First Listen: HomePod is Apple's AirPods, enhanced for your house

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    kevin kee said:
    k2kw said:
    Folio said:
    Another thing about HomePod prototype, in contrast to some models of Amazon Echo and Google Home, is its potential to blend in to living rooms, bedrooms, etc. without too much corporate branding. Unless you are tight with Larry or Sergei, or in a college dorm, or sitting on 10,000 shares, I can’t imagine many people wanting to repeat day and night like a parrot “Hi Google, Hey Google, Hi Google…” Especially nights when romance is in the air: Hey Google, lower the lights. Hey Google, play “Let’s Get it On.” Hey Google, stop listening, will ya?
    Amazon is working to open up the Alexa/Echo platform.   I think it has quite of few products with it built in.   They are even making the microphones available including a couple cars.   There was a lot of coverage of this during CES.    Apple really needs to make SIRI much better (I'm sure the microphones in the HomePod helps).  Apple seems to be emphasizing the Speaker half of the the HomePod.   

I'm wondering if SONOS is smart enough to integrate with either Alexa, Apple AirPlay, or Google because if they don't Apple could take a lot of either business.
    I would really like Roger Fingas to do a review of the HomeHub as he reviewed SONOS.    It would be nice to know how the HomePod compares to SONOS Play 1, Play 3, Play 5, and/or PlayBase.
    I am 100% sure there is a Siri version 2 - but it's not ready yet for prime demo at this stage. Several people already pointed out that Apple has been very busy in developing Siri 2 from several companies acquisition like VocalIQ. Apple knew they have been lagging behind in voice assistant, if they upgraded Siri, it has to be extremely good. Time will tell.

And yes six low frequency calibration microphones array will definitely help Siri.

As for competitors, they also need to up their games. I believe WWDC is like a wake up call for Google and Amazon alike. That A8 processing for spatial awareness is some serious high tech, how it can adjust and readjust its sound depending on the position and room size and how it aware of another HomePod unit and works together reminds me so much of robots.
    I actually think that Google's IO conference scared Apple a bit.   They just seemed to go overboard on saying SIRI, AI, Machine Learning about everything.
    Probably because they recognized that they are behind (publicly atleast).  

But Apple's strength will be in being able to bring Chips into the hardware mix like the A8 and the rumored AI chip.   I would like Apple to develop a SIRI that can run without a connection to the internet - Atleast so that you can control your phone via voice, besides just understanding what I say to it.

In terms of Audio It make me wonder if Apple will later release a bigger speaker HomePodPlus or HomePodPro along with a AppleTVBar that combines a soundBar and AppleTV unit.    Essentially SONOS's market if they wish is there for the taking.   But it will be several years.   It would be nice to have a SIRI built into the AppleTVBar that understands you from across the room when you tell it to put on the SPURS or football game without having a remote.

• Reply 62 of 68
    DanielEranDanielEran Posts: 290editor

This is the Trojan horse. It looks like an innocent speaker, but it will get so much functionality that it becomes the premiere home-hub.

I think Apple was very wise to position it as a speaker that also answers queries. I'm sure a lot of people can see the potential.

And the Stereo separation is?  Er? I guess you will need two to get stereo then. Kerching...
    One speaker setup might be on for the so called music that Apple Music puts out but many other genres do sound a lot better with decent stereo (or quad) separation.
    I guess that Apple have a lot more explaining to do here.

Stereo imaging can be done with 2 speakers. This has 7 tweeters pointed in different directions so yes even one unit has wide stereophonic sound. Two units creates an even wider sound space. 

Apple is doing more than just stereo here though. More to be shown off when it gets close to being released. There's quite a lot being held back in terms of details. 
  • Reply 63 of 68
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I'm really looking forward to the HomePod. At the WWDC it was said the HomePod will play Apple Music. At the moment Apple Music is paid subscription music.

What I want is to be able to play music from my iTunes library and from my iCould account. AirPlay or BT from my iDevices is a plus, but they don't hold anywhere near all of my music and it's not in the clouds.

I bought an Echo Dot and have been thoroughly dissatisfied. While it works well for some it doesn't for me. Siri currently is very limited compared to Alexa, but works far better than Alexa.

So HomePod could kill two birds for me. Unless some deal breaker shows up between now and December, I'm all in.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    trashman69trashman69 Posts: 161member
    Does anyone else have this thought?:

homepod could be used as a true wireless charger for iPhone, Apple Watch and all other Apple wearable tech.

• Reply 65 of 68
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I am so looking forward to this. I no longer fire up my stereo as its an old harmon kardon that needs 10 mins to warm up and the 5ft speakers are just that bit to concert like to be on for my daily listen so I have reverted to a logitech based system (which isn't bad but sucks in comparison).
    It would be good if the quality if the sound is excellent and looking at the demo we saw at WWDC it looks very promising. If the audio quality is great people will buy it just for that.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I'd never use Siri but looks like a good BT speaker
  • Reply 67 of 68
    mprussemprusse Posts: 3member
    I would love to use one in my car! I hope they provide a way to do this as it will save a ton on having to purchase vehicles with high-end car stereo systems. It would need a way to anchor it on the hump in the back seat for example.