Join AppleInsider for live coverage and analysis at Apple's WWDC keynote in San Jose

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

I have no clue about Numbers. We use Excel for our family finances, because that's what my wife uses at work.

Numbers has one advantage over Excel:  You can have overlaying tables in the same sheet.  So if you have another set of data that needs different column widths, you can overlay that over the base sheet.    But in almost every other respect, Excel is far superior.   I thought that at least for personal stuff, I would switch from Excel to Numbers, but it just didn't work out for me and I still use Excel.    

Back in the day, Apple had some word processors that I actually liked.   Unfortunately, they abandoned them and after a time, didn't even support those file formats and I can't open any of those old documents.   So while Pages might be fine for simple documents, I don't use it either - I still use Word even though Word continues to have incredible UI and design flaws.   
    yh1998
  • Reply 22 of 57
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    zoetmb said:
    lkrupp said:
    Here’s the analysis part. Apple didn’t announce all the stuff the rumor mill touted as a sure thing, therefore WWDC17 was a disappointing failure and Apple is doomed. Happens every year now. That’s why I’ll be watching the keynote on my ATV4 only.
    For this year, I don't think what the rumor mill touted is an issue, because I haven't heard many specifics.   I think what will matter to analysts is whether Apple shows anything substantially new at all, which they probably won't.   AFAIK, there's no major MacOS or iOS update coming and no new product lines, if they show any products at all.

The big question is whether they'll show an Echo equivalent.   If they do and it looks better than Amazon's, the analysts might be happy.   If it's more expensive (as it probably will be) with lesser functionality or if they don't show anything at all, they'll be lots of negativity and not just by analysts.    And an incremental iPhone 8 isn't going to wow anyone either.    I think it's very fair to say, even if one is an Apple fan, that Apple innovation has become quite sluggish.   I still have to wonder what all those employees actually do every day when we primarily see only incremental updates on a relatively small line of products.  

What would thrill the attendees is if they showed a specific design for the new MacPro, but that's probably still way premature.  

I have a feeling this is going to be a fairly boring WWDC.

Apple is among the world's leader in spending on Research and Development, and they have spent over 30 billion dollars just in the past three years.  Folks seem to think that Apple is going to bend to their desire to push stuff out that Apple either isn't interested in or doesn't think is ready yet.  Folks also seem to have difficulty in understanding what it takes to develop and release products on the scale that Apple deals with.  For example, when Apple develops something for the iPhone, it has to scale to a couple hundred million of units a year.  You can't just snap your fingers and have all the myriad of subcontractors instantly produce at the volume.  
    radarthekatStrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 23 of 57
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    lkrupp said:
    Here’s the analysis part. Apple didn’t announce all the stuff the rumor mill touted as a sure thing, therefore WWDC17 was a disappointing failure and Apple is doomed. Happens every year now. That’s why I’ll be watching the keynote on my ATV4 only.
    I disagree: Apple only announced everything that was predicted by the rumour mill, therefore WWDC17 proves that Apple have no surprises in the pipeline and thus Apple is doomed.
    macxpress
  • Reply 24 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    lkrupp said:
    lkrupp said:
    I don't believe we're saying that, at all.
    As you can see from the additional comments here WWDC17 is already being declared probably “boring” as usual. And of course the rumored Siri product must be cheaper and better than the competition or Apple is once again doomed. 
    Buy more AAPL when this happens, I'm sure the idiots do know WWDC isn't about new hardware for the most part but the public never learn so they pump the stock and then see it drop and buy.  Happens every year it seems.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 25 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    anome said:
    lkrupp said:
    I disagree: Apple only announced everything that was predicted by the rumour mill, therefore WWDC17 proves that Apple have no surprises in the pipeline and thus Apple is doomed.
    LOL, good one.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    anome said:
    lkrupp said:
    So far predictions for iOS mac macOS really boil down to something will be shown and beta's will be released to developers.
    So if there is a suprise in the tent poles or they hint pretty clearly at things to come is that still all gloom Apple have nothing coming business declining as usual?
  • Reply 27 of 57
    zoetmb said:
    lkrupp said:
    For this year, I don't think what the rumor mill touted is an issue, because I haven't heard many specifics.   I think what will matter to analysts is whether Apple shows anything substantially new at all, which they probably won't.   AFAIK, there's no major MacOS or iOS update coming and no new product lines, if they show any products at all.

The big question is whether they'll show an Echo equivalent.   If they do and it looks better than Amazon's, the analysts might be happy.   If it's more expensive (as it probably will be) with lesser functionality or if they don't show anything at all, they'll be lots of negativity and not just by analysts.    And an incremental iPhone 8 isn't going to wow anyone either.    I think it's very fair to say, even if one is an Apple fan, that Apple innovation has become quite sluggish.   I still have to wonder what all those employees actually do every day when we primarily see only incremental updates on a relatively small line of products.  

What would thrill the attendees is if they showed a specific design for the new MacPro, but that's probably still way premature.  

If only one big thing comes out of this WWDC, I'd like it to be a vastly improved Siri (and I don't even care if it's in a standalone tube/box).
    I can't beleive all the Siri bashing.  A very high percentage of the time It does everything I want.  If not, I just rephrase the inquire and get the result. For a technology still in its infancy it is rather remarkable.  
    lkrupp
  • Reply 28 of 57
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    zoetmb said:
     I still have to wonder what all those employees actually do every day when we primarily see only incremental updates on a relatively small line of products.  
    Messages App Store.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 29 of 57
    zoetmb said:
    lkrupp said:

If only one big thing comes out of this WWDC, I'd like it to be a vastly improved Siri (and I don't even care if it's in a standalone tube/box).
    I can't beleive all the Siri bashing.  A very high percentage of the time It does everything I want.  If not, I just rephrase the inquire and get the result. For a technology still in its infancy it is rather remarkable.  

Some people have a hard time calling a technology that's been with us since iPhone 4s (2011) something in its infancy.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    zoetmb said:

I have no clue about Numbers. We use Excel for our family finances, because that's what my wife uses at work.

Numbers has one advantage over Excel:  You can have overlaying tables in the same sheet.  So if you have another set of data that needs different column widths, you can overlay that over the base sheet.    But in almost every other respect, Excel is far superior.   I thought that at least for personal stuff, I would switch from Excel to Numbers, but it just didn't work out for me and I still use Excel.    

Back in the day, Apple had some word processors that I actually liked.   Unfortunately, they abandoned them and after a time, didn't even support those file formats and I can't open any of those old documents.   So while Pages might be fine for simple documents, I don't use it either - I still use Word even though Word continues to have incredible UI and design flaws.   
    With the change to MS' subscription model, I tend to use Google or iWork first. 
  • Reply 31 of 57
    interdyneinterdyne Posts: 69member
    They will release new Kaby Lake MacBook Pro 13's and 15's and add a new lower price point 13" MacBook Pro at $1,299.

Every spec and price point will be otherwise identical to the previous models.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    interdyne said:
    They will release new Kaby Lake MacBook Pro 13's and 15's and add a new lower price point 13" MacBook Pro at $1,299.

Every spec and price point will be otherwise identical to the previous models.
    But will the MacBook Air 13" continue to be sold?
  • Reply 33 of 57
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    vmarks said:
    zoetmb said:
    lkrupp said:

Some people have a hard time calling a technology that's been with us since iPhone 4s (2011) something in its infancy.
    Are you serious? That's absolutely no time when thinking about technology on the whole -- even electric cars are over a century old. Voice computing is very much in its infancy. 
  • Reply 34 of 57
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member
    zoetmb said:
    lkrupp said:

I can't rely on Siri. The most useful features of Siri are with CarPlay, where I actually can't do a lot of things, rightfully by design. "Send a text to xxx" works mostly fine, as long as the messages are simple text. "Open maps" seems to open to a map of the entire US for reasons I don't understand.

vmarks said:
    zoetmb said:

With the change to MS' subscription model, I tend to use Google or iWork first. 

Numbers has a few quirks, but mostly because it is simply different that excel that I am forced to use at work (and learned spreadsheeting on.) For WP, I can actually do just fine for most of my needs with TextEdit. I am a MS free zone at home. My wife's iMac, however, is a mess. Can't tell you how often she comes to me and says, "how come I can't xxx?" And of course, I can't say, "did you get rid of Word and Excel like I suggested?" Because...well, reasons.

• Reply 35 of 57
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member

zoetmb said:
    lkrupp said:

zoetmb said:

I don't think that will happen till nest year's WWDC. I may be wrong but I'm guessing "next year" is "next December" again, so won't have a mention of it until a year from now at the earliest.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Well...2 minutes late, and counting?
    Funny how the little "button" reads like 11:20 or 12:20, instead of 10:00...
  • Reply 37 of 57
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Why is the video in cinema 2.35:1 wide screen aspect ratio? It's bizarre to see black bars on it ... don't tell me the new iPhones are going to have a theatrical aspect ratio, with pillar boxing for standard 16:9 content?
  • Reply 38 of 57
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    vmarks said:

Given that consumer phones around for 140 years (1877 Bell), digital computers 66 years (1951 Univac), mobile phones (1949 Bell) 68 years, smartphones 23 years (1994 Simon) anything 6 years old is still young. 

Going from the 1949 bell mobile phones to the 1984 Motorola Dynatac took 35 years.

Personal voice assistants may not be "infant" but still toddlers which is much closer to "infancy" than "mature" since we don't normally use "toddler" or even "teen" to describe technology.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member
    Gads, fix the snyc between video and audio. Tim'm lips move, then you hear his words. Sad!
    Mibm15
  • Reply 40 of 57
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Given we have live streams that don't suck anymore what is the point of live blogs?  Is there a commenting system I didn't notice before closing it?