Elgato intros Eve Degree temperature and humidity sensor with Apple HomeKit support

Posted:
in iPhone
Accessory maker Elgato on Wednesday launched the Eve Degree, a compact temperature and humidity sensor integrated with Apple's HomeKit.

The palm-sized device can sit on a flat surface or be mounted to a wall, and has IPX3 resistance against light rain and splashing, enabling use both outdoors and indoors. To avoid the need for recharging or cable power, it uses Bluetooth Low-Energy and a swappable CR2450 battery that lasts up to year.

HomeKit support lets owners check the conditions in a space via Siri commands or the iOS 10 Home app. People with other HomeKit accessories, such as fans or humidifiers, can set them to trigger automatically based on the Degree's data. Full functionality -- including access away from home -- requires an Apple TV or iPad serving as a hub.

Sensor data also flows into the Eve iOS app, which graphs daily, monthly, and annual trends. This includes air pressure, which isn't displayed in Home.

The Eve Degree will go on sale June 6 at a cost of $69.95. AppleInsider is in possession of one, and is working on a review.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    I am not seeing the need for this device...any thoughts?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member
    I have a dehumidifier in my garage that is set to turn on when humidity level goes above 45%. This could be used to monitor your humidity and if one didn't have a dehumidifier that senses humidity you could use this to turn on your humidifier. But then you'd need a remote 110 volt switch compatible with HomeKit that also can handle the amperage of a dehumidifier.... To answer your question, no, I don't really see a need for this other than it is nice to monitor your humidity and temp levels from afar.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Sure there's need for it. It's a sensor that supplies data, other apps and controllers could utilize it to make decisions. IFTTT, etc -- if it gets to be 80 degrees in the guest bedroom where the dog kennel is, turn on the AC.

Now if only those damn fools at Nest would support HK.
    edited May 2017 tofino
  • Reply 4 of 12
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Sure there's need for it. It's a sensor that supplies data, other apps and controllers could utilize it to make decisions. IFTTT, etc -- if it gets to be 80 degrees in the guest bedroom where the dog kennel is, turn on the AC.

You keep your dog in the guest bedroom? That is just plain mean. But seriously, aren't all AC's controlled by ambient temperature?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    StrangeDays said:
    Sure there's need for it. It's a sensor that supplies data, other apps and controllers could utilize it to make decisions. IFTTT, etc
    But those devices already include sensors, so an external one seems both redundant and superfluous. The device that turns the AC on and off already has a thermometer built in. I guess maybe this could be used as a zone sensor, which seems to be what you're suggesting, but is there really so much variability in temperature and humidity from room to room within a house that there would be any benefit to that?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    For outdoor temperature and humidity? Lol. My local weather app can give me the information. Sorry, this pos ain't worth $20 tome.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

Cough...Ecobee...cough!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    BashoBasho Posts: 1member
    Monitoring a passive wine cellar? There are connected thermometer/hygrometer combos already on the market, but I'd guess few (if any) integrate with HomeKit.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I like the Elgato Eve line very much but with no Wi-Fi support, I can't invest. Bluetooth range on it's own is no use for my home. 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    paxman said:

You keep your dog in the guest bedroom? That is just plain mean. But seriously, aren't all AC's controlled by ambient temperature?
    It's not mean; nor do you know the size, layout, or optics of my house. 

As for the house AC, without sensors I have no idea how you'd expect the only thermostat in the house, which is in the same room as the main air intake, to know what the temperatures are in other parts of the house. They can vary quite a bit depending on room, sun position, distance from blower, etc.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 11 of 12

StrangeDays said:
    Sure there's need for it. It's a sensor that supplies data, other apps and controllers could utilize it to make decisions. IFTTT, etc
    But those devices already include sensors, so an external one seems both redundant and superfluous. The device that turns the AC on and off already has a thermometer built in. I guess maybe this could be used as a zone sensor, which seems to be what you're suggesting, but is there really so much variability in temperature and humidity from room to room within a house that there would be any benefit to that?
    Of course there is. I don't live in new construction, different rooms are differing lengths of attic duct from the main blower, different rooms have different sun exposure on walls, different sun via windows, different states of insulation, etc etc. Having a single Nest or thermostat with a single sensor can in no physical way measure throughout the house.

One of the more interesting products of late are smart-enabled registers, for opening or closing different rooms as needed and/or desired.
  • Reply 12 of 12

fallenjt said:

Cough...Ecobee...cough!
    I've looked at the Ecobee, or course. I find it ugly, its screen seems cheaper, and the UI isn't as clean & enjoyable as the Nest's. In short it's more gizmo-y, where the Nest is pleasing in many ways. It's clear it has ex-Apple employee thoughtfulness about it. Shame about Google.