Monitor Roundup: The best external displays to use with your Mac

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    I wish someone was making a high-DPI display with a wider aspect ratio.
    I wish someone was making a high-DPI display with a 4:3 aspect ratio.
    Not everyone wants widescreen or ultra widescreen but don't worry, I'm sure that LG or Samsung will be along with a curved screen before long.
    On a smaller display I can see that, but on something that's the height of the 27" display or larger it's considerably more natural for humans and for most of the productivity apps Apple makes to have a wider display. Our eyes are side-by-side, not atop of each other. This means it takes considerably less effort by your extraocular muscles to look at more area.

Just imagine if a movie screen was 4:3. You'd be seeing a lot more of the walls unless you were sitting very close to the screen, at which point you would be missing the top and/or bottom of the presentation depending on where your vision was pointing.
    I do beg to differ. My previous destop used TWO Dell 24in 1920x1200 displays rotated 90% and mounted vertically. For my work, vertical screen real estate is more important than the width.
    Different use cases....
    You're saying that your use case is the dominate use case for all humans based on our standard biology? Imagine if the standard door was the same dimensions as it is now, but turned 90°. That's not acceptable even though it could technically work. It's like suggesting that cinematic film should be shown in theaters that are vertical? This is a big enough with smartphone video as it is, and that at least makes sense from the aspect of the person holding the phone in the most comfortable way. Your use case is valid just like countless other individual use cases, which is why options exist—and as I mentioned—but your case isn't the standard for what can best work for the average user. 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 22 of 28
    rnb2rnb2 Posts: 61member
    I wish there were more smaller hiDPI displays available - after owning two 27" iMacs and a 21.5", I prefer the latter, especially with the availability of 4K resolution now. Unfortunately, the only 4k display at that size is the LG sold only by Apple, and it's a bit of an odd duck, since it's USB-C rather than Thunderbolt 3. On top of the lack of a FaceTime camera, there's the bewildering decision to put USB-C ports on the 4K display that only run at USB2 speed - anything that isn't hamstrung by the speed (Wacom tablets, keyboards, etc) would still need a USB-A to USB-C adapter, for which you get no benefit at all; should have just put USB-A ports on it.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 28
    None of these have a camera for FaceTime!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 28
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    None of these have a camera for FaceTime!
    That's a feature in my book. 
    SoliRayz2016
  • Reply 25 of 28
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    I have the ASUS PA328 32" 4K UHD IPS Display, one number below the PA329 reviewed here, and I connect it to a Late-2013 Mac Pro.

The monitor will not display an image via DisplayPort when I start up the Mac. I have to use HDMI on boot until I am logged in and staring at my desktop.

If I boot the Mac before I attach the HDMI cable, then the monitor will not recognise that I've just plugged a cable in, so I have to reboot the Mac (which is difficult to do when you can't see anything on the screen). I have to hold in the power button for 10 seconds and hard boot it.

After booting, if I leave both the DisplayPort and HDMI cables attached, the mouse stutters. If I switch source input to DisplayPort and leave both cables attached, I will see the image, but the mouse stutters.

This monitor or the Mac Pro can't cope with two cables being plugged in from the same source, so I have to remove the HDMI cable.

Then, if I reboot... repeat the process all over again.

The speakers are fine, but the controls for changing volume are annoying. They are not tied into the Mac, so you can't just use the volume keys.

I wish I'd known all this before I spent £800 on it. They may have fixed some of these issues with the PA329, but I doubt it.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 26 of 28
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Franke39 said:
    I find 27" monitors too big.
    It depends where you sit relative to the displays. At work we have dual 55" displays. Since they're about eight feet from the user, that works out fine. That's obviously an extreme example, but you get the point. You don't have to increase the distance from user to display very much before larger becomes better.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    LoadedaxeLoadedaxe Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    All 4k displays? Your a site that delves into helping people that use apple, yet no monitors you can recommend for under $500?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Loadedaxe said:
    All 4k displays? Your a site that delves into helping people that use apple, yet no monitors you can recommend for under $500?
    There are two monitors on this list from two years ago today that are less than $500, with one less than $300.
    edited June 2019