Apple slips wireless Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad onto online store [u]

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited August 2020
Amid new Macs and iPads shown off at WWDC 2017, Apple on Monday also quietly released the wireless Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad, available for $129.

The product is similar to the existing Magic Keyboard, with a Lightning port powering an internal rechargeable battery. The accessory should run for "about a month or more" between charges, according to Apple.

Bundled with the keyboard is a Lightning-to-USB cable, meaning that buyers will need their own wall adapter if they're not charging through their Mac.

For typing the product can connect to any Bluetooth-equipped Mac with macOS 10.12.4 or later, or any iOS device running at least iOS 10.3.

The keyboard is presumably meant to support Apple's faster iMacs, shipping today, as well as the iMac Pro coming in December. They should also be handy for the new 10.5- and 12.9-inch iPad Pros arriving next week.

Update: Apple has since removed the legacy wired version of the keyboard from its online storefront, leaving only one option for buyers in the market for a keyboard with numeric keypad.
watto_cobra

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Oh, oh, ooooh!
    pscooter63SpamSandwichbaconstangcornchipmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 44
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    I am going to wait for the dark model that will come out with the iMac Pro. :)
    StrangeDaysjSnivelywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 44
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    What I really want to see is that black keyboard and (presumably) silver Magic Trackpad shown in the iMac Pro images.  I wish those were sold separately.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 44
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Bring back the Apple wired Keyboard With Numeric Keypad. 
    dysamoriawozwozzroger73nomadmac
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Not for sale separately. So, unless you buy an iMac Pro or wait for eBay, you're out of luck. 

Also, there's new watch bands for sale too today. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 44
    pdbreskepdbreske Posts: 45member
    Added one of these to my new iMac order today. I like my current wireless keyboard, but have wanted Apple to add a numeric keypad to the Bluetooth KBs for a while.
    williamlondonbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Yes!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Best keynote I've seen in years. 
    macxpresswilliamlondonwatto_cobrapscooter63mathteacher
  • Reply 9 of 44
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Not for sale separately. So, unless you buy an iMac Pro or wait for eBay, you're out of luck.
    Do you know that for sure? I was really hoping to get a Space Grey unit too, to match my MacBook Pro.

I'll buy the silver/white one for now (I'm just tickled that I finally CAN!), but was hoping to replace it with the dark one later.

It's nice to see that Apple seems to be listening. At least two of the apps I use in my work REQUIRE a numeric keypad to work (those keys perform functions that aren't duplicated anywhere else). With the Mac located ten feet away and the keyboard sitting on the console when in use and being set aside when it's not, a wired keyboard is a real hassle. This new one is very welcome!
    edited June 2017 king editor the gratewatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 10 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I recently purchased the Matias Wireless Aluminum keyboard look-alike for around $100 from B&H Photo. It also has a rechargeable internal battery that is advertised to last about 1 year between charges. It can also pair with up to 4 devices using keys on top of the numeric keypad. It would have been nice to have had this Apple keyboard for comparison.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    After all these years...
    zroger73
  • Reply 12 of 44
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    appex said:
    You're more than welcomed to get it elsewhere...

It is still available for K-12 schools when purchasing new Macs. Same with the wired mouse. Good thing too...wireless keyboards and mice are an absolute mess in a lab situation. 
    edited June 2017 nomadmac
  • Reply 13 of 44
    macxpress said:
    appex said:

It is still available for K-12 schools when purchasing new Macs. Same with the wired mouse. Good thing too...wireless keyboards and mice are an absolute mess in a lab situation. 
    I assume you mean a computer lab.  In a "real" lab (with chemicals and beakers and body parts and such), I imagine cords are a bit of a drag.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 44
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    About time. How can "Pros" work without a keypad?

seriously, though, want one bad. Would like the Space Grey, but if they're not selling it seperately, I guess I'm screwed there. Can't really justify an iMac Pro anytime soon, much as I'd like to.
    Muntzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 44
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    macxpress said:
    appex said:

I assume you mean a computer lab.  In a "real" lab (with chemicals and beakers and body parts and such), I imagine cords are a bit of a drag.
    Well, things would be a real mess in a real lab, too!

seriously, though, what took them so long???
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    I'm with you, I hate wireless input devices, but the sweet thing about the new keyboards (and the new trackpad) is you can use a normal Lightning cable to use them as wired devices.
    watto_cobrajohn.bnomadmac
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Do you know that for sure? I was really hoping to get a Space Grey unit too, to match my MacBook Pro.
    I read about it here: https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/05/imac-pro-ram-and-space-gray-accessories/
  • Reply 18 of 44
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Still no backlit keyboard 😒
    dysamoria
  • Reply 19 of 44
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    gordy said:
    Still no backlit keyboard 😒
    with touch bar, if a long term commitment...?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 44
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Yes. Finally. 
    watto_cobra