Apple doling out jean jackets plus Metal, iMessage, six-color logo pins to WWDC attendees

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2017
As part of the badge issuance at the 2017 Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple is giving out custom black denim jean jackets, and an assortment of collectible pins.

The seven pins that Apple is giving out in the "Developer Kit" are a flag pin associated with the nationality of the attendee, a six-color Apple logo, a script "hello" that the company has used on several occasions, a Swift logo, an Apple Watch activity rings pin, an iMessage sticker, and a Metal icon.

The denim jacket is manufactured by Levi Strauss, and has an embroidered "WWDC 17" above the left breast pocket.

Apple is expected to discuss new versions of iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS at Monday's keynote speech to launch the 2017 WWDC. In addition to some leaks suggesting some additions to iOS 11, the Apple online store is down so some form of new or refreshed hardware announcement is likely.

AppleInsider will be in San Jose providing live coverage of the event starting at 7 a.m. Pacific.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    andyringandyring Posts: 54member
    Interesting on the logo pin. Probably a gay rights thing is my guess.
    king editor the gratewilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 27
    krawallkrawall Posts: 162member
    I would kill for that jacket...
  • Reply 3 of 27
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    krawall said:
    I would kill for that jacket...
    Probably be some on ebay later today.
    longpathpeterhart
  • Reply 4 of 27
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    andyring said:
    Are you an idiot? https://9to5mac.com/2014/05/19/fancy-a-piece-of-apple-history-apples-original-rainbow-logo-signs-being-auctioned/
    edited June 2017 StrangeDaysyanimacboltsfan17zoetmbking editor the gratewilliamlondonMacProsmiffy31argonautcali
  • Reply 5 of 27
    CynflorCynflor Posts: 11member
  • Reply 6 of 27
    nousernouser Posts: 65member
    I have a box full of old Apple Rainbow lapel pins, Cross pens, keychains and other doodads from the 80's.  Wonder if Apple found they had a few boxes of these in a warehouse.  I seem to recall they changed to the solid color logo with the intro of the iMac.  Perhaps they are bringing the old logo back?
  • Reply 7 of 27
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member
    andyring said:
    Interesting on your comment. Probably a "you're not familiar with the history of Apple logos" thing is my guess.   ;)
    longpathpeterhartStrangeDayswilliamlondontgr1stanthemanargonautcali
  • Reply 8 of 27
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    andyring said:
    Interesting on the logo comment. Probably an ignorant bigot thing is my guess.
    peterhartStrangeDayszoetmbanantksundaramwilliamlondontgr1smiffy31stanthemanargonautcali
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Should give something to each stock holder.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    andyring said:
    Are you an idiot? https://9to5mac.com/2014/05/19/fancy-a-piece-of-apple-history-apples-original-rainbow-logo-signs-being-auctioned/
    I wouldn't be surprised if he's right. 

Why would they reuse a logo they retired twenty years ago?

It's not like Cook's Apple has been shy about taking a stand. 
    edited June 2017 king editor the gratewilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 27
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    Should give something to each stock holder.
    They do. It's cash, four times a year, which suits this shareholder fine. 
    larz2112
  • Reply 12 of 27
    jkichline said:
    andyring said:
    Interesting on the logo comment. Probably an ignorant bigot thing is my guess.
    Nothing in andyring's comment suggests bigotry to me. Ignorance, probably, but not bigotry. A bigot is defined as "a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions." Not sure how you can derive that from andyring's post. For all you know he or she could be gay, in which case your comment would be somewhat ignorant.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 27
    spheric said:
    andyring said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if he's right. 

Why would they reuse a logo they retired twenty years ago?

It's not like Cook's Apple has been shy about taking a stand. 
    Maybe because they have revisited the original multicolored Apple logo several times before, sometimes as a nostalgic homage to their beginnings, or because something new they are releasing has relevance to the original Macintosh.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 14 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Regardless of the interpretation some may put on it, it's good old memorabilia as far as I can see.  I have a bunch of Apple lapel pins and tie pins (I actually used to own an official Apple tie too!) including the multi colored Apple from the late 70's.
    larz2112argonaut
  • Reply 15 of 27
    tgr1tgr1 Posts: 33member
    How about not getting this thread locked, 'mkayy?

Nice swag. 
    retrogusto
  • Reply 16 of 27
    themacmanthemacman Posts: 151member
    andyring said:
    Why does it matter? 
  • Reply 17 of 27
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    MacPro said:
    Regardless of the interpretation some may put on it, it's good old memorabilia as far as I can see.  I have a bunch of Apple lapel pins and tie pins (I actually used to own an official Apple tie too!) including the multi colored Apple from the late 70's.
    I agree. I'm curious to see how much they will go for on eBay. 
  • Reply 18 of 27
    MacPro said:
    Agreed. Cool that you have some vintage Apple swag. While I have none, in high school I wore a Levi's jean jacket adorned with a variety of Rush enamel pins, so this year's swag definitely has an air of nostalgia about it, which may be why they chose to use the original Apple logo. And the nostalgia aspect of the swag and logo is probably totally lost on many who are under thirty.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    The original logo makes for a more colorful pin, and has a certain nostalgic charm akin to that of the "hello" pin that is also included. The whole concept of the denim jacket with a bunch of pins has a certain retro vibe, so it makes sense from that perspective too. 

I remember liking that original multicolored logo when I first used an Apple II as a child in the early eighties, long before the rainbow had any other associations in my mind apart from the rainbow stickers in the rear windows of cars, and I think I still prefer it to the monochrome version. 
    larz2112argonaut
  • Reply 20 of 27
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    Are they giving those out for free ? coz if I remember correctly the stores stuff just got T- shirts with pretty little writing on them, whats going on ? or am I mistaken