PSA: Don't install iOS 11 beta on your main iPhone unless you hate yourself

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    cali said:
    The anti Apple bulls*it needs to end. I thought the headline was a quote from one of the paid anti Apple sites only to find it was from AI.

Because of this bs you have iKnockoff users literally praising android's lack of updates as an advantage and the notion "Apple releases updates that break your device durr hurr" is actually circulating with these morons. 
    Thanks for saying this!  That was my point exactly. Don’t scare people to death knowing blogs and websites will grab and run with it. 

At the very least include the phrase “whereas many have reported no problems whatsoever, that was not the case with us.”  Without that, the word of an Apple blog site will spread like a virus through the internet and those people don’t need any help finding fault with Apple. That’s all I was trying to say:  you didn’t include us - the people NOT having problems. (I’m speaking the the people who penned the article not you of course. <GRIN> )

Did you notice how many people on here are not having a problem?  None. Except us. Why?  Because people don’t write when things are going well they only write when they are not. Hopefully others like us will now come forward and take the time to say how they are not having issues as well. At least when these blogs point to your article they can read the responses of those view points too. 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 22 of 66
    xgman said:
    Looks like a bunch of folks are having a nightmare with the first beta for High Sierra too. I've noticed that Apple is recently handing public beta testers software that really could be described as "alpha" rather than beta and far less stable than the betas of past years. Bugs are expected but it does seem to be getting worse. And one might ask why not just try to improve what has taken them so long to get stable versions of what is already out there? It sometimes seems they just go back to the drawing board .. well, just because they can..
    really??  Like what?  Explain what is NOT working so I can go do it, then write how it IS working. Heresay posts of non verifiable statements is like pulling a girls pigtails on the playground then running so no one saw who did it. 

Give me the link to these “so called problems”, so I can go check it out because there’s been nothing on our end and we are working in the real world not looking for obsure things to squawk about. 

Your entire post is based on heresay. Let’s go prove them wrong together shall we? <GRIN> 
  • Reply 23 of 66
    JesusP20JesusP20 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    all I want is iOS 11 to leave spotlight alone...!! in this beta i can't access to spotlight inside an app! in the keynote I noticed the same! this is a step backwards..
  • Reply 24 of 66
    JesusP20JesusP20 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    also! yeah the beta is pretty buggy!
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 25 of 66
    payecopayeco Posts: 580member
    Just wanted to come here and say I've been running the beta for the last 24 hours and it's been perfectly stable for me. We'll see what the next few days and weeks hold.
    alphafox
  • Reply 26 of 66
    shapetablesshapetables Posts: 201member
    I consider the whole 2016 MacBook Pro to be "beta" (UltraFine bullshit) so I figured i better *rush* macOS High Sierra onto it and so far have not been disappointed. All older devices are being kept far away from High Sierra (especially after Craig's keynote pot jokes lol).

That said, you folks do realize that the upgrade to High Sierra will in-place-migrate your disk drives from HFS+ to APFS. If annnnyyythhhiing goes wrong during that process, there is a high probability the drive will be lost, though I would imagine Apple has (or has planned) a number of measures to mitigate that hazard as much as possible.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    razormaid said:
    xgman said:
    Looks like a bunch of folks are having a nightmare with the first beta for High Sierra too. I've noticed that Apple is recently handing public beta testers software that really could be described as "alpha" rather than beta and far less stable than the betas of past years. Bugs are expected but it does seem to be getting worse. And one might ask why not just try to improve what has taken them so long to get stable versions of what is already out there? It sometimes seems they just go back to the drawing board .. well, just because they can..
    really??  Like what?  Explain what is NOT working so I can go do it, then write how it IS working. Heresay posts of non verifiable statements is like pulling a girls pigtails on the playground then running so no one saw who did it. 

Give me the link to these “so called problems”, so I can go check it out because there’s been nothing on our end and we are working in the real world not looking for obsure things to squawk about. 

Your entire post is based on heresay. Let’s go prove them wrong together shall we? <GRIN> 
    For some examples for you to test out, check the developer's forums - loads of issues and things not working like they should. Reddit: loads. When I figure out exactly why the EFI partition on the 2015 got hosed, I'll be sure to mention it.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    This warning is only necessary for people who don't know what they're doing. I'm more than capable, and qualified. Thank you.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I've been running betas, and even alpha software for decades, on different computer systems. I've written software that needed plenty of testing. I'm also one of the first Photoshop beta testers, and only stopped beta testing CC a couple of years ago because I no longer wring it out the way I used to.

having said that, I agree with Hugh here. You really shouldn't run the first public beta on your iPhone, or iPad, if they're critical to you. I've been running the iOS betas since they've released them to the public. I'm not interested in having a developer account to just rush out and announce to everyone that I'm running a developer beta - that's stupid.

but I never run them on my phone. I do run them on an iPad that's one year older. The current iPad doesn't get a beta until I know there are no show stoppers on the older unit. So I'll put iOS 11 on my old iPad Air 2. Then, I'll put on my iPad Pro 12.9, but maybe not. I'll be getting the new one in a few days.

here's a reason why you may not want to rush this out. I was running the latest betas on my iPad Air 2 when I bought the iPad Pro 12.9. I had an encrycripted backup of the Air 2. Normally, I just restore to backup when I get a new model. But here, when I went to do that, it said that there was no backup for this new device. Uh oh! Well, it turns out that if you're running a beta, it may not transfer to a new machine. I don't want to go into everything I went through, including a number of talks with Apple, but trust me on this, don't do it unless you have it planned out.

so don't update to iOS 11 beta, and expect it to move to the new model. You may even find that 10.3.3 beta won't move to a new machine running the latest OFFICIAL iOS version, which is behind it. So be careful here, and don't make light of it.
    edited June 2017 pscooter63
  • Reply 30 of 66
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    The Apple discussion forums are full of screaming, ranting users demanding to be taken by the hand and lead through the process of backing out of the beta they installed. When asked about backups they simply blink and stare into the fog.
    netmage
  • Reply 31 of 66
    razormaid said:
    xgman said:

For some examples for you to test out, check the developer's forums - loads of issues and things not working like they should. Reddit: loads. When I figure out exactly why the EFI partition on the 2015 got hosed, I'll be sure to mention it.
    Ok. Well I can’t post screen shots of the developers forum NDA prevents that. But I’m game. Let’s look at the topics posted.

IOS battery life
    bluetooth in control center
    screen brightbess
    how to display 120Hz video on new iPad pro
    can not connect to App Store
    HEVC ffmpeg options
    active location banner with moves App
    icons wiggle when closing folders
    how do we know the beta release is ready
    reboot cyclyinh on Att 
    vision framework - barcode descripter
    open notifications from a locked screen

lol. I took these in order by the way. Not only are these not “doom in a box” waiting to blow up your world they aren’t even interesting. 

And here’s the kicker... no one I mean NO ONE posted “yeah me too!!!”

so so again I say your editorial (I’ve been corrected it’s not a statement it’s an editorial - sorry) is REALLY one sided based on these topics. And again I want to encourage those of you who are NOT having problems to stand up and be heard. Take 60 seconds and write a comment so others can see. 

UPDATE:  just to show all of you I’m not doing Phil Schiller under his desk and getting paid for it ... LOL  the battery life is not great but this is NOT news!!!  All battery life sucks on betas - that’s common knowledge.

Apple can’t stop after each beta update and optimize the whole damn thing. They wait till they have things they way thecwabt it to look and feel based on our feedback then they address that part. What a massive waste of time otherwise.

But saying “my battery life sucks on this beta” is so... “well, duh!”  It’s like telling people “be careful if you turn on that car and press the accelerator it WILL move!”  That’s not news either. That’s just what it does. So I’m sorry to those who install any betas?  Yep. Battery life WILL suck till about beta 4. Duh!
    LOL 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 32 of 66
    razormaid said:
    cali said:
    The anti Apple bulls*it needs to end. I thought the headline was a quote from one of the paid anti Apple sites only to find it was from AI.

Because of this bs you have iKnockoff users literally praising android's lack of updates as an advantage and the notion "Apple releases updates that break your device durr hurr" is actually circulating with these morons. 
    Thanks for saying this!  That was my point exactly. Don’t scare people to death knowing blogs and websites will grab and run with it. 

At the very least include the phrase “whereas many have reported no problems whatsoever, that was not the case with us.”  Without that, the word of an Apple blog site will spread like a virus through the internet and those people don’t need any help finding fault with Apple. That’s all I was trying to say:  you didn’t include us - the people NOT having problems. (I’m speaking the the people who penned the article not you of course. <GRIN> )

Did you notice how many people on here are not having a problem?  None. Except us. Why?  Because people don’t write when things are going well they only write when they are not. Hopefully others like us will now come forward and take the time to say how they are not having issues as well. At least when these blogs point to your article they can read the responses of those view points too. 
    That's not true. I'm surprised at how you contradicted yourself in your post. If, as you say, people don't write when things are going well, and things are going well for you and some others here, why have you written to tell us that? And why haven't people who are having problems written in?

because not everyone who has a problem writes about it, and not everyone who doesn't, doesnt.

i"ve have minor problems with every iOS beta I've used. Minor problems, mind you. But some were annoying. Some apps would crash, some would work, but not everything. Some features wouldn't work, etc. these problems become less frequent with later betas.

but your problem is that you can give people the untrue belief that they shouldn't encounter any real problem, which is a real crapshoot. Apple says the same thing they're saying here. Only put this on a device that isn't critical. I agree.
    netmage
  • Reply 33 of 66

razormaid said:
    xgman said:

Yes, just like your post is based on heresay. Why should we trust what you say? Just because you're on the other side of the argument? Sorry, not a good enough reason. You could be having problems you don't even know about - yet. I didn't find some problems over the betas until I had been running them for days, or weeks.
    netmage
  • Reply 34 of 66
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    razormaid said:
    razormaid said:
    xgman said:

Ok. Well I can’t post screen shots of the developers forum NDA prevents that. But I’m game. Let’s look at the topics posted.

IOS battery life
    bluetooth in control center
    screen brightbess
    how to display 120Hz video on new iPad pro
    can not connect to App Store
    HEVC ffmpeg options
    active location banner with moves App
    icons wiggle when closing folders
    how do we know the beta release is ready
    reboot cyclyinh on Att 
    vision framework - barcode descripter
    open notifications from a locked screen

lol. I took these in order by the way. Not only are these not “doom in a box” waiting to blow up your world they aren’t even interesting. 

And here’s the kicker... no one I mean NO ONE posted “yeah me too!!!”

so so again I say your editorial (I’ve been corrected it’s not a statement it’s an editorial - sorry) is REALLY one sided based on these topics. And again I want to encourage those of you who are NOT having problems to stand up and be heard. Take 60 seconds and write a comment so others can see. 
    Apple itself says betas should not be installed on devices intended for daily use beyond testing/development, so I'm not really sure who you're arguing with here. As far as editorials go, what I had to say is not very controversial.

And of course the editorial is one-sided. It's an opinion piece.
    alphafoxjSnivelypscooter63roundaboutnow
  • Reply 35 of 66
    AppleZulu said:
    razormaid said:
    This is BS. I have it running on my 2016 Touch Bar laptop, 2011 17” laptop, 2 2011 iMacs, 3 iPads (mini, large pro and smaller pro), 2 iPhone 7+, TV4 and 2 Watches series 2.

We have not encountered anything yet. In fact I was just talking to my business partner saying “they must have had this done & sitting around waiting for awhile because I don’t recall a “beta 1” feeling and running so “done” feeling across so many platforms. 

TV is the star here by the way. Really nice changes to the interface. Much better. Much easier. 

The only thing i can I can think of as to why someone MIGHT run into problems - if any - would be if they did a “rape & scrape” (that’s what we call reformatting a device or computer) and installing from scratch. I don’t know why someone would do that but since we DONT do that, all I can say is running it like an update resulting in a smooth running cross platform update. 
    It's not BS. The whole point of beta testing is that they know the software isn't ready for primetime. There will be bugs and crashes. Beta testers are the guinea pigs willing to wander into the landmines just to find them. Your bizarre suggestion that there's no reason to expect that anyone would run into problems is way off base. 

I hope the army doesn't actually use guinea pigs to locate landmines.  I guess it's better than dogs, but still it's cruel.
    AppleZulu
  • Reply 36 of 66

I consider the whole 2016 MacBook Pro to be "beta" (UltraFine bullshit) so I figured i better *rush* macOS High Sierra onto it and so far have not been disappointed. All older devices are being kept far away from High Sierra (especially after Craig's keynote pot jokes lol).

That said, you folks do realize that the upgrade to High Sierra will in-place-migrate your disk drives from HFS+ to APFS. If annnnyyythhhiing goes wrong during that process, there is a high probability the drive will be lost, though I would imagine Apple has (or has planned) a number of measures to mitigate that hazard as much as possible.
    That's why people are lazy, cheap idiots when they don't back-up. If they run something new, and there's a problem, they cry and whine about it. I no longer have any sympathy for these people. Stupidity is it's own punishment.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 37 of 66

This warning is only necessary for people who don't know what they're doing. I'm more than capable, and qualified. Thank you.
    Apple says - at your own risk. For some of us, it's less of a risk than for others. But, even for us, occasionally we'll have a problem that's a real pain to solve.

been there, done that!
  • Reply 38 of 66
    teknishnteknishn Posts: 38member
    Really?!?!  I'm a long time tester, and I've seen some bad builds, but these are pretty darn good.  I have iOS 11 running on my iPad Pro and my iPhone7+.  No deal breaking issues, batteries on both are fine, no system crashes.  I did have the UI on my 7+ crash while watching a youtube video.  Those are minor and infrequent... and the UI comes right back rapidly.  I'm really enjoying it on my iPad, what a massive upgrade.

I also have High Sierra running on my 5k 27" iMac and MBP w/Touchbar.  No deal breakers in either case here as well.

Of course there are bugs, but I haven't run into any deal breakers on any of my devices in since yesterday morning.  The deal breakers have become fewer and farther between in recent years.  Still, that being said, I'm a seasoned tester and developer.  I'm willing to put up with so bugs to help the cause (reporting), and I really enjoy all the new features.  I won't put the betas on my kids or wife's gear, and I don't recommend it to anyone else other than experienced like minded friends that are in my line of work.

If anyone is curious to try betas out, definitely wait and only install the 'public' betas.  They always run more stable and they aren't as bleeding edge as the developer builds.
    edited June 2017 alphafoxanthonysmith93
  • Reply 39 of 66
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    Have iOS 11 on my 12.9” iPad Pro. I’ve also ordered an 10.5” iPad Pro which I will also update. At that point I will evaluate whether I want to keep the 12.9” on 11. Seems pretty stable but Safari and Mail are trouble some. The new iPad features are a tremendous improvement. 
  • Reply 40 of 66
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I'm really surprised at the reactions of people regarding beta releases.  I think Google ruined it for everyone else since just about everything they put out into production still had a "beta" phrase attached to it, hence giving people a false notion that "beta" means nothing.

I'm a software engineer and I make a living using my Macs and iPhone.  There is no way in hell I would ever, ever consider putting beta operating systems on my production systems.  Never!  It just doesn't need any more explanation.  To those that do and then complain, you will receive ZERO sympathy from me, and if anything, just go to prove that weekend wannabe coders and fake-engineers should not quit their day jobs.

Now, if you're some of those posters who are having zero issues with the beta software, then good for you.  Go buy a lotto tickets as well since good luck has graced you.  It still doesn't negate the situation.  Just because it works for you, it does not mean it will for everyone else and the folks at AI have every reason to publish that headline because some knuckleheads will still do it and magically blame Apple for their situation.

There are so many iPhone configurations and setups that I find it almost insurmountable that Apple can get their iOS and MacOS devices working as well as they do.  Stop taking offense that Apple is not perfect in beta releases.  "Beta" means trusting the back dark-alley guy that everything is okay.

Damn, there are just too many sensitive people out there today.  
    jSnivelymacplusplusnhughespscooter63