Apple's 'Carpool Karaoke' spinoff set for Aug. 8 debut on Apple Music

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple on Tuesday announced an Aug. 8 debut for "Carpool Karaoke: The Series," which will be available exclusively to Apple Music subscribers.

The show is a spinoff of a segment on "The Late Late Show With James Corden," and will feature a series of celebrity guests such as Will Smith, Metallica, John Cena, Ariana Grande, and "Game of Thrones" co-stars Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner. There will be 16 pairings in all, with each episode lasting 30 minutes.

Apple's senior VP of Internet and Software Services, Eddy Cue, originally promised that the show would debut in April. Towards the end of that month though the company admitted that the show would only arrive later in the year.

"Carpool Karaoke" is thought to be one of several flagships for original video programming on Apple Music. Another, the reality show "Planet of the Apps," is still in limbo.

In the meantime the company is releasing a string of documentaries about topics like Bad Boy Records, Cash Money Records, and music executive Clive Davis.

Still more projects are believed to be in development. The company has reportedly been expanding its footprint in the Los Angeles area, with additional rumors suggesting that it might buy studio space or even take over Sony Pictures Entertainment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Stick to hardware and software ladies and gents. 
    razorpit
  • Reply 2 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    spice-boy said:
    And die a horrible death from stagnation? Apple is experimenting with content production. They’re starting small with this seemingly inane stuff but people LOVE watching music videos. I have no problem with Apple trying to branch out into areas they see as profitable over time. You on the other hand don’t seem to know where the puck will be in ten years. Apple apparently does.
    edited May 2017 StrangeDayscali
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Eddy Cue's firing set for September 8 debut.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    lkrupp said:
    spice-boy said:
    And die a horrible death from stagnation? Apple is experimenting with content production. They’re starting small with this seemingly inane stuff but people LOVE watching music videos. I have no problem with Apple trying to branch out into areas they see as profitable over time. You on the other hand don’t seem to know where the puck will be in ten years. Apple apparently does.
    If Apple knew where the puck was, we would have had new Macs two years ago.
    razorpit
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    bdkennedy said:
    lkrupp said:
    spice-boy said:
    Right, so what you're saying is that PCs are the future.  The actual puck is skating towards PCs, yes?
    edited May 2017 StrangeDayscali
  • Reply 6 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    bdkennedy said:
    lkrupp said:
    spice-boy said:
    We did have new Macs 2 years ago. We've also had new Macs last year and will surely have new Macs this year.
    mwhiteStrangeDayscali
  • Reply 7 of 25
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

I guess the most polite thing to say --- Good luck with that Apple!

razorpitSpamSandwich
  • Reply 8 of 25
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    There is no reason Apple cannot produce great content. Pixar might be a great place to start since they have a history together. Remember, Apple, like Netflix, is just a producer, not a studio. A producer just needs money and good taste in the arts. Apple has plenty of both. My only concern is that they seem overly cautious. Carpool Karaoke is the best they can come up with? And for some reason I just hate that fawning obsequious Corden character--at least it seems he won't be involved. There are plenty of great directors, writers, and actors who would jump at the chance to create films or series on Apple's dime. What are they waiting for?
    edited May 2017 caliSpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Remember when people laughed at HBO producing original content? I do.
    Remember when people laughed at Netflix for producing original content? I do.

So why is Apple producing original original content so unrealistic?
    robin huberjony0
  • Reply 10 of 25
    My only concern is that they seem overly cautious. Carpool Karaoke is the best they can come up with? And for some reason I just hate that Corden character--at least it seems he won't be involved. There are plenty of great directors, writers, and actors who would jump at the chance to create films or series on Apple's dime. What are they waiting for?
    1) Corden is a character, he's a real person that hosts a late-night talk show. His story is pretty interesting since he was plucked for his show while being a stage performer without any prior interest or consideration. He's not a comedian by trade. Great interview on Howard Stern. I can't find the clip where he

2) Corden is absolutely involved. It's a spin-off series based on The Late Late Show with James Corden's popular segment. Apple can't just steal it from him and CBS. If you mean he won't be physical on the series, from clips that I saw he is on it.

3) It's good to keep in mind that this series is a vehicle for promoting Apple Music and artists/albums on Apple Music. Maybe they'll put the episodes on YouTube or iTunes Store, but since I'm not an Apple Music subscriber I'm actually not sure if I'll be able to watch these episodes in an Apple-authorized manner.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 11 of 25
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Soli said:
    My only concern is that they seem overly cautious. Carpool Karaoke is the best they can come up with? And for some reason I just hate that Corden character--at least it seems he won't be involved. There are plenty of great directors, writers, and actors who would jump at the chance to create films or series on Apple's dime. What are they waiting for?
    1) Corden is a character, he's a real person that hosts a late-night talk show. His story is pretty interesting since he was plucked for his show while being a stage performer without any prior interest or consideration. He's not a comedian by trade. Great interview on Howard Stern. I can't find the clip where he

2) Corden is absolutely involved. It's a spin-off series based on The Late Late Show with James Corden's popular segment. Apple can't just steal it from him and CBS. If you mean he won't be physical on the series, from clips that I saw he is on it.

3) It's good to keep in mind that this series is a vehicle for promoting Apple Music and artists/albums on Apple Music. Maybe they'll put the episodes on YouTube or iTunes Store, but since I'm not an Apple Music subscriber I'm actually not sure if I'll be able to watch these episodes in an Apple-authorized manner.
    He may be a "real" person, but that alone is not compelling to me. Guess I'm just sick of the whole reality/celebrity genre. It arrived on the scene as a result of a writers strike some years ago—producers desperate for unscripted content. Now TV is filled with it. And the no-talent Kardashian types that have glommed onto it. It's lazy and waste of potential for the one possible source that most Americans experience for the possibility of performing arts. Now the only place to get that is HBO, Netflix, etc. Would love Apple to join that club, not the Duck Dynasty one. 

I have family subscription ro Apple Music and none of us watch music videos on it. 
    edited May 2017 razorpit
  • Reply 12 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    bdkennedy said:
    lkrupp said:
    spice-boy said:
    If you're referring to the Pro, they took a chance on parallel GPU processing. It didn't pan out -- but nobody can be right all the time. The fact that they take such risks is why they're the most successful and profitable public company in human history. I know this hurts.

But the 5k retina Mac (which was new 2 years ago) and rMBPs are great machines. 
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 13 of 25
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Soli said:
    bdkennedy said:
    lkrupp said:
    spice-boy said:
    We did have new Macs 2 years ago. We've also had new Macs last year and will surely have new Macs this year.
    What the hell?

what about touch bar?

and where are my CD ROMs Apple? Are you skating at all??
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    bdkennedy said:
    lkrupp said:
    spice-boy said:
    If you're referring to the Pro, they took a chance on parallel GPU processing. It didn't pan out -- but nobody can be right all the time. The fact that they take such risks is why they're the most successful and profitable public company in human history. I know this hurts.

But the 5k retina Mac (which was new 2 years ago) and rMBPs are great machines. 
    And in the future, other things they try won't pan out, just like the Mac Pro, just like the Cube.  For every success they have, there are a dozen failures that people conveniently forget about so they can spread the rhetoric that Apple is done without Jobs. 
    Soli
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Rayz2016 said:
    For every success they have, there are a dozen failures that people conveniently forget about so they can spread the rhetoric that Apple is done without Jobs. 
    I'd wager that the people that are saying Apple can't survive without Jobs are mostly the same people that said Apple couldn't survive with Jobs.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    I have never seen Carpool Karaoke in it's original form. I have no idea what it is. I am excited to see what Apple has to offer. I'm looking forward to this.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    I have never seen Carpool Karaoke in it's original form. I have no idea what it is. I am excited to see what Apple has to offer. I'm looking forward to this.

And if you don't want to watch the clip at least check out the views that this videos get. Now keep in mind that this first aired on his show before being uploaded to his YouTube channel. Now, I've read that uploaded get an average $2,000 for every million views, but it all depends on a variety of factors so I'm guessing a popular show like his and the length being nearly 15 minutes means CBS gets a lot more than the average, but I'll still with $2,000 to keep it simple. At 159 million views that's still $318,000. How much do you think that cost to make? Even if they paid Adele—which may not even be the case since part of performing is promoting on talk shows—I think they're still coming out ahead with just YouTube views.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 18 of 25
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    I think Apple are doing Carpool Karaoke as a hook to getting new subscribers to Apple Music just like Amazon did with the Grand Tour, their version of Top Gear. In both cases they are very popular internationally. It's a smart move and will easily pay for itself.
    Soli
  • Reply 19 of 25
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    bdkennedy said:
    lkrupp said:
    spice-boy said:
    Or maybe the puck isn't the Mac platform? Apple changed their name from Apple Computer to Apple, Inc for a reason. 
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Soli said:
    Remember when people laughed at HBO producing original content? I do.
    Remember when people laughed at Netflix for producing original content? I do.

So why is Apple producing original original content so unrealistic?
    HBO original content.
    Netflix original content.
    Carpool Karaoke.
    One of these things are not like the others.
    robin huber