Apple's iPad to get bigger dock, Files app, drag-and-drop & easier multitasking in iOS 11 ...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    clegercleger Posts: 17member
    I have an iPad set up in my kitchen and would like to have multi user so my iCloud and my information isn't just out there for everyone in my home to see and access. Its far too much of a hassle to log in and log out of iCloud accounts every time. It would just make much much more sense to have a multi-user experience for a home shared iPad. Not everyone has the money to buy an individual iPad for everyone in the home, on top of keeping up with the latest iPhones, Macs, and everything else life has to offer. 
    edited June 2017 rich gregoryObjectiveTechFan
  • Reply 22 of 38
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    cleger said:
    And yet.. still no Multi-User. Like do they even listen to what the customer wants???  I have never been so unimpressed with an Apple keynote as I am right now. Literally NOTHING impressive has come for iOS today. We've got a whole year to wait to hope for more. 

I hate the apple music redesign last year and was praying it would get a MUCH NEEDED refresh, but instead they brought it to the App Store. 

Smh!

Trolls are never impressed. I never ever heard someone asking for multi user. 
    SpamSandwichtallest skil
  • Reply 23 of 38
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    This was a great keynote with lots of impressive stuff. The trolls must be pissed off.
    StrangeDaysSpamSandwichbrucemc
  • Reply 24 of 38
    cleger said:
    And yet.. still no Multi-User. Like do they even listen to what the customer wants???  I have never been so unimpressed with an Apple keynote as I am right now. Literally NOTHING impressive has come for iOS today. We've got a whole year to wait to hope for more. 

I hate the apple music redesign last year and was praying it would get a MUCH NEEDED refresh, but instead they brought it to the App Store. 

Smh!
    Speak for yourself, dude -- the keynote was awesome. iOS 11 cant come soon enough, so many cool additions. I dont care about multi-users. Might be cool but not a huge deal either way.

Given the original poster's use of the first person singular everywhere, I'm at a loss to determine what makes you think he or she was even implying that he or she was speaking for anyone else.

• Reply 25 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    It's telling that Apple is adding desktop-like file management and manipulation features to mobile. Rather than insisting people adapt to being productive with mobile limitations, it's finally recognizing that desktop software is actually pretty great for getting stuff done? Like it was originally designed for?
    You speak as if they could have just snapped their fingers and had it on Day 1. Software doesn't work that way, and the iPad is an all new device with all new software. You build on it. You figure out the right way to do things with touch. It does not walk out of a clam shell fully formed.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    cleger said:

Smh!
    Speak for yourself, dude -- the keynote was awesome. iOS 11 cant come soon enough, so many cool additions. I dont care about multi-users. Might be cool but not a huge deal either way.

Given the original poster's use of the first person singular everywhere, I'm at a loss to determine what makes you think he or she was even implying that he or she was speaking for anyone else.

Let me remind you then:

- "Like do they even listen to what the customer wants???"

- "
    We've got a whole year to wait to hope for more."

...clearly implying the public want. And, of course, equating the public's want to his own personal wants. Thus my comment: speak for yourself, because he does not represent "we" the "customer".
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 27 of 38
    clegercleger Posts: 17member
    Blunt said:
    cleger said:

Smh!

So, I've only been a member of this site since 2012 and have posted 8 things, which signifies I read and take in and not run my mouth like most people on here (including you), but I'm the troll? I am a huge fanboy, I've actually taken off work every year for WWDC for the past 5 years now because I fanboy that hard... Everyone in my circle and tons of people in the public do want multi user. I would like to also see it on the Apple TV. Why would people be making mockups with multi-user for years if that wasn't something someone wanted? Below is a link to a thread where more people than just me have felt the need for it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/multiple-users-for-ipad-pro.2033519/
  • Reply 28 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

“the customer”
    cleger said:
    Why would people be making mockups with multi-user for years if that wasn't something someone wanted?

People don’t know what they want until you show it to them.
    That tells us everything we need to know.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 29 of 38
    It's still an outlier use case that the mainstream isn't clamoring for. As a techie, you have to understand you do not represent normals. You are very likely niche use cases. That's not an insult, it just means your niche use case wants aren't going to be higher priority than general things that add value for everyone. The WWDC keynote was packed with things like this. To claim it was unimpressive and there is "literally NOTHING impressive" is just pure bullocks.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    I for one feel like Apple vindicated the iPad Pro yesterday. I bought into the 12.9" last year and it's been my only mobile device ever since. 

I'm a composer. I use Notion iOS to score for orchestra and I need the largest screen possible. The 12.9" roughly equals the size of a letter sized piece of paper. The 12.9" feels like I'm carrying around a clipboard which is perfect. Now with the A10x the iPad Pro will have that extra bit of power the A9x was lacking (the A9x could handle the playback of a full orchestra but just barely). 

Pair that with the macOS Finder and Dock like features and iOS 11 in general and we certainly have a laptop replacement. You guys are always debating over what pro users want. Well I'm a pro user and I use the iPad Pro as my only mobile device and I love it. 

I would like to see an even larger size but I'm ok with it if Apple stops at 12.9". I've thought about multi-user too. But it's not a deal killer for me as I consider it a true mobile device that won't be shared. 

Best WWDC since Tim Cook became CEO. That iMac Pro 18-core is the first iMac I've ever wanted. I can imagine an 18-core iMac Pro as my host Mac, with the upcoming Mac Pro with its own 5k screen as the slave computer. 

Very excited. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 31 of 38
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    It's telling that Apple is adding desktop-like file management and manipulation features to mobile. Rather than insisting people adapt to being productive with mobile limitations, it's finally recognizing that desktop software is actually pretty great for getting stuff done? Like it was originally designed for?
    You speak as if they could have just snapped their fingers and had it on Day 1. Software doesn't work that way, and the iPad is an all new device with all new software. You build on it. You figure out the right way to do things with touch. It does not walk out of a clam shell fully formed.
    The iPad was born as a very different animal to what it is today. The original design goals don't fit very well with what many users need today.

Some people just don't seem to be willing or able to accept that. You only have to go back a few weeks to see people claiming that file management wasn't needed or wasn't possible etc and aiming darts at people for even suggesting such functionality.

Apple would seem to disagree with those people and I dare say that this is just the beginning.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    cleger said:
    Blunt said:
    cleger said:

Smh!

So, I've only been a member of this site since 2012 and have posted 8 things, which signifies I read and take in and not run my mouth like most people on here (including you), but I'm the troll? I am a huge fanboy, I've actually taken off work every year for WWDC for the past 5 years now because I fanboy that hard... Everyone in my circle and tons of people in the public do want multi user. I would like to also see it on the Apple TV. Why would people be making mockups with multi-user for years if that wasn't something someone wanted? Below is a link to a thread where more people than just me have felt the need for it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/multiple-users-for-ipad-pro.2033519/
    Multi user would be very nice, thank you. Technically I suppose it wouldn't​ be difficult to implement. I suppose the iPad's historic low and sole onboard storage has been a realistic impediment, though. Many iPads haven't had enough space for one user's files let alone various.

Not that that is the users' fault in any way of course. It would be very easy to overcome that kind of issue but the solution has to come from Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    avon b7 said:
    The iPad was born as a very different animal to what it is today. The original design goals don't fit very well with what many users need today.

Some people just don't seem to be willing or able to accept that. You only have to go back a few weeks to see people claiming that file management wasn't needed or wasn't possible etc and aiming darts at people for even suggesting such functionality.

Apple would seem to disagree with those people and I dare say that this is just the beginning.
    I wanted a file management system since the beginning. It was so strange to handle files in an iPad the first time I bought one. Over time I got used to it. But now we have again a more computer-like management of the device contents. How it will be implemented remains to be seen, but the idea alone leaves me somewhat perplexed. I guess I will like it.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I for one feel like Apple vindicated the iPad Pro yesterday. I bought into the 12.9" last year and it's been my only mobile device ever since. 

I'm a composer. I use Notion iOS to score for orchestra and I need the largest screen possible. The 12.9" roughly equals the size of a letter sized piece of paper. The 12.9" feels like I'm carrying around a clipboard which is perfect. Now with the A10x the iPad Pro will have that extra bit of power the A9x was lacking (the A9x could handle the playback of a full orchestra but just barely). 

Pair that with the macOS Finder and Dock like features and iOS 11 in general and we certainly have a laptop replacement. You guys are always debating over what pro users want. Well I'm a pro user and I use the iPad Pro as my only mobile device and I love it. 

I would like to see an even larger size but I'm ok with it if Apple stops at 12.9". I've thought about multi-user too. But it's not a deal killer for me as I consider it a true mobile device that won't be shared. 

Best WWDC since Tim Cook became CEO. That iMac Pro 18-core is the first iMac I've ever wanted. I can imagine an 18-core iMac Pro as my host Mac, with the upcoming Mac Pro with its own 5k screen as the slave computer. 

Very excited. 
    Any criticisms of Notion?
  • Reply 35 of 38
    cleger said:
    I have an iPad set up in my kitchen and would like to have multi user so my iCloud and my information isn't just out there for everyone in my home to see and access. Its far too much of a hassle to log in and log out of iCloud accounts every time. It would just make much much more sense to have a multi-user experience for a home shared iPad. Not everyone has the money to buy an individual iPad for everyone in the home, on top of keeping up with the latest iPhones, Macs, and everything else life has to offer. 
    Mine also is occasionally used by other family members. And I know other people with tablets that often share them. Multi user would be very welcome for many people.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Love the improvements to iPad Pro. Still shocked that the 12.9" isn't more popular. I could never go back to a smaller screen after that.
    From my part, I would go to something bigger than a mini only if special needs develop in my computing life. I need an iPad mostly during travel and generally outside. The mini fits the bill like nothing else. It is a pity that Apple lost interest in it and is pushing customers only to the bigger models.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    iPads are often shared by family members. At a minimum it would be nice to have a second "user" option for the kids. 
  • Reply 38 of 38
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    iPads are often shared by family members. At a minimum it would be nice to have a second "user" option for the kids. 
    Just use Restrictions, that's what it's there for.