North Korean company launches own 'iPad,' ignoring Apple trademarks

Posted:
in iPad
A North Korean firm, Ryonghung, has reportedly launched a tablet called the "iPad," seemingly exploiting international trademarks in the knowledge that Apple is unlikely to come knocking.

The North Korean product is a low-powered machine with a quad-core, 1.2-gigahertz processor, 1 gigabyte of RAM, and just 8 gigabytes of storage, according to NK News. It does however come with a keyboard and HDMI, both of which are paid add-ons for Apple's iPad.

Ryonghung's product is claimed to have "more than 40 apps," although some of these may have to be loaded through SD cards. While it's also said to have "network connection" capabilities, users are likely to be forced onto North Korea's highly-restricted intranet.

Gizmodo noted that the hardware appears similar to an Android tablet seen in North Korean stores as far back as 2013.

In fact the country has sometimes seen other imitations of Apple products, such as an iMac clone, and an operating system called Red Star 3.0, which mimicked OS X.

The iPad trademark has proved problematic for Apple before. In 2012 the company paid $60 million to settle a dispute with the name's Chinese owner, Proview, despite that entity having long since stopped using the term.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    Should have called it the Kim Jung Un-Pad. I'm sure that would make his highness, the royal POS, giddy as the fat schoolgirl he resembles.
    peterhartsdw2001radarthekatanton zuykovjbdragonmagman1979cornchipAnilu_777chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 48
    IP theft, trademark/copywrite infringement is pretty common all over Asia. It is almost like a cultural norm, and they typically don't understand that they've even done anything wrong.
    radarthekatjbdragonmagman1979cornchipwatto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 3 of 48
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Really it has an 8GB hard drive... I though everyone in North Korea were farmers or soldiers, did not know they made electronics.

Actually I believe most of this is actually made in China and trucked in to the country across the Chinese boarder. 

• Reply 4 of 48
    I got a sweet Ryonghung BOGO IPad Grewpon so I picked two of these bad boys up -- one for me and one for the wife. Killer deal! Thanks, great leader!
    SpamSandwichsdw2001baconstangradarthekatanton zuykovjkichlinecornchipravnorodomwatto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 5 of 48
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Somehow I doubt anyone will be confusing the two.
    thinkman@chartermi.netpeterhartretrogustobb-15jbdragonshaminocornchip
  • Reply 6 of 48
    peterhartpeterhart Posts: 157member
    Should have called it the Kim Jung Un-Pad. I'm sure that would make his highness, the royal POS, giddy as the fat schoolgirl he resembles.
    LMAOOOOO, the UnPad. Love it man. 
    radarthekatanton zuykovwatto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 7 of 48
    IP theft, trademark/copywrite infringement is pretty common all over Asia. It is almost like a cultural norm, and they typically don't understand that they've even done anything wrong.

I agree with you, but, to be fair I would rephrase the last bit.  From the perspective of their legal systems they aren't doing anything wrong.
    shaminowatto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 8 of 48
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    If it doesn't come with the Collected Works of the Dear Leader preinstalled, someone will probably be executed.
    radarthekatanton zuykovcornchipAnilu_777watto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    crowley said:
    The North Koreans will.

They will be told that this is the very same iPad that the world is clamouring for.

We have been selling it to the Western degenerates for years! Now that we have used them to test it, we shall sell it to you!
    radarthekatwatto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 10 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Clearly Apple has been infringing on a North Korean invention.

.../s
    edited May 2017 rotateleftbytecornchipAnilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 48
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Let's look on the bright side. Maybe the North Korean's will use it to hack their own network infrastructure, gaining access to the freer world outside their barb-wire boundaries. This is how the poor and neglected populations of suppressed countries start the journey to self government, whether it would help them or not they would finally have a choice. I don't see Apple really worrying about the trademark violation although they will need to fill a lawsuit in some international court simply to make sure they are protecting their trademark.

I also wouldn't call this a tablet, it looks more like a laptop to me with it's mechanical keyboard (circa 1980).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 48
    I think that's actually rendering of new iPad Pro.
    Anilu_777
  • Reply 13 of 48
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    "Soon the Great Leader will crush the DPRK's foul-stenched enemies with Superior technologies and Wisdom.  These iPads will lead to the economics collapses of the Aggressor United States and its evil doings."   

rotateleftbytewilliamhcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 48
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    We'll see you Kim, in East Texas!
    StrangeDaysrotateleftbytecornchipwatto_cobrasdw2001
  • Reply 15 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    crowley said:
    ...unless you are North Korean. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 48
    fmalloyfmalloy Posts: 105member
    Wow...something to make liberal techies actually support military action against NK...who would have guessed?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 17 of 48
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    briananon said:
    Thanks, great leader!
    What? And that is all you got to thank the dear Leader? Death squad has been sent out...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 48
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    gatorguy said:
    crowley said:
    ...unless you are North Korean. 
    If you are North Korean, you already confuse way too many things in life, and that particular confusion isn't gonna make any difference in the grand scheme of things.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 48
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    I can't imagine how bad of an experience it would be to use this product. Is the product info in [poorly translated] English just for propaganda purposes?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 48
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Finally, a Product Red iPad. 
    williamhnottylerdurdenravnorodombaconstangAnilu_777watto_cobra[Deleted User]