First look: Apple's HomePod speaker

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    I think I might get one of these. Does anyone know if it will support streaming radio from the start? I use a really old dock and my old smacked up iPhone 5 to stream radio in the kitchen which I listen to while making dinner or breakfast. I'd love to replace that with this.

As an aside, I felt like Apple were really back in business at this year's WWDC. iOS 11 looks amazing, especially for newer iPads - I might even upgrade my iPad 3 (which is still rocking!)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 61
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I think I might get one of these. Does anyone know if it will support streaming radio from the start? I use a really old dock and my old smacked up iPhone 5 to stream radio in the kitchen which I listen to while making dinner or breakfast. I'd love to replace that with this.

As an aside, I felt like Apple were really back in business at this year's WWDC. iOS 11 looks amazing, especially for newer iPads - I might even upgrade my iPad 3 (which is still rocking!)
    I can see its appealing. One of the reason Echo is not (for me at least) is its sound quality. I have Sonos Play 1 and the sound is excellent - although it does not support voice assistant. If HomePod sound quality is as good as Sonos, I would consider a buy.

WWDC is very good this year. Apple pull out all the stops on the new iMac Pro. That one is a beast!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 61
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    tzeshan said:
    kevin kee said:
    tzeshan said:
    HomePod won't be a mass selling device.  HomePad can only play Apple Music. And Apple Music has only 27 million paid subscribers.  Apple is getting greedy and greedy.  No wonder AAPL is downgraded today. 
    Let's see:
    1. HomePod won't be a mass selling device. I kinda agree, iPhone is not a mass selling device either compare to Android. Your point is?
    2. HomePad can only play Apple Music. You are wrong on this one, get the fact straight.
    3. And Apple Music has only 27 million paid subscribers. When you said 'only' next to 27 million, you sound like a douche. Any companies would kill to have that number of paid subs. Obviously Apple won't stop at 27 million either.
    4. No wonder AAPL is downgraded today. And it will upgraded again tomorrow or day after tomorrow, that's nothing wrong for shares to be up and down.
    3. Apple Music is a failure just like iTunes is a failure. Netflix has dwarfed Apple. iBook Store is also a failure,  Look at Amazon. Apple fails on almost every content services. 
    27 million paying subscribers.  If that's a failure then please send me much more of this type of failure for my personal life. 
    watto_cobraStrangeDaysSpamSandwich
  • Reply 44 of 61
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    tzeshan said:
    kevin kee said:
    tzeshan said:
    HomePod won't be a mass selling device.  HomePad can only play Apple Music. And Apple Music has only 27 million paid subscribers.  Apple is getting greedy and greedy.  No wonder AAPL is downgraded today. 
    Let's see:
    1. HomePod won't be a mass selling device. I kinda agree, iPhone is not a mass selling device either compare to Android. Your point is?
    2. HomePad can only play Apple Music. You are wrong on this one, get the fact straight.
    3. And Apple Music has only 27 million paid subscribers. When you said 'only' next to 27 million, you sound like a douche. Any companies would kill to have that number of paid subs. Obviously Apple won't stop at 27 million either.
    4. No wonder AAPL is downgraded today. And it will upgraded again tomorrow or day after tomorrow, that's nothing wrong for shares to be up and down.
    3. Apple Music is a failure just like iTunes is a failure. Netflix has dwarfed Apple. iBook Store is also a failure,  Look at Amazon. Apple fails on almost every content services. 
    27 million paying subscribers.  If that's a failure then please send me much more of this type of failure for my personal life. 
    And tzeshan please explain to me how Services continues to make Apple more and more money every quarter.
    watto_cobraStrangeDaysSpamSandwich
  • Reply 45 of 61
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    JinTech said:
    tzeshan said:
    kevin kee said:
    tzeshan said:
    Let's see:
    And tzeshan please explain to me how Services continues to make Apple more and more money every quarter.
    The only thing make more money is App Store.  And it is not a real service of contents. Apple brags about billions of billions paid to developers.  But Apple never  reveals how many song or books or movies are sold through the services.  
  • Reply 46 of 61
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    "Hi my name is Dave. How may I help you today?"
    radarthekat
  • Reply 47 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    darkpaw said:
    I like the idea of having Siri somewhere other than my iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch, but I think they've got the price wrong here. Given that in the UK this will sell for a direct $ - £ conversion, I could get 7 Echo Dots for £349. 7 Echo Dots covers my house and garden summer house. I don't have £349 for every room. The Echo Dot does everything I need to, and it does more than one timer!

I've no doubt people will buy this, but I think it's far too overpriced for the majority. And yes, I know that Apple isn't in it for the majority (which is a bit of a weird way to run their business), but just think what they could achieve sales-wise if they sold it at a more reasonable price.
    Then don't buy a HomePod, your loss.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 61
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Let us not forget that Tomlinson Holman is still in charge of "audio direction" at Apple. This here article from April somewhat augurs today's HomePod reveal and maybe more advanced audio systems from Apple in the future. http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2017/04/apples-famed-audio-director-inventor-of-lucasfilm-thx-sound-system-invents-next-gen-audio-system.html
  • Reply 49 of 61
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    Does Sonos have something akin to an A8 powering each speaker?  Do they do all this mapping of the room and beam forming automatically to optimize the sound experience?  If not, then it seems to me that Apple just reinvented sound, for crying out loud.  Betcha it'll be copied, and then the chorus of Apple-doesn't-innovate will start back up.  
    kevin keeStrangeDays
  • Reply 50 of 61
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Now I have a reason to get that MacMini with 5.1 digital input, so I can route my TV's 5.1 to the MacMini, and then have the MacMini route the audio to 2 or 4 of these speakers using AirPlay.  It's gonna fly!  My 10 year old 5.1 system in the front room has been breaking down, I HAVE A REASON :smiley: 

I had a 3 x 5.1 system throughout the house, and I used to laugh at people on "This one podcast" saying there was no way to get simultaneous music playing thru the house, without a system like Sonos.  Well, I used iTunes and AirPlay and had ZERO problems playing sync'd music on all 15.3 speakers... it's nice.

Is 4 over kill? :dizzy: 

I'll go 2 at first for sure and try the MacMini re-route...
    edited June 2017 raz0r
  • Reply 51 of 61
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    NY1822 said:
    Will this speak all the languages of Siri, bc on the apple website is just says: Languages: English

That's probably why it is initially available only in the US, UK and Australia.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,694member
    Soli said:
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    It needs battery like most BT speakers to make it really wroth a buy. 
    HopePod isn't supposed to be a portable speaker. 
    Why?  Isn't it a speaker?  Does it have BT? Does Apple want to get rid of wires? Even in a home this thing should be easy to move around.  Without battery this convenience is missing.
    :sigh: This product is large and costly enough without adding in batteries so you can take it to the beach. If you need a portable speaker, not a home speaker, then get one or the many other products that are on the market, but don't make claims about what Apple "needs" to do.
    You are splitting hairs. A home speaker can be portable too and I would bet my grandmother that that is one of Apple's future goals. The power cord breaks the entire aesthetic of the device and Mr. I've probably hasn't slept for months due to that simple fact (and that it's not thin, ha!).

There will be reasons it has a cord right now but 'not being portable' is not one of them.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    NY1822 said:
    Will this speak all the languages of Siri, bc on the apple website is just says: Languages: English
    Remember when people on this forum complained about the Amazon Echo/Alexa, and used the number of countries supported as a reason why Alexa sucked and Siri didn't? Clearly this is an indicator that there are different commands that will be used for Siri on HomePod.

Even though Apple is clearly not trying to market this as a music device with comparatively little attention to the intelligent digital home assistant aspect (which I think is more important), it's clearly and Echo competitor. Amazon did only get into this field 2 years ago and are doing great by that measure, but now that Apple is here with a great foundation of many languages, I'm guessing their HomePod will be quickly adding new languages over the next year, which will surpass Echo and close it out a leader in this area if Amazon can't get more than English and German supported.
    edited June 2017 anantksundaram
  • Reply 54 of 61
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    tzeshan said:
    JinTech said:
    tzeshan said:
    kevin kee said:
    tzeshan said:
    Let's see:
    The only thing make more money is App Store.  And it is not a real service of contents. Apple brags about billions of billions paid to developers.  But Apple never  reveals how many song or books or movies are sold through the services.  
    Stop talking nonsense. If Apple doesn't reveal how many songs or books or movies, how the heck do you know?!

Apple developers have had a cumulative total revenue of $70B since 2008 (according to Tim Cook yesterday). Assuming Apple gets 30% (a significant overestimate), that's a cumulative total of $30B from the App Store. Do you know what Apple's services revenue was in just 2016? $24B. Do you know what it's expected to be in 2017? $28B-$30B. How do you explain the massive delta?

And, can you tell us how many Alexas (or Google whatevers) have been sold? I'll wait.
    edited June 2017 StrangeDaysSpamSandwich
  • Reply 55 of 61
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Does Sonos have something akin to an A8 powering each speaker?  Do they do all this mapping of the room and beam forming automatically to optimize the sound experience?  If not, then it seems to me that Apple just reinvented sound, for crying out loud.  Betcha it'll be copied, and then the chorus of Apple-doesn't-innovate will start back up.  
    You're presuming of course that all that room-mapping beam-forming sound-optimizing stuff makes a measurable and obvious improvement over Sonos/other sound signatures. Might want to wait to declare "Apple has re-invented sound" until we've heard them in practice don't 'cha think?  That also applies to those assuming that they won't hear much of a difference with HomePods in practice. We have a few months before we can all hear them for ourselves. 

(and yes I'm fully aware a number of journalists heard one of the HomePods and one of the Sonos Play 3's in an audio room Apple set up for comparison. HomePods will presumably have better bass than the Sonos 3)
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 56 of 61
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    It needs battery like most BT speakers to make it really wroth a buy. 
    HopePod isn't supposed to be a portable speaker. 
    Why?  Isn't it a speaker?  Does it have BT? Does Apple want to get rid of wires? Even in a home this thing should be easy to move around.  Without battery this convenience is missing.
    :sigh: This product is large and costly enough without adding in batteries so you can take it to the beach. If you need a portable speaker, not a home speaker, then get one or the many other products that are on the market, but don't make claims about what Apple "needs" to do.
    You are splitting hairs. A home speaker can be portable too and I would bet my grandmother that that is one of Apple's future goals. The power cord breaks the entire aesthetic of the device and Mr. I've probably hasn't slept for months due to that simple fact (and that it's not thin, ha!).

There will be reasons it has a cord right now but 'not being portable' is not one of them.
    You seem to be confusing a Bluetooth speaker with a smart speaker. A Bluetooth speaker has a relatively easy job to do and doesn't need to be prepared to do it 24x7. It can monitor for an incoming BT signal without expending very much energy until called upon to play music. Smart speakers primarily use wifi, not Bluetooth, which requires more energy. They have to keep microphones powered on constantly and monitor for voice commands, and have the power to process those commands when called about. I don't imagine the energy use between the BT speaker and a smart speaker are anywhere in the same ball park. Having a smart speaker that you need to carry back to it's charging cable every night pretty much defeats the purpose of a device who's entire purpose is centered around convenience.

If you want a portable BT speaker, Apple will sell you one under the Beats brand.
    StrangeDaysbrucemc
  • Reply 57 of 61
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    tzeshan said:
    kevin kee said:
    tzeshan said:
    Let's see:
    You have a very warped sense of reality.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    tzeshan said:
    JinTech said:
    tzeshan said:
    kevin kee said:
    tzeshan said:
    Let's see:
    Your trolling is of epic proportion today.

Why don't you just ignore something that you have no intention of purchasing, rather than a dozen posts about it.  Clearly mom's basement is stuffy today...
  • Reply 59 of 61
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    NY1822 said:

I'm guessing this is because they're rolling out a new version of Siri and they don't want to have to do QA for language quirks while ironing out the basics.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    dachar said:
    Looks to be a bit bigger than a Sonos Play 1 and about 1.75 times the price. I look forward to hearing  how the sound quality between the two compares. There are cheaper wireless speakers than the quality Sonos products, so the for some the difference in price could be 3 times the price. Will the added features like Siri be attractive enough to justify the extra cost? Perhaps for those who are already using various Apple products but not for those  customers with other Apple products just looking for wireless home speakers. 
    Except that "first impressions" that I am reading compare the HomePod to Sonos Play 3, which is $300, and doesn't have the assistant interaction.  So the pricing is quite comparable.  And that same person that heard the demo at WWDC yesterday firmly stated that the sound quality was noticeably better on HomePod vs. Sonos 3.

And clearly, if a person is not in the Apple ecosystem or have Apple Music, then they are not a target for the HomePod (talk about trying to state the obvious as a straw man).  Apple does have this line of audio products (Beats) if a person is interested in a simple BT speaker.