mizhoupatchythepirate
  • Reply 2 of 24
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Soli said:
    2) Such a weird statement...
    The latest drone footage of Apple Park reveals a campus nearly ready for employees to move in
    Especially after stating…
    Employees have already started migrating into certain areas of Apple Park
    I think they were talking about the main building. I'm assuming people have already moved into the R&D building.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 3 of 24
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Presumably, this says something to the ET's?  
    "Fuel & Lodgings, Next Exit"?  
    "Eat at Steve's"?

radster360
  • Reply 4 of 24
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Another nteresting tidbit about the new campus.  Pretty much the whole existing campus, at One Infinity Loop, included most of its parking, would fit inside the blank space in the middle of the spaceship building. 
    randominternetpersonpscooter63calimizhouwillcropoint
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Strange the satellite imagery is so old.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Strange the satellite imagery is so old.
    I'm wondering if they'll update it with stitched aerial footage as soon as the campus is visually complete from above. Well, it's what I'd do.
    mizhoupatchythepirate
  • Reply 7 of 24
    boredumb said:

The next time someone claims that Apple can do anything I'll use this image as proof that they couldn't even get an apartment complex to sell so they could own the entire block.
    edited May 2017 mizhouboredumb
  • Reply 8 of 24
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Soli said:
    ...they couldn't even get an apartment complex to sell so they could own the entire block.
    All in good time, I'm sure.
    cali
  • Reply 9 of 24
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Soli said:
    boredumb said:

The next someone claims that Apple can do anything I'll use this image as proof that they couldn't even get an apartment complex to sell so they could own the entire block.
    Imagine if you worked at Apple and lived in one of those apartments though. You'd be set!
    mizhou
  • Reply 10 of 24
    JinTech said:
    Soli said:
    boredumb said:

The next someone claims that Apple can do anything I'll use this image as proof that they couldn't even get an apartment complex to sell so they could own the entire block.
    Imagine if you worked at Apple and lived in one of those apartments though. You'd be set!
    That would be nice. I have to wonder how much Apple offered above the normal value. I assume it was significant, but being next door to the world's highest valued and most popular corporation probably means they've increased their lease rates.

I'll see if I can dig up any figures.

edit: That didn't take long.

edited May 2017
  • Reply 11 of 24
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Soli said:
    boredumb said:

Some things are simply not for sale for any price. Money can't buy everything. 
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Soli said:
    JinTech said:
    Soli said:
    boredumb said:

That would be nice. I have to wonder how much Apple offered above the normal value. I assume it was significant, but being next door to the world's highest valued and most popular corporation probably means they've increased their lease rates.

I'll see if I can dig up any figures.

edit: That didn't take long.

They even get their own Apple Store! /s

• Reply 13 of 24
    Actually looking at the apartments, if you work at Apple and you are renting a one bedroom, they are pretty reasonably priced at $2,565. I expected them to be closer to $4,000 which is what you would be paying in San Francisco.
    edited May 2017 baconstang
  • Reply 14 of 24
    JinTech said:
    Actually looking at the apartments, if you work at Apple and you are renting a one bedroom, they are pretty reasonably priced at $2,565. I expected them to be closer to $4,000 which is what you would be paying in San Francisco.
    Especially if you consider that you don't even need to own a car, have auto insurance, pay for maintenance and gas. If you do own vehicle you're still saving time by not having  to drive to work. I'd certainly want to live there if I was a younger Apple employee. Hopefully my office is on the ring side closest to the apartment complex.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    Soli said:
    boredumb said:

I am sure it is probably on their plate. Not aware if those apartments are all leased bases, but if they are I am sure Apple is probably already taking over the leases and probably waiting for them to buy them out. They might either demolish them or they might use them as homestead for new hires or use it as "Apple Hotel" for people visiting for business, interview, etc. Just give it some time.
    cali
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Soli said:
    boredumb said:

I am sure it is probably on their plate. Not aware if those apartments are all leased bases, but if they are I am sure Apple is probably already taking over the leases and probably waiting for them to buy them out. They might either demolish them or they might use them as homestead for new hires or use it as "Apple Hotel" for people visiting for business, interview, etc. Just give it some time.
    Did you read the thread? Jobs tried to buy the complex over a half a decade ago from Irvine Company before they broke ground or completed the plans for Apple Park. This isn't some clever scheme where Irvine is falling right into Apple's trap. They tried, they couldn't come to an accord, and now the owners will be demolishing them so they can build up 3x as many units that are smaller and cost more because of its location next to Apple Park. Apple employees renting the apartments and Apple, Inc. doing the same for certain visitors isn't Apple owning the property, which is proof that Apple can't always get or do anything they want simply because someone makes an unreasonable statement like "Apple should do this for me because Apple can do anything."
    edited May 2017 randominternetpersonbaconstangradarthekat
  • Reply 17 of 24
    JinTech said:
    Wow.  "Rent for the new units is unknown at this time, but rent for a one-bedroom, one-bath unit at the current complex starts at $2,675 per month."  The definition of "pretty reasonable" is a lot different than I would have thought.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    JinTech said:
    Wow.  "Rent for the new units is unknown at this time, but rent for a one-bedroom, one-bath unit at the current complex starts at $2,675 per month."  The definition of "pretty reasonable" is a lot different than I would have thought.
    lol By reasonable I mean if you work at the Apple Park campus.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    JinTech said:
    JinTech said:
    lol By reasonable I mean if you work at the Apple Park campus.
    $20,100 a year at the current, low price seems hefty to me, and I live in an expensive California city. Over a 30 years, that's nearly $1 million, or, if we put that into home purchase with the interest rate that Google brought up on their built-in calculator (3.92%), we get a $565,800 home for $2,675 per month if we pay it off with a 30 year fixed loan.

But that doesn't include taxes, maintenance, and other bills, like water, sewage, and trash (often included in apartment costs).

Then you have Zillow saying the median home value for Cupertino is over $1.8 million.

So what can you get for a little over a half million? Surely more square footage and rooms than a bedroom apartment, and you could probably rent out a room or two to help get some income on your investment, but that's another issue in itself.

Plus, you're not going to be that close to work, you're stuck with a house if you decide to, say, relocate with the same company or jump to other company.

Finally, if you're social you won't get the benefit of the community aspect of the apartment complex, which, when you're young and flush with cash can be one hell of a good time.
    edited May 2017 patchythepirate
  • Reply 20 of 24
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I wonder if (the slightly confusing) Apple Park Way and (the amusingly named) Pruneridge Avenue will be the only named roads in the spaghetti of Apple Park.  Would be quite nice if the walkways could have little Apple-centric names too.