Apple releases first iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 and tvOS 11 betas to developers

Posted:
in General Discussion
As scheduled, Apple on Monday released the first beta versions of its next-generation operating systems -- iOS 11, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, watchOS 4 and tvOS 11 -- to developers for testing.

Following onstage presentations of each major platform, developers can now download initial beta versions from Apple's developer website.

Apple's iOS 11 carries the largest number of changes, with upgrades to Siri, Apple Pay, Photos and a general user interface revamp. Control Center, for example, has been completely redesigned to include a wide array of app and system controls, including 3D Touch support for deeper access.

A number of first-party apps are also getting enhancements. Maps, for instance, incorporates a new Do Not Disturb feature for safe driving, while at the same time adding detailed indoor maps for major malls and airports.

The App Store is also receiving its first revamp in nine years, with a tab-based layout promoting popular apps, games, videos and curated content.

In addition, iPad is the recipient of major feature additions with iOS 11, including a new dock with drag and drop functionality, a Files app for file management, deeper Apple Pencil integration, augmented reality support and more.

As for macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Apple is incorporating a number of backend improvements like Apple File System integration, migration from H.264 to H.265, Metal 2 optimization and more. Like iOS 11, the forthcoming macOS also includes AR integrations, as well as new versions of first-party apps. The OS is also building in support for external GPUs.

On the Apple Watch front, watchOS 4 contains a number of incremental changes like a dedicated Siri watch face that uses machine learning to predict user interactions, as well as kaleidoscope and Toy Story watch faces. Activity tracking features have also been buffed, with updated workout features and interoperability with fitness machines.

Finally, tvOS 11 offers a few minor updates and improvements including new background modes, support for notifications and more.

Developers can download iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 and tvOS 11 from Apple's developer portal.
albegarc

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    boxcatcherboxcatcher Posts: 267member
    CoreNFC is also a new API allowing for reading of NFC tags.  Only available on iPhone 7 models, so it seems the NFC chip received an upgrade with the new phone.
    mkrewsongregalexander
  • Reply 2 of 12
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    CoreNFC is also a new API allowing for reading of NFC tags.  Only available on iPhone 7 models, so it seems the NFC chip received an upgrade with the new phone.
    Does that mean public transportation that uses NFC cards for payment, could accept (presumably) iPhone 7 and higher as a means of payment? Ideally having a public transportation card added in Apple Wallet?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    I've always wanted my iPad to work more like my Mac (unlike many naysayers here) and I'm glad Apple listened to its customers. Excited for the release of iOS 11
    MacProalbegarc
  • Reply 4 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I have my 2013 Mac Pro 6 core currently installing 10.13 beta on an external SSD  clone of my internal HD all my other externals are off line.  I have never seen so many restarts and progress bars!  I have three screens and they are doing some funky things.  After restarts, sometimes all three are showing bar, sometimes the center one, some times only the outside two.  It's quite exciting to watch.  Currently 36 minutes to go. 
  • Reply 5 of 12
    tyler82 said:
    I've always wanted my iPad to work more like my Mac (unlike many naysayers here) and I'm glad Apple listened to its customers. Excited for the release of iOS 11
    I may actually use my iPads more now it has a Finder, err .. sorry a Folder app. ;)
  • Reply 6 of 12
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So button shapes in accessibility no longer gives you an ugly gray button. Now it underlines the word ala the web.
  • Reply 7 of 12
     10.13 now running on my Mac Pro and happily on an old MBP!  However notice the image in the 'About this Mac', oops ... lol.

• Reply 8 of 12
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    So button shapes in accessibility no longer gives you an ugly gray button. Now it underlines the word ala the web.
    Completely eliminating the distinctive object that it's named for. An underline isn't a button shape. Hyperlinks aren't buttons.

Microsoft started the adding of web elements into OS GUIs nonsense with Windows XP and I hated it back then. 
  • Reply 9 of 12
    albegarcalbegarc Posts: 50member
    All these upgrades look great I just wonder if Watch OS 4 is going to work fine with the first Generation AW or if I should Upgrade
     to AW series 3 when is launched or maybe to series 2 if it gets a price cut.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Word of warning to anyone installing 10.13 betas, developer or soon to be released public versions ... make sure you have a clone of your Photos Library safely made before launching Photos in High Sierra.  It's a one way conversion to the Library.  Once converted in 10.13 it won't open if you boot back into 10.12.  Of course only install on a clone of your boot drive to start with but that goes without saying.  The data on the cloud isn't effected from what I can tell only your local main 'System Library'  However I am inclined to not set the 10.13 Photo Library as System Library and keep it isolated for the time being till I learn more so as not to risk anything!  
    albegarc
  • Reply 11 of 12

Update about APFS after many hours of fun:  

Nothing here against NDA I am sure.  Just all good news.  Well it is pretty seamless after all. Running the developer release as of now on both a new Mac Pro six core, its own internal and a 6TB RAID zero over Thunderbolt, all APFS, plus an old 2010 MBP i7 15" (with a 500 GB SSD installed and the optical removed.). It is not compatible with SoftRAID volumes, make sure you convert back to Apple RAID from the SoftRAID app and then uninstall SoftRAID drivers before attempting to convert any RAIDs to APFS.

Tip if you forget to select the nondestructive HFS+ > APFS option when running the installation to update an existing 10.12 boot volume, as I did on the MBP (DOH!), then once finished simply boot into the High Sierra's Recovery Partition (Command-R on reboot) from where disk Utilities can perform a post install conversion also nondestructively on the boot volume.

... and yes I have back ups of everything! Mike Bombich is hard at work making a 10.13 compatible Carbon Copy Cloner, the latest beta is Version 4.1.16-b1 (4556) and it is working as I speak on 10.13 to clone my several RAID zero data volumes. I am not sure it if can yet deal with a boot volume. That's my next test. If not an update soon will. Kudos as always to Mike for supporting the developers, he is always first out of the gate with working betas whenever Apple release new versions of macOS. Carbon Copy Cloner is indispensable.
    https://bombich.com check betas in preferences to obtain the High Sierra betas.

Little Snitch are you listening ;)

• Reply 12 of 12
    limlim Posts: 9member
    Glad to read that MacPro is happy with his recent HS installation.  For me it is a right pain; the machine freezes and reboots at about 2 minute intervals!  It is so frequent that there is not even enough time to compile and submit a report via 'Feedback Assistant'.

Regards,  lim