Apple expands AppleCare+ to cover Mac users for accidental damage

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Apple has expanded its AppleCare+ extended warranty service to cover the Mac range, with the quiet update expanding the warranty period for Mac users to three years, as well as covering two incidents of accidental damage to both the desktop Mac and MacBook product families.

Working in a similar fashion to versions for iPhone and iPad, AppleCare+ for Mac extends the service and telephone technical support periods to three years, up from one year and 90 days respectively. This includes access to Apple experts via chat or phone, and global repair coverage for the device.

While Apple has previously provided AppleCare for Mac, the change to AppleCare+ brings Mac systems in line with Apple's mobile devices, in that it covers accidental damage. The coverage is offered for up to two such incidents, with each subject to a service fee of $99 for damage to the screen or the external enclosure, plus tax, while other types of damage will cost $299 per incident.

For desktop Macs, AppleCare+ provides on-site repair, with a technician visiting the user's work site for support, while MacBook users are able to mail in their computer for servicing using a prepaid shipping box provided by Apple. There is also the option of taking the affected Mac or MacBook to an Apple Store or other Apple Authorized Service provider for repairs.

Covering both parts and labor, the global repair coverage is said to include the Mac itself, the battery, included accessories, Apple memory, AirPort, and the Apple USB SuperDrive, among other items.

The cost of AppleCare+ for Mac varies between devices, between $99 and $379, and is being offered on the MacBook, MacBook Air, 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro, Mac mini, iMac, and Mac Pro. Customers can acquire AppleCare+ at the time of buying their new Mac, though they can also buy coverage within 60 days of the purchase.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Very nice! As someone who gets Mac laptops for a K-12 school, this is huge! Its not worth buying AppleCare for Mac laptops (which we never get). Before, it just wasn't worth spending $3500+ on AppleCare for a lab of Macs. We've needed to send maybe 3, maybe 4 of our Macs back for repair in the 6yrs we've been using Macs, both of which were well under $3500 for the cost to repair them. 

I'm sure college students will also find this as a great addition. 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 2 of 13
    This is huge for people with laptops. I think my sister will for sure get this on her next MacBook Pro ... which is good because she always uses her accidental damage repairs. I only ever use the warranty for actual problems that arise ... she once tacoed her iPad with the seat of her car as she pushed it back ... I feel sorry for her Apple products. They cry out to me to save them when I see her. (Other people claim they can't hear the cries ... but they are real.)
    coolfactorlorin schultznikmanshah
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    Fuck. This would've covered my keyboard, but I'm at 100-ish days. 
  • Reply 4 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Wow!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Guess Apple felt they needed to throw us a bone for killing Magsafe.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    welshdog said:
    I don't think anyone outside of two or three forums really cared about that. 
    macxpress
  • Reply 7 of 13
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    welshdog said:

Yes, that's exactly what it is!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    dbbcdbbc Posts: 14member
    welshdog said:
    You can add your own 'MagSafe'...  
    https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable
  • Reply 9 of 13
    60-day limit to add it. Hopefully Apple will still offer regular AppleCare, as that's always been available to add for up to 1 year. 
  • Reply 10 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    60-day limit to add it. Hopefully Apple will still offer regular AppleCare, as that's always been available to add for up to 1 year. 
    The 60 days was only if you already had purchased a Mac with AppleCare...you have 60 days from the original purchase to repurchase AppleCare+.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I'd go talk to an associate at an Apple Store, particularly if you've already purchased regular AppleCare, they might still be able to update you, if you ask nicely. They might even if you hadn't bought any if you mention you were going to get regular AC within the first year.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Rayz2016 said:
    welshdog said:
    I don't think anyone outside of two or three forums really cared about that. 
    Disagree. I use a 2010 MBP and the Magsafe connector is put to use fairly often. Everyone I know who has one has a story to tell on how the connector saved their laptop from a fall.  It was a simple, elegant solution to a real problem.  Who knows, maybe a USB C connector pulls out easier when the cord snags on your Crocs.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I'd go talk to an associate at an Apple Store, particularly if you've already purchased regular AppleCare, they might still be able to update you, if you ask nicely. They might even if you hadn't bought any if you mention you were going to get regular AC within the first year.
    That's so cute that you think Store staff have any authority about Apple Care. They don't. If the limit is 60 days its hard coded into the computer systems. Just like the whole stupid shit with them having to send out no power phones etc to some repair center. Used to they could just swap them in store but I guess they had too much fraud so now everyone is punished.