Latest Apple Park footage shows trees installed in cafeteria, landscaping progress

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2017
Drone pilot and videographer Duncan Sinfield is back with a new Apple Park progress video, this time taking a closer look inside main structure's caf, as well as views of traffic driving in and out of the facility.

Sinfield's latest video, posted to YouTube on Thursday, reveals little in the way of new additions to Apple's new Cupertino, Calif., campus, though there have been a few developments since his last update two weeks ago.

Most notably, work on the main "spaceship" building's interior has commenced, with the central caf now sporting a handful of large planters containing what appears to be local trees. The exact species is unknown as the plants have yet to grow leaves.

Apple co-founder Steve Jobs sought to fill Apple Park with some 9,000 trees indigenous to the area, especially fruit varietals he remembered from his childhood.

Elsewhere on campus, landscaping operations are winding down as contractors prepare to put the finishing touches on purpose-built berms and other artificial terrain designed to block views of the busy interstate that flanks Apple Park.

In another clip, cars can be seen flowing into and out of the twin parking structures located on Apple Park Way. In the background is the mostly finished R&D building, which already housed a number of employees.

Earlier this month, Wired toured Apple Park with company executives. The feature explored the process behind imagining, designing and executing a multi-billion dollar campus, with input from company executives and longtime collaborator, architect Norman Foster.

Apple Park is in large part the brainchild of Jobs. The tech guru envision the campus as a sanctuary of sorts. For example, a two-story yoga room in Apple Park's fitness center is covered in stone sourced from a quarry in Kansas then distressed to mirror Jobs' favorite hotel in Yosemite.

Jobs' spirit lives on in the Steve Jobs Theater, a 1,000-seat underground venue that sits atop a manmade hill overlooking the "spaceship."

Last week, Apple updated its Maps app to include detailed 3D models of Apple Park buildings, roads running into and out of the campus, pedestrian walkways and more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 544member
    I suppose a few months from now, the Apple employees will be moving. Wonder how the interior is doing.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    macseeker said:
    I suppose a few months from now, the Apple employees will be moving. Wonder how the interior is doing.
    Some areas have moved in already.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    ireland said:
    macseeker said:
    Yeah, the R&D building.  I haven't heard of anyone moving into the Spaceship building.  I could be wrong.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macseeker said:
    ireland said:
    macseeker said:
    Yeah, the R&D building.  I haven't heard of anyone moving into the Spaceship building.  I could be wrong.
    Explain to me how you think people will move into a giant campus? Do you think that, say, the IT department and security will have to set up, prepare, and test before, say, accounting gets to their desks, or are we to assume that everyone just moves in at the same time? I'd have to think that IT and security personnel from 1 Infinite Loop have been on-site setting up and working in various sections of the above and below ground sections of the main facility for months now.
    ericthehalfbeecornchippscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I love Sinfield's videos. This is the first time I've seen a shot from over the neighborhood North of the Apple Park. Nice perspective.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Soli said:
    I love Sinfield's videos. This is the first time I've seen a shot from over the neighborhood North of the Apple Park. Nice perspective.
    I like the slow pans and long takes. Allows me to observe details. I, too, liked the high shot. 
  • Reply 7 of 16
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Interesting that the café doesn't seem to have the facility to open up in the same way internally to the ring as externally.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Soli said:
    macseeker said:
    ireland said:
    macseeker said:
    Explain to me how you think people will move into a giant campus? Do you think that, say, the IT department and security will have to set up, prepare, and test before, say, accounting gets to their desks, or are we to assume that everyone just moves in at the same time? I'd have to think that IT and security personnel from 1 Infinite Loop have been on-site setting up and working in various sections of the above and below ground sections of the main facility for months now.
    Wonder why you're so down on people. I'm talking about the permanent people being staffed in the Spaceship. Granted there are techs testing the new facility. Can you provide a link that the techs are permanently staffed there? P.S. I wish Sinfield would place his videos on another website. Stupid YouTube doesn't allow me to view the 4K videos on my Mac using Safari.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    Simple Beautiful! Enjoyed all drone clips so far.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    An open, airy place for trees to eat lunch...
    Apple thinks of everything!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Soli said:
    macseeker said:
    ireland said:
    macseeker said:
    You think 15,000 people can move in at the same time (or whatever the number is)?    People will move in over many months.   I once moved with about 500 other people and even that took several weeks, especially for people who move with paper files, hard copy reference books, etc.   A bit easier for those who just show up with their laptop and few personal belongings.    And as I've posted before, unless local law declares otherwise, the building needs to get a certificate of occupancy before anyone can move in and most places won't grant it while there's still machinery and construction materials in the building or on the access routes.    
  • Reply 12 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Watching this I am struck by a few things I'd not thought of before.  There is for me a huge similarity to seeing early film and photographs of the building of EPCOT by Disney in Florida and seeing this.  Then it strikes me Disney did that in a massive area of land it owned (I always joke it's the size of England)  as they had with Disney World's other parks and amenities.  This meant that an entire infrastructure of roads like I4 and heck even Orlando Airport had to develop around it.  While not on the Disney scale obviously the one thing Disney didn't do in Florida at least, is place their massive structures smack dab in front of countless homes.  Part of me (and you all know I am a huge Apple supporter so i am not saying this to bash Apple) wonders if Apple shouldn't have gone for a more unpopulated location and had the infrastructure developed to fit it, rather than the reverse.  Of course being in California means land prices are astronomical compared to the middle of Florida but Disney also has Disney Land and seems to have done reasonably well developing a new base in Florida.  Is being in Silicon Valley an imperative for Apple's success?  Probably the answer is yes so everything I've just said is moot.  I am glad I don't own one of those homes across the road from Apple HQ though.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 13 of 16
    nathan005nathan005 Posts: 29member
    Don't you need occupancy permits before you can move in. I thought those are issued only after passing inspection. 
  • Reply 14 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Duncan Sinfield: "Newman!"
  • Reply 15 of 16
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Trees are no longer planted. They are "installed."

I'll be overwriting my ficus' older soil with the newer one I'm moving. With progressive thinking like this I'm ready for anything. 
    edited June 2017 Solirajeshkhater
  • Reply 16 of 16
    zoetmb said:
    Soli said:
    macseeker said:
    ireland said:
    macseeker said:
    You think 15,000 people can move in at the same time (or whatever the number is)?    People will move in over many months.   I once moved with about 500 other people and even that took several weeks, especially for people who move with paper files, hard copy reference books, etc.   A bit easier for those who just show up with their laptop and few personal belongings.   
    Thanks for restating my argument. :eyeroll:
     And as I've posted before, unless local law declares otherwise, the building needs to get a certificate of occupancy before anyone can move in and most places won't grant it while there's still machinery and construction materials in the building or on the access routes.   
    Don't be naive. The campus is huge. They can allow unfettered access to certain buildings or even areas of the ring if there is some work being done a quarter mile away on the on the other side of the ring.. There is no requirement that all "machinery and construction materials" from such a huge campus need to be removed before even security and IT personnel can start making bare minimum checks on the hundreds (if not thousands) of computer controlled entryways. This will be done in sections!
    pscooter63