Apple's MacBook refresh buys time for bigger changes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Is there a reason the MacBook is still $1299? You'd think they could get the price down on that and finally kill the Air once and for all. I hate when products hang around just to meet a price point.
    Apple products: insanely great profitable.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    k2kw said:
    Is there a reason the MacBook is still $1299? You'd think they could get the price down on that and finally kill the Air once and for all. I hate when products hang around just to meet a price point.
    Here´s my 2 cents. Now with ipad pro geting files app and better multitasking I bet you that the air will be a lot trickier to sell. I think the ipad pro will finaly get its glance in the spotlight....

Oh man have I waited for this...
    edited June 2017 macxpresscali
  • Reply 23 of 40
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 324member
    k2kw said:
    Here´s my 2 cents. Now with ipad pro geting files app and better multitasking I bet you that the air will be a lot trickier to sell. I think the ipad pro will finaly get its glance in the spotlight....

Oh man have I waited for this...
    The better Surface...
  • Reply 24 of 40
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Except that you don't know that, unless you were in the meetings about it at Apple, which you weren't. 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 25 of 40
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    k2kw said:
    It's a complete misunderstanding of product to believe the two are mutually exclusive. Don't quit day job. 
    cali
  • Reply 26 of 40
    k2kw said:
    It's a complete misunderstanding of product to believe the two are mutually exclusive. Don't quit day job. 
    Yet, still some products will have a larger margin. I see Apple steering people on value versus cost all the time. They dont want to sell macbook airs. They want to build on the next big thing and sell that while getting new ideas to make it even better... I believe the margin on macbooks air vs ipad pro is probably about three times bigger for the air... OK not wanting to sell them is a bit over the top. Let me put it this way: If someone really wants one they dont know what the value is with the other products... their call...

If you keep the same margin some people will stay in the old way aslong as they can. Just because its cheaper. Value is something you cant grasp without some actual experience... But its called stearing decision. I see now that apple si ready to put on the next phase of testing. Will Ipad pro be the next PC? I mean really! Could it really make the progression to make the Air unneceseary? Time will tell and users are the test rabbit (its ipad pro vs macbook air entry level mac os.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Pretty big news that wasn't covered very closely, is the h.265 love. In my mind, this just cemented 4K as the future of all media across TVs and computers. Up until just a short time ago, people were still talking about 4K TVs like 3D TVs. Basically saying that it's not useful enough, it's just the manufacturers pushing another dead end tech. Long live 4K! It's coming to your TV, it's coming to your computer, your phone, and soon, your VR/AR headset. The h.265 announcement was gigantic, it unifies the industry and lets them know that phones and computers are ready
    bigpics
  • Reply 28 of 40
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Except that you don't know that, unless you were in the meetings about it at Apple, which you weren't. 
    It's all about "truthiness", always has been.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    JMorrisJMorris Posts: 1member
    Wondering if anyone notices these: 12" Macbook received a 16GB RAM option and 2nd Gen Butterfly Keyboard upgrade.
    cali
  • Reply 30 of 40
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Rayz2016 said:

eightzero said:
    These e-ink keyboard thingies: they are still mechanical keys that move, right? Not like an iPad/iPhone keyboard?
    I suspect (no evidence) that Apple is aiming for a completely flat surface that can change depending on the context and the task. I think they'll use haptic feedback to come up with a pretty good impersonation of a key being pressed. 
    In other words, the future - as in the recent past - is higher and higher KB tech with various degrees of ooo and ahhh factors in keynotes and ads - and a continually worse typing experience....  
  • Reply 31 of 40
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    k2kw said:
    Yet, still some products will have a larger margin. I see Apple steering people on value versus cost all the time. They dont want to sell macbook airs. They want to build on the next big thing and sell that while getting new ideas to make it even better... I believe the margin on macbooks air vs ipad pro is probably about three times bigger for the air... OK not wanting to sell them is a bit over the top. Let me put it this way: If someone really wants one they dont know what the value is with the other products... their call...

If you keep the same margin some people will stay in the old way aslong as they can. Just because its cheaper. Value is something you cant grasp without some actual experience... But its called stearing decision. I see now that apple si ready to put on the next phase of testing. Will Ipad pro be the next PC? I mean really! Could it really make the progression to make the Air unneceseary? Time will tell and users are the test rabbit (its ipad pro vs macbook air entry level mac os.
    With the higher end MacBook Air at $1199 and the low-end 13" MBP at $1299, they probably could have killed that MBA and just kept the $999 configuration, but since the only difference is the storage, it was also easy to keep it and preserve that price point.   But I do suspect the Air is on the way out - they probably just had too many parts left to let it go right now.

I do think that Apple is absurdly overcharging for SSDs.   $1200 for the upgrade from 512GB to 2TB?   Ridiculous.  Crucial sells a SATA 2.5" 2TB for $550 at retail and 1TB for $290.  WD sells their "Blue" 2.5" 1TB drive for $280.    If Apple would just give themselves a 'reasonable' profit on SSDs, they could bring the price of the machines down to a point that would make them far more competitive.   At the very least, they should make them user replaceable in the next generation of machines.   
  • Reply 32 of 40
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    JMorris said:
    Wondering if anyone notices these: 12" Macbook received a 16GB RAM option and 2nd Gen Butterfly Keyboard upgrade.
    Good catch! No, I don't think anyone else noticed that. Welcome to the forum buy the way. Its nice to see someone join with useful information rather than join just to troll with a negative post and then never post again. 
  • Reply 33 of 40
    k2kw said:
    It's a complete misunderstanding of product to believe the two are mutually exclusive.
    Exactly correct.  
    Soli
  • Reply 34 of 40
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

DuhSesame said:
    Mac laptops are the only thing I felt disappointed in yesterday's WWDC.  Hopefully next year we will get something like hex-core Xeon with ECC capabilities.

Although Coffee Lake still won't support LPDDR4 and that sucks...
    I think the title is misleading, I wouldn't say Apple buys time but instead Apple upgraded a little late for the time. This update should have been done months before through its website. Apple should have unveiled only the iMac Pro yesterday. 

Were lucky they announced any hardware at WWDC. They spoiled us. This WWDC was a behemoth!
    Soli
  • Reply 35 of 40
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cali said:

DuhSesame said:
    Mac laptops are the only thing I felt disappointed in yesterday's WWDC.  Hopefully next year we will get something like hex-core Xeon with ECC capabilities.

Although Coffee Lake still won't support LPDDR4 and that sucks...
    I think the title is misleading, I wouldn't say Apple buys time but instead Apple upgraded a little late for the time. This update should have been done months before through its website. Apple should have unveiled only the iMac Pro yesterday. 

Were lucky they announced any hardware at WWDC. They spoiled us. This WWDC was a behemoth!
    It was an amazing Apple event in general.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    jkichline said:
    viclauyyc said:
    Still 16G RAM.

Maybe I just wait a little longer.
    As been discussed ad naseum, this is due to a limitation in the Intel chipset, not Apple... unless they wanted to go back on the new form factor and thermal threshold (doubtful)
    https://ark.intel.com/products/97462/Intel-Core-i7-7920HQ-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_10-GHz
  • Reply 37 of 40
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    viclauyyc said:
    Soli said:
    viclauyyc said:
    The i7 chip for 3.1 gHz call i7-7920HQ, which supports 64GB Ram.

Still this MBP only supports 16G RAM.

You're claiming that the i7-7920HQ supports up to 64 GiB LPDDR4 RAM?

Do you have proof of this?
    https://ark.intel.com/products/97462/Intel-Core-i7-7920HQ-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_10-GHz

How could you miss the part that say “Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)”? They could’ve had an asterisk and a footnote with small print at th bottom of the page, but they made it very clear that maximum RAM was dependent on type.

edited June 2017
  • Reply 38 of 40
    nickdonnellynickdonnelly Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    "Kaby Lake operates on the same core as sixth-gen Skylake processors, but is built on a 14 nanometer process and is able to achieve higher clock rates." Incorrect implication. Skylake is also 14 nanometer. Hence this is the end of the tick tock cycle and is a relatively pathetic CPU update.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    skiball7skiball7 Posts: 21member
    jkichline said:
    viclauyyc said:
    Still 16G RAM.

As been discussed ad naseum, this is due to a limitation in the Intel chipset, not Apple... unless they wanted to go back on the new form factor and thermal threshold (doubtful)
    Will the next chip set that Apple uses support 32GB or 64GB of Ram?  I am debating about pushing my 6 year old Macbook Air to last another year.  
  • Reply 40 of 40
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    "Kaby Lake operates on the same core as sixth-gen Skylake processors, but is built on a 14 nanometer process and is able to achieve higher clock rates." Incorrect implication. Skylake is also 14 nanometer. Hence this is the end of the tick tock cycle and is a relatively pathetic CPU update.
    Broadwell was also 14 nm.   This is the 3rd generation at that size and we may get another at this size:  Coffee Lake.  I would not hold my breath waiting for the 10 nm Cannon Lake chips.