North Korean company launches own 'iPad,' ignoring Apple trademarks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Rayz2016 said:
    crowley said:
    Somehow I doubt anyone will be confusing the two.
    The North Koreans will.

They will be told that this is the very same iPad that the world is clamouring for.

We have been selling it to the Western degenerates for years! Now that we have used them to test it, we shall sell it to you!
    They probably don't even know the real thing exists. This is a major advancement in computers created solely by the incredible scientists and engineers of the Democratic People's Republic. The West has nothing like it.
    watto_cobratallest skilanton zuykov
  • Reply 22 of 48
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Crap tablets that will seem so cool to the clueless few citizen's that can afford it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 48
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    briananon said:
    Thanks, great leader!
    What? And that is all you got to thank the dear Leader? Death squad has been sent out...
    Buit which 'Dear Leader'? The one in N.K or the one that sometimes appears in DC?
    :) :)

baconstangSpamSandwich
  • Reply 24 of 48
    almondrocaalmondroca Posts: 179member
    Here is the Great Leader eavesdropping on Apple R&D: http://kimjongunlookingatthings.tumblr.com/image/91690959599
  • Reply 25 of 48
    If Lord Kim Fat-so has any connections to the company at least they won't have any problems from purchasers with complaints. Even if it doesn't boot up, a user won't want to take the risk of ending up in a prison camp, oops, I mean a re-education camp by complaining about it. What the heck do people in N. Korea need with computers, anyway. They have a one country internet with a sparse infrastructure. Do the unfortunate N. Korean citizens actually have the money to buy something that won't be all that useful to them. Do they even have TVs with HDMI ports? The TVs I've seen N. Koreans using on Youtube look like leftovers from the 1990's.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Does this really matter? Like the article says, it's not like Apple will come knocking. If they try to sell outside of NK or if NK miraculously becomes a country like Taiwan where they wish to be a manufacturing powerhouse and embrace mutually beneficial globalization then there would be an issue, but I don't see that happening in my lifetime.
    watto_cobragatorguy
  • Reply 27 of 48
    ciacia Posts: 252member
    Price?  Is this the same iPad the glorious leader uses?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 48
    It took me 20 minutes to stop laughing to post this short comment.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 48
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    in reality, since they probably don't recognize international trademarks, there is nothing illegal in this. International law applies only to countries that have accepted to submit to it.
    Soli
  • Reply 30 of 48
    maciekskontaktmaciekskontakt Posts: 1,169member
    I think it is dumb idea, but it could be legitimate.Those are local country laws and  Apple does not hold trademark in NK then they can do nothing about it. In other words NK company can sell on local market. Having said that NK is different world anyway and not worth to track except dangerous nuclear program.
    edited May 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 48
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    IP theft, trademark/copywrite infringement is pretty common all over Asia. It is almost like a cultural norm, and they typically don't understand that they've even done anything wrong.
    oh brother.......
    ronn
  • Reply 32 of 48
    What a bogus article where the author doesn't even stop to ask the obvious question "Did Apple register such a trademark in North Korea?"

Anyone who has ever dealt with trademarks knows that you only register trademarks in countries where it makes commercial sense. Is North Korea commercially interesting to Apple? Give me a break. As I said, what a bogus article.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    fmalloy said:
    Wow...something to make liberal techies actually support military action against NK...who would have guessed?
    Yes, because we must invade immediately to protect corporate Intellectual Property!

Or, you know, we could just take the piss, and really worry about important things.
    baconstang
  • Reply 34 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Apple won’t even need to sue. PeeWee PC will beat them to the punch.

• Reply 35 of 48
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I wonder how many will be actually built, and how many would be purchased as opposed to being given to the faithful?
    also, how extensive is the bonus, built in spyware?
    edited May 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 48
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member
    IP theft, trademark/copywrite infringement is pretty common all over Asia. It is almost like a cultural norm, and they typically don't understand that they've even done anything wrong.
    Not a cultural norm and they know exactly what they are doing.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    tommikele said:
    Not a cultural norm and they know exactly what they are doing.
    No, it’s a cultural norm and that’s why they don’t see anything being wrong. It’s not wrong to them.
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 38 of 48
    This oldie comes to mind:
  • Reply 39 of 48
    DCJ0001DCJ0001 Posts: 63member
    It's the new iPad!

I must buy it now!

$19?
  • Reply 40 of 48
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Fuck Asians...lol. Btw, I'm Asian myself!