Early case for Apple's 'iPhone 8' may mistake logo cutout for fingerprint sensor

Posted:
in iPhone
A new case for Apple's yet-to-be-released "iPhone 8" differs from previous leaks, suggesting not just a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor, but a bigger-than-expected camera layout.

On the left and right are cases for the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.
On the left and right are cases for the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.

The case, from an unknown maker, is based on a "recent CAD drawing," according to Dutch site Techtastic. The back includes a circular cutout in the center, and a long vertical one for the camera in the upper-left.

An included paper insert implies that the central cutout is for a Touch ID sensor. More likely though is that in the source schematics, the space is meant for an Apple logo, given similar cutouts on other cases and CAD renders. In shipping products, Touch ID sensors have also been much smaller.

Reports have further suggested that Apple is successfully embedding Touch ID into the "iPhone 8's" 5.8-inch OLED display. The company was at point thought to be considering a rear-mounted sensor, but mainly as a fallback.

The case's camera cutout is unusually tall compared to recent leaks. The insert implies that this is because Apple will separate the flash and microphone from the main ring, but that would also differ from rumors.

Apple is forecast to announce the "iPhone 8" at a September press event. Some other features should include a "virtual" home button, wireless charging, faster cable charging, and 3D facial recognition.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Maybe it is for another lens of some type?
    please make it not be for Touch ID.  I used an S8 last week, putting the money touch sensor on the back is just bad ergonomics.
    it would be much better to retain the bottom bezel.

FatmanMuntz
  • Reply 2 of 15
    DanielEranDanielEran Posts: 290editor
    Induction charging.
    vkateliev
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Induction charging.
    Does that require a hole?

I'm with you though, there is just as much evidence to substantiate that as anything else. It is the fake tech news alone that has drummed up the faux controversy of Touch ID-on-the-back...in absence of anything of real substance to talk about.
    radarthekatFatman
  • Reply 4 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    entropys said:
    please make it not be for Touch ID.  I used an S8 last week, putting the money touch sensor on the back is just bad ergonomics.
    It's not for Touch ID. Relax. Apple are not design morons. Give them some credit.

As Dan said above and I've said a few times. It could be for Apple's short range wireless charging sensor. And if you think about the location here, it would perfectly align with the Apple logo, so it would allow Apple to describe exactly where it is to customers without needing to have an arrow pointing to it. Or... you can see the sensor in which case they'd put it below the logo. Either way it would be one of those two situations: under the Apple logo and hidden or below it and purposely highlighted.
    edited May 2017 FatmanMuntzanton zuykovMetriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 5 of 15
    iRaul96iRaul96 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    This is the clone based on "early prototype model". I don't think that is the final model.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    What is this secret hole? The suspense is killing me!
  • Reply 7 of 15
    redgeminiparedgeminipa Posts: 555member
    When I first say the flash between the lenses, that seemed bad. It would be easy to get glare in the pictures, and Apple would never want that (nor would anyone else). The flash needs to be outside of the cover sapphire. This seems more logical. 
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I wondered if Apple released this "prototype" that have sensor on back of iPhone to trap the leaker while keeping the other one contained... that's my theory.
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I have the feeling, that this whole thing with touch id on the back came from nowhere. Yes, these are all rumours, but every rumour season I have the feeling that some new fake rumours Chinese site is trying to bring itself into the spotlight by provoking people with nonsense like this. Already a couple of months ago, form the initial schematics that we saw, was much more probable that this rounded form on the back has something to do with inductive charging, as mentioned above.
    Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 10 of 15
    CelTanCelTan Posts: 46member
    I always wonder why Apple not just gets some junior designers to push out random designs and "leak" them on the market, "Apple makes a round phone" - "no, its oval", "No, its square"... And just make the competition run after something that gets hyped up... it would be funny for someone to come up with a triangular phone because thats where  leaks went. - First to market for any price and without sense.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Apple must be narrowing in on the leakers with all of these controlled fake design releases. There's no escaping now, leakers! The call came from inside the house!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    1. Apple is having problems with Touch ID.
    2. Touch ID is now on the back of the phone.
    3. Apple may have now resolved problems with Touch ID on the front.
    4. Touch ID is on the front again.
    5. Apple could change their minds last minute and do either.

I just want to point out how this ^ is a fake, invented narrative created and parroted by the tech media. Notice how perfectly linear it is? It has to be, because stories for the masses have to be linear to be easily consumed. The tech media, even with its misconstrued rumblings from supply chain sources, are not privileged to this kind of information. This has ALL taken shape over the course of about 1.5 months.

Here's some reality for you:

1. A major hardware/design consideration like the location and implementation of the Touch ID sensor would have been settled last year, long before these rumors ever came to exist. So it is fraudulent to pretend like these things are ongoing, or have been during the early part of this year.

2. The very existence of this fake controversy is proof of its fraudulent nature. The reason it is "controversial" is because Touch ID on the back of the iPhone would be horrific, a terrible user experience that ruins that utter perfection that is iPhone. Apple would never ruin the iPhone UX, so it is patently impossible for such a change to occur. Apple would sooner scrap its plans for an edge-to-edge display than relocate Touch ID to the back of the phone.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Folks, here is the thing, does anyone believe Apple is prototyping products in Asia. With almost 100% certainty, Apple does all prototype in house with their own manufacturing tech. They have their own machine shops and labs they can build whatever they need to prove out the design. You can almost be assured most of the parts in the phone are shipped or hand delivered from the company who design the parts, they are not going to any of their contract manufacturers. Also the PCB are being made in the US at one the best PCB that exist in the US. One time I was at a PCB manufacturer way back and saw a non-descripted round PCB and was not sure what is was, asked the supplier and they would not say anything about. Turned out 18 months later it was in the new Imac with the round based. The PCB manufacture was in southern Calif and Apple uses them for all their prototypes.

For the above reasons, what we see coming out of Asia are companies mocking thing up base on all the rumors flying around. Non of what we are seeing are prototypes which their origins based on any actual Apple designs. Only after Apple proves out the design will all the design documents be turned over to the Asian manufacturing partners. and we are still a few months away from that.

Also, all the crap we are hearing about Apple having issue is coming from the investment communities, why they can make money creating FUD. Remember this, no one had any idea what the Apple watch would look like, there were rumors they were making a watch, but no one could turn up a single prototype from the Asian market until after Apple announce the product and it shifted to the Asian manufacturers. This because all the prototyping was done in house.

• Reply 14 of 15
    DCJ0001DCJ0001 Posts: 63member
    Induction charging.
    Inductive charging. 
  • Reply 15 of 15
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    ireland said:
    entropys said:
    It's not for Touch ID. Relax. Apple are not design morons. Give them some credit.

As Dan said above and I've said a few times. It could be for Apple's short range wireless charging sensor. And if you think about the location here, it would perfectly align with the Apple logo, so it would allow Apple to describe exactly where it is to customers without needing to have an arrow pointing to it. Or... you can see the sensor in which case they'd put it below the logo. Either way it would be one of those two situations: under the Apple logo and hidden or below it and purposely highlighted.

I hope Apple comes up with a better-designed dock to facilitate the charging.