Apple-manufactured cases for 10.5-inch iPad Pro updated, new sleeve for Apple Pencil debut...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    When the first iPad Mini came out Apple only offered a front cover, not a full case. However, there were a couple of third party vendors selling inexpensive clear and frosted plastic back covers (on Amazon and other sites) that worked perfectly with Apple's front cover. I've had such a combination for as long as the iPad Mini has been around and it works perfectly and looks great. Many similar products are currently available for the larger iPad models. With my 12.9" iPad Pro I prefer the separate back cover because I alternate between a plain front smart cover and a smart keyboard cover. Works great for me and either combination on the 12.9-er also fits neatly in the padded sleeve I alternately use with my 13" MacBook Pro.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 22 of 29
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    kaitain4 said:
    pb said:
    Before Apple released back covers i bought third party cases for the iPad.
    And I still do. I would never buy an Apple case at those prices. I found one manufacturer producing very Apple-like cases, completely covering the iPad, for 1/5 of the Apple price (at the time when I bought it). Almost two years later it is still like new and very nice looking. As long as there are such options, I am not going to even look what Apple has to offer.
    Which manufacturer makes the Apple-like cases??
    I did not want to advertise them, but since you ask it is JETech. Here is an example: Apple case and JETech case. The latter provides full cover, screen and back, supports automatic sleep/wake while giving access to all buttons, micro and camera. And it costs ... 9 euros, instead of 60 euros for the Apple case, which covers only the screen. That's more than 6 times lower price for equal function and more protection. Unbelievable but true.

• Reply 23 of 29
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    I was also amazed that they are not selling the back cover so I phoned them about it.  The Apple guy couldn't understand it either citing that they were very popular - he thought they would be coming out soon though.

i bought the new 12.9 which Apple confirmed is the same dimensions as the old one.  So whilst I couldn't buy on the Apple Store I did manage to get one from John Lewis (uk).

the great thing about the separate front cover is when you don't need it you can just pull it off, but the back stays protected.  

Cant wait for my new iPad......the wait for ios 11 upgrades is going to be difficult though!
  • Reply 24 of 29
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    pigybank said:
    scotty321 said:
    Apple is so unbelievably tone-deaf to the needs of their customers. We want a Smart CASE, not a Smart COVER. The Smart Cover doesn't even protect the iPad, because it attaches with a weak MAGNET! And it doesn't protect the back of the iPad either! The Smart Cover, which Apple no longer makes, is actually a REAL GENUINE HONEST-TO-GOODNESS CASE. It protects both the front and back of the iPad, and it actually firmly snaps onto the iPad -- so your iPad is fully protected at all times. It is beyond ridiculous that Apple stopped making these, but continues to peddle the subpar Smart covers.
    As somebody who used to work Apple retail, I assure you that the vast majority of customers only wanted the smart covers.  We rarely sold the full covers, and most of those who wanted that option opted to go 3rd party for something truly heavy duty.  So in general, they are listening to their customers.  

Furthermore Apple is really not a case and cover or accessory company.  They are a hardware and software technology company.  If 3rd party solutions are available it doesn't make sense for them to invest R&D designing cases and covers which have relatively low impact on the company's bottom line. 

I understand that for us Apple loyalist and pro-users we want Apple branded everything and exactly how we want it.  It may seem like the company is tone deaf, but in reality they're right on the mark for the larger consumer base. 
    Thank you for weighing in. 

I used to be in Apple sales as well (long time ago), and it is amazing how some insular consumer groups are convinced their needs are universal - I laugh every time one of the few straggling "Apple needs a 17" MacBook Pro!!!" guys goes on a rant. 

I have used Smart Cases on my iPads since day one, and it saddens me that I don't have an Apple option for protecting the back of the upcoming iPad Pro. 

The Smart Cover comes in some seriously ugly colours, btw. 
  • Reply 25 of 29
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member

Btw, Microsoft was never a monopoly, they tried to be one but obviously couldn't. They just knew how to market their products through the right channels. They bested out Solaris, UNIX, MacOS, IRIX, NeXT, AmigaOS, BeOS and others in 5 short years.
    Case Law disagrees with you.

United States V. Microsoft (1998) [Wikipedia]
      "Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson issued his findings of fact on November 5, 1999, which stated that Microsoft's dominance of the x86-based personal computer operating systems market constituted a monopoly"
    The European Union seemed pretty convinced, too. 
  • Reply 26 of 29
    scotty321 said:
    Apple is so unbelievably tone-deaf to the needs of their customers. We want a Smart CASE, not a Smart COVER. The Smart Cover doesn't even protect the iPad, because it attaches with a weak MAGNET! And it doesn't protect the back of the iPad either! The Smart Cover, which Apple no longer makes, is actually a REAL GENUINE HONEST-TO-GOODNESS CASE. It protects both the front and back of the iPad, and it actually firmly snaps onto the iPad -- so your iPad is fully protected at all times. It is beyond ridiculous that Apple stopped making these, but continues to peddle the subpar Smart covers.
    Most likely, the smart case didn't sell well enough for Apple to continue making them.  I actually prefer the cover because it is quickly removable and then I can use the iPad "naked" without the cover flopping around.  But as was said, there are a ton of third party cases that protect the front & back.

For me, if not in a keyboard case, I prefer just having the smart cover and a "skin" to offer some light scratch protection to the back (and also helps to uniquely identify my iPad when there are lots of others around).
  • Reply 27 of 29
    I use an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil on a regular basis, and the best solution is to get an inexpensive pencil case with a zipper. Makes it easy to carry a microfiber cloth, prepackaged screen cleaners, the replacement tip for the Pencil, older stylus, charger etc., along with the Pencil. That said, I think it's good that Apple now has a solution that includes a built-in carrier. I think what they've got would give you more peace of mind that you're not going to lose the Pencil than a magnet connection.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    krawallkrawall Posts: 162member
    I am happy with the cases they provide. I never wanted to protect the back of the iPad. What for? There is nothing to protect there. It only adds bulk. I love how the sleeve looks though but settled for a keyboard case (which already arrived, just waiting for the iPad now) 

I'm currently using the 10.5 keyboard case on the 9.7 pro, it looks funny. 
  • Reply 29 of 29
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    I'm not sure where all of the "we want" comments are coming from. I'm perfectly happy with my Smart Keyboard that does not protect the back of my iPad Pro 9.7. I do want the iPad screen to be protected, but I'm not at all concerned about the back of the device. I prefer the iPad to be lighter and easier to hold.