Apple previews iMac Pro, the most powerful Mac ever built, coming in December

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    flabber said:
    With the previous Pro desktops you could buy a PCI card and basically integrate a lot into your desktop, inclúding a new GPU, better/bigger HD's and SSD's, and more ram. With the current Mac Pro and the to be-released iMac Pro, that's just not possible.
    It's been already said in so many words, but your comment conflates "pro" with the tech equivalent of "shade tree mechanic".

Pros generally want to generate income, not spend hours or even days screwing around with hardware (which can become an entire drain of resources unto itself).
    StrangeDaysfastasleepchiasuperklotonbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 72
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    flabber said:
    I'm still a little underwhelmed and surprised that Apple keeps naming things "pro" when they're not upgradeable. People have been complaining about the Mac Pro being very much not a Pro device because of all the extra séparate devices one needs to buy to actually get something done. Literally nothing about the thing is upgradeable (SSD, RAM, CPU, GPU). Then they apparently respond to the critics years later (3+ already) by making an iMac "Pro", making the same mistake all over again. I mean, who's going to pay $4999, regardless of wether it's undercutting a similar-specced PC, if you can't upgrade it's so-called "pro hardware" 3 years down the road?
    Pro does *not* infer upgradable. I'm a pro software dev and have never upgraded my storage on anything. In fact after maxing the RAM on day 1 there is no upgrade I need. My days of DIY upgrades and tinkering are behind me -- I just want to get my work done and not worry about it. After 5+ years I upgrade.

And as others noted, the entire point of the iMac line is that its an all-in-one, so your complaints are unfounded as you completely misunderstand the point of the product.
    fastasleepbaconstangwatto_cobrapatchythepiratepscooter63mrboba1
  • Reply 23 of 72
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    flabber said:
    I'm still a little underwhelmed and surprised that Apple keeps naming things "pro" when they're not upgradeable. People have been complaining about the Mac Pro being very much not a Pro device because of all the extra séparate devices one needs to buy to actually get something done. Literally nothing about the thing is upgradeable (SSD, RAM, CPU, GPU). Then they apparently respond to the critics years later (3+ already) by making an iMac "Pro", making the same mistake all over again. I mean, who's going to pay $4999, regardless of wether it's undercutting a similar-specced PC, if you can't upgrade it's so-called "pro hardware" 3 years down the road?
    What Mac Pro are you looking at? The one Apple has been selling since 2013 has incredibly easy access to the SSD and RAM. You slide the latch, remove the shell, and they're right there. You can also replace the CPU with any pin-compatible model. The GPUs are an issue, since nobody else made any which use the connector Apple used. You also can't upgrade integrated accessories like the WiFi and Bluetooth radios.

For that matter, what keynote did you watch? The visualizations of the iMac Pro clearly had sticks for removable RAM (you can see them in the photos in this very article) and they explicitly called out dual SSD slots. You're almost guaranteed to be able to swap out the processor as well, so the only parts you won't be able to upgrade later are the GPU, the display, and various accessory bits like WiFi, Bluetooth, the camera, and the speakers.
    fastasleepanomewatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 72
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Do we think the keyboard shown in the sneak preview is real? It *looked* like a wireless keyboard with a full number pad, but maybe the cable was just excluded from the photo for aesthetic reasons. If it's a space grey wireless with number pad, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
    polymniaStrangeDayssuperklotonbaconstangwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 25 of 72
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Actually, to me, it looks like the opposite.

The *biggest* complaints from the pro market all revolve around the perceived lack of customizability and expandability of the current Mac Pro.

So what does Apple do?  They make one that will undoubtedly be even more proprietary and harder to customize and/or expand.

Also, many professionals have dedicated, calibrated monitors that they use.  Why do they need an integrated 27" monitor?

This, to me, is further evidence that Apple's current "pro" products are really just high-end enthusiast products that happen to work for some professionals.

But we'll see.  It certainly looks like it will be a beautiful piece of hardware!
    A pro is not a thinkerer or a DIY; you're serously mixing up things. if I'm making $5000 a day from my equipment, I'm not spending time replacing a widget.

If its not doing the job, I'm doing major changes and that's likely replacing the machine or adding a major accesory.

99% of PROS are not the way you think they are.
    polymniafastasleepStrangeDayschiadementuschikanwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 26 of 72
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    flabber said:

The *biggest* complaints from the pro market all revolve around the perceived lack of customizability and expandability of the current Mac Pro.

So what does Apple do?  They make one that will undoubtedly be even more proprietary and harder to customize and/or expand.

Also, many professionals have dedicated, calibrated monitors that they use.  Why do they need an integrated 27" monitor?

This, to me, is further evidence that Apple's current "pro" products are really just high-end enthusiast products that happen to work for some professionals.

But we'll see.  It certainly looks like it will be a beautiful piece of hardware!

What information do you have that we don't about this not being upgradable? Lets not just assume that just because its an iMac that you can't upgrade it. 

Since when did "Pro" mean upgradable? Do professionals really upgrade their Mac? I would think most just want to take it out of the box and just use the damn thing to get work done. When it doesn't get them work done anymore they just get something new rather than screw around buying parts, and installing them. 
    fastasleepdementuschikanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 72
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    polymnia said:
    With 10GbE on board, the lack of internal storage upgradability is mitigated, for me, at least. I don't want to keep all my work on my Mac indefinitely, but being able to quickly transfer 150GB over from a NAS will make it easier to restore backed-up or server-stored work.

Hell, I could probably work straight off 10GbE 99% of the time and stay productive.

I love the Black Mac.
    I imagine you meant 150TB? 150GB serves very little in the needs of a professional. 

I agree that this is indeed very much a pro computer. As a filmmaker, this has enough horsepower to be a complete monster in many aspects of
    post production. For those complaining about lack of internal storage, you would never rely on internal storage for any post production and has good enough I/O for external options. 
    edited June 2017 chiawatto_cobracali
  • Reply 28 of 72
    flabber said:
    I'm still a little underwhelmed and surprised that Apple keeps naming things "pro" when they're not upgradeable. ...
    Don't jump to conclusions and assume RAM won't be upgradeable. Most likely it will be, like it is in the current 5K iMacs. Storage might also be easily accessible, but that is less likely. But it's surely one of the most-requested features, so there's a chance.

CPU and GPU, no. The "thermals" will be designed and calibrated specially for the hardware.

PS: They could make me happy by offering a BTO option with no RAM. So I don't have to buy the minimum and then wonder what to do with it after I remove it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 72
    dbbcdbbc Posts: 14member
    Love it! Take my money.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 72
    shapetablesshapetables Posts: 201member
    Excellent price/performance! Every Small/Medium-sized Business (not running on web-based apps) will _NEED_ at least one of these for their office because of the ECC memory (not to mention TB3 and 10GbE compatibility for fast RAID-based file/database serving and Apple's new CoreML-instrumented GPUs to, with third-party app support, privately analyze those files/databases at astonishing speeds).

Great seeing them pull out of a nosedive like this  :)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 72
    Do we think the keyboard shown in the sneak preview is real? It *looked* like a wireless keyboard with a full number pad, but maybe the cable was just excluded from the photo for aesthetic reasons. If it's a space grey wireless with number pad, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
    Say goodbye to your money. It is. Even though I didn't get any images on Apple's web site, the text is there and it specifically says it's a Magic Keyboard with a full number pad.
    lorin schultzsuperklotonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 72
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    The silver/white one is out now, it'll be wireless:

Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad - US English

lorin schultzsuperklotonwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 33 of 72
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

flabber said:
    I'm still a little underwhelmed and surprised that Apple keeps naming things "pro" when they're not upgradeable. ...
    PS: They could make me happy by offering a BTO option with no RAM. So I don't have to buy the minimum and then wonder what to do with it after I remove it.
    Uh, Ebay.
    macxpressdementuschikanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 72
    Already ordered one, arriving Wednesday (UK)! I was hoping it would have the touch bar, but as my old wireless keyboard seems to be failing, this looks like the best bet until they do integrate a touch bar.
    dementuschikanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 72
    jonshfjonshf Posts: 90member
    flabber said:
    1. Doesn't 4x Thunderbolt 3 ports make it upgradable (i.e. external GPU's and monitors)?
    2. A newly designed Mac Pro is supposedly coming next year.
    3. Upgradable can also mean sell after use and buy new. That can be a cheaper upgrade path than replacing internals.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 72
    Can some kind soul give me a guess about the real world difference between these specs and those of the top-end 27" iMac currently available for sale?  

We can now get 32GB RAM and a 1TB SSD for about $3,700.  iMac Pro has double the number of cores, 32GB RAM and a 1TB SSD for $4,999.  If I'm using Motion, Final Cut and DaVinci Resolv, how much would I notice the overall speed increase?  Would it eliminate the stuttering on 4K video I get with my current 27" iMac, a Late 2014 27" iMac with a 4GHZ i7?

I'd love to know how much the new one is with the 4TB SSD and 128GB!  Bet they will charge the earth for that model ...
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 37 of 72
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

Remember, this isn't a Mac Pro, it's an iMac, so don't complain about the display.  Yeesh.
    Wait until the new Mac Pros are announced.

Remember, this isn't a Mac Pro, it's an iMac, so don't complain about the display.  Yeesh.
    Wait until the new Mac Pros are announced.
    I hope.  My first thought was ... Oh dear this is the new Mac Pro.  But only one GPU so hopefully it's not.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

Shitcha! This may mean saying goodbye to my Logitech solar mac keyboard, which is also very flat...
    edited June 2017 watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 39 of 72
    MJAMJA Posts: 3member
    Don't complain, they told they'll come with a new Mac Pro design, hopefully modular enough. The upcoming iMac Pro is HUGE for All-in-One customers! Do you realize they for the first time put high end desktop's CPU and GPU in an iMac? Up to 18 core / 36 threads Xeon i9 and 22 Teraflops of AMD Vega? I say wow!
    fastasleepwatto_cobrapatchythepiratepscooter63
  • Reply 40 of 72
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member

Thank you! I didn't know that.

Should I wait a few months and get one in Space Grey?

Nah. I'll just buy another one when it comes out!
    watto_cobra