Nest unveils iPhone-connected Cam IQ with facial recognition, zoom & better audio [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2017
Nest on Wednesday revealed its latest security camera, the Cam IQ, which uses an 8 megapixel sensor to capture 4K, HDR video, supporting features such as digital zoom and facial recognition. [Updated to strike out Alexa/Google Home support]

The Cam IQ relies on Google's FaceNet technology, and will automatically log new faces in the Nest iOS app. People can then be tagged as friends or family, and with a Nest Aware subscription, users can customize alerts so that only unknown faces trigger them. Another added Aware perk is "intelligent audio alerts," which happen if a camera picks up unexpected sound.

Aware normally provides 10 or 30 days of cloud storage, person recognition, and "Activity Zones" for special alerts, such as around a crib.

Although the camera shoots in 4K, it only outputs in 1080p. The extra resolution becomes essential with "Supersight," which digitally zooms in on motion in the Nest app while retaining 1080p quality. A picture-in-picture view of the whole image keeps playing in the corner.

A six-core processor allows the Cam IQ to detect people on-device, instead of only through Aware, as with other Nest cameras. The company has also installed 802.11ac Wi-Fi, two new infrared LEDs for improved night vision, and three new microphones for better reception and noise/echo suppression. A louder speaker has been added for two-way communication, though people will have to wait a few weeks after launch for continuous talk instead of an initial push-to-talk method.

The Cam IQ should ship towards the end of June for $299. A Nest Aware subcription costs $10 per month or $100 per year for 10 days of storage -- upgrading to 30 days costs $30 per month or $300 per year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member
    'detect people on-device'. Can imagine the intelligence services jumping with joy!
    longpathSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    buckalec said:
    'detect people on-device'. Can imagine the intelligence services jumping with joy!
    Especially with Google owning Nest. Reminds me of The Circle. Google, Facebook, and the NSA all rolled into one.
    longpathpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    buckalec said:
    I cannot imagine ever allowing something like this into my home.
    pscooter63rob53longpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    $299?they are out of their mind
    rob53StrangeDayswatto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 5 of 13
    mubaili said:
    $299?they are out of their mind
    Add the "A Nest Aware subcription costs $10 per month or $100 per year for 10 days of storage -- upgrading to 30 days costs $30 per month or $300 per year." and you might as well pay for an ADT Security system. At least this company isn't owned by Google.
    longpathStrangeDaysSpamSandwichpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    I am getting sick of subscriptions. Seems like every device or service comes with some kind of subscription attached. They are like a swarm of tiny vampires sucking on your income every month. Wish it would become standard to offer a pay-once option. 
    StrangeDaysmike54watto_cobrahmurchison
  • Reply 7 of 13
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    I am getting sick of subscriptions. Seems like every device or service comes with some kind of subscription attached. They are like a swarm of tiny vampires sucking on your income every month. Wish it would become standard to offer a pay-once option. 
    I hope that companies can find a happy medium. As with my business everyone wants X$ per month. Then take that per user per month. It gets insane...most people and many companies can't afford this model for everything. There has to be some bundling or other way to reduce the per user per month cost...the problem is it doesn't scale very well from an affordability sense. I don't pretend to have the answer but waiting for a solution that makes sense.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Solution: the monthly service is optional, but if you already have your own cloud data (icloud, dropbox, etc) you can just point it there. Done. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I hope that companies can find a happy medium. As with my business everyone wants X$ per month. Then take that per user per month. It gets insane...most people and many companies can't afford this model for everything. There has to be some bundling or other way to reduce the per user per month cost...the problem is it doesn't scale very well from an affordability sense. I don't pretend to have the answer but waiting for a solution that makes sense.
    This is exactly how Microsoft made their billions, by overcharging for client licenses as well as maintenance agreements. Adobe followed and even AutoCAD is doing it this way. I agree, it sucks big time. They try and say it costs less and is easier to factor into your budget by ONLY charging you a little bit every month but that little bit adds up quickly and becomes a lot of money for any reasonable size organization. You're right about the vampires. Once they bite you, you're forced to come back for more, and more, and more. That's how Microsoft became the largest blood-suckers in the world. It wasn't because their products are better than simply average, it's just that once you're into their ecosystem for enough cash, it's very difficult to get out. Apple doesn't work that way. They provide great products, which you buy without a lot of subscriptions and have started to give the software away for free. When you pay enough )or too much) for a product, like everything from Nest, you should expect to get an equal amount of software and support for free. This isn't happening.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Solution: the monthly service is optional, but if you already have your own cloud data (icloud, dropbox, etc) you can just point it there. Done. 
    Do you know this for sure? Some of these types of cameras don't work with other cloud services.  I have Sighthound running on a Mac Mini and IP record my cameras.  I would consider this camera if I knew for sure it would work with an IP recorder.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    J-J-J-J- Posts: 5member
    No you can't.  (well, not easily or in any way that I am aware)
    The camera feed goes to NEST servers by default, so even if you just want to view LIVE only, you still have to get it from the NEST servers.

I have 3 NEST CAMS and over the course of a couple years, when the NEST servers were down for maybe a few hours or so, it was not possible to even view a LIVE stream.

welshdog
  • Reply 12 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    welshdog said:
    Do you know this for sure? Some of these types of cameras don't work with other cloud services.  I have Sighthound running on a Mac Mini and IP record my cameras.  I would consider this camera if I knew for sure it would work with an IP recorder.
    No, I'm saying that would be the solution to the problem of vampiric product subscriptions, if they wanted it to be. Which they don't, because they hate their customers.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 13 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Waste of money. 

Wired security is still the best solution.    Either get in your crawl space and drop some Ethernet cable or pay someone to do it.   You will be reward with 
    a good camera that records to a NVR, no subscription fees and a wide choice of camera types. 

Google has Billions upon Billions and they're flogging a "not quite 4k" camera on you with poor local recording options?