First look: Apple's new 10.5" iPad Pro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2017
Apple introduced a completely new iPad form factor with the 10.5-inch iPad Pro on Monday, promising users a bigger, better display and top-tier internal hardware stuffed into a svelte chassis comparable to the outgoing 9.7-inch version.

As seen in the photo above, Apple has declared war on bezels with its latest iPad Pro incarnation. Most apparent are slimmed down side bezels, though the top and bottom "forehead" and "chin" portions are also slightly altered from past 9.7-inch models, leaving just enough space for a FaceTime camera and Touch ID.

The thinned down borders make space for an enhanced screen that comes in at 20 percent larger and 50 percent brighter than last year's 9.7-inch iPad Pro, good enough for a full-size soft keyboard that can take advantage of new iPad-specific commands that will arrive with iOS 11 later this year. Apple also baked in True Tone and ProMotion technology, the latter allowing for fast 120Hz refresh rates. ProMotion also assists in the Apple Pencil experience, cutting down input latency to only 20 milliseconds.

Also new for the 10.5-inch model is a 12-megapixel, optically stabilized rear-facing camera borrowed from the iPhone 7. Like its iPhone sibling, the camera system on iPad Pro juts out from the main tablet chassis, but should provide users with higher quality images that can be edited directly on the device. Further, the updated shooter will help with augmented reality applications set to roll out as part of iOS 11.

On the inside is an A10X Fusion processor, four-speaker audio system, embedded Apple SIM and a communications suite capable of 802.11ac Wi-Fi and LTE Advanced.

Apple's 10.5-inch iPad Pro is available now starting at $649 for a 64GB model with Wi-Fi. Shipments are scheduled to commence next week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but does this ipad pro now incorporate force touch?
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    Is this still a hardware Home button, or have they picked up an iPhone-style virtual button? 
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Does anyone have a guess at what percentage of iPads are sold with a cellular modem vs. just wifi?
  • Reply 4 of 40
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Still sitting on my iPad Air. Wanting to upgrade for a couple years now. But that protruding camera. Still keeps me from clicking the buy button. What's wrong with Apple for not just going with a camera that will fit.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    I think calling this a "completely new iPad form factor" is a bit of a stretch.
    retrogustocoolfactor
  • Reply 6 of 40
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    Time to upgrade my iPad Air! 

I'm leaning towards the 12.9" but I want to see the 10.5" in person before deciding. 

Has anyone seen any info on the A10X beyond the vague "30% faster"?
  • Reply 7 of 40
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    entropys said:
    I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but does this ipad pro now incorporate force touch?
    Nope.  Although iOS 11 acts like force touch, as in a long press feels shorter, if you know what I mean.  Its actually pretty good but without haptic feedback.  I have been playing about with it on my 12.9" pro with iOS 11 beta 1.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Does anyone have a guess at what percentage of iPads are sold with a cellular modem vs. just wifi?
    no idea, we currently have 4 iPads in our household and they all have cellular, mostly for the GPS functionality for mapping and sailing software.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    What is that music memos app that is in the picture?
    jony0
  • Reply 10 of 40
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    What is that music memos app that is in the picture?
    That's Apple's Music Memos app. 

https://www.apple.com/music-memos/

hansolosays
  • Reply 11 of 40
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    schlack said:
    Still sitting on my iPad Air. Wanting to upgrade for a couple years now. But that protruding camera. Still keeps me from clicking the buy button. What's wrong with Apple for not just going with a camera that will fit.
    Its physics.... Look it up.

Bigger sensor =  longer focal range = Much thicker Ipad or a bump... Simple isn't it.
    patchythepiratewatto_cobraicoco3
  • Reply 12 of 40
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Anybody figure out whether the leather sleeve will be able to fit both the iPad Pro and the Smart Keyboard together?
  • Reply 13 of 40
    I'm curious myself,  maybe higher percentages in countries where data plans are relatively cheap such as US, and some European countries. Probably very few are sold in Canada, Mexico and other countries with insanely high data prices. 
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Thinking now my be the year I can finally ditch my computer for an IPad.  With the forthcoming iOS 11, the  Ipad might finally and truly look like a computer replacement.  

I am guessing the pressure is on to boost sales, and that is why iOS 11 looks like a huge upgrade. 
    bb-15
  • Reply 15 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Don’t forget Drag and Drop + the File app coming in iOS 11 for the iPad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    foggyhill said:
    schlack said:

Bigger sensor =  longer focal range = Much thicker Ipad or a bump... Simple isn't it.
    I think he's asking why they don't go with a smaller camera, nobody's really going to be taking video with this thing. Using it on a table is gonna be hella wack
    edited June 2017 ireland
  • Reply 17 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    foggyhill said:
    schlack said:

No need to be snarky with him.
    jSnivelyretrogusto
  • Reply 18 of 40
    lkrupp said:
    Don’t forget Drag and Drop + the File app coming in iOS 11 for the iPad.
    Yah, very true. Also does it have USB 3 or something?  They were talking about it in the presentation. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 40
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    I'm curious myself,  maybe higher percentages in countries where data plans are relatively cheap such as US, and some European countries. Probably very few are sold in Canada, Mexico and other countries with insanely high data prices. 
    I know someone who lives in Oaxaca (Mexico), and he was just telling me last week that he pays $10/month for his iPhone plan with unlimited data. It's hard to imagine they charge much more for a data plan without voice. 

I think the US is among the more expensive countries--certainly plans I've had in Italy, France and India were much cheaper than what I have here. But I think at this point it mostly comes down to who can activate a personal hotspot on their phone, because that is a much more practical solution for most people. 
  • Reply 20 of 40
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    I watched the presentation last night while I'm traveling in Indonesia.  Ordered the new iPad with keyboard and pencil.  Expected delivery date is June 20th.

i also was curious if the new case will fit the IPad with the  keyboard - it has a pencil holder which is nice.

With what I saw in the Keynote address I expect to be using this as my travel computer once iOS11 is released.
    bb-15macky the mackywatto_cobrapscooter63