DirecTV Now dropping Safari support for browser streaming in favor of Chrome exclusivity

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Buh-bye, DirecTV.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    This company just gets stupider and stupider. 
    lkruppmagman1979
  • Reply 23 of 54
    What a stupid decision. Good job Att/ direct tv
  • Reply 24 of 54
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Safari has issues with other websites as well and I believe it has to do with its security and refusal to all too many redirects. Chrome, just like all Google products, is wide open, allowing all sorts of tracking and bad behavior by companies wanting to use it. AT&T is simply forcing the use of a browser they have manipulate and grab as much personal information from the user as possible. I refuse to use Chrome, I refuse to use AT&T products (dropped them awhile ago), and I dislike satellite companies (also dislike Comcast but they're the lesser evil and only real game in town).
  • Reply 25 of 54
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Seriously ? On MAC, you may want to drop Chrome instead of Safari. Outright stupid decision.
    edited June 2017 magman1979
  • Reply 26 of 54
    shapetablesshapetables Posts: 201member
    I get that Google is offering to provide me with a free web-browser that cost them many millions of dollars to build --if I let them spy on me for whatever purposes (presumably to relentlessly market to me) and I politely reject their offer. If some companies like AT&T's DirecTV subsidiary want to use the contract I generously gave them to pressure me into take the deal with Google, then they can let me out of the contract or compensate me for the loss of that feature and all of the hassle related to dealing with it.
    edited June 2017 magman1979
  • Reply 27 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This is so typical of AT&T (I worked for them for 34 years). They have no concept of customer service. They probably made some shitty deal with Google, either that or their coders are lazy and incompetent.  The farther I get into retirement the less loyalty I have for the outfit. 
    magman1979pscooter63
  • Reply 28 of 54
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    AT&T is just trying simplify things and I think that any compliant browser will work fine.
    Chrome is built on Safari's engine.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    DirecTV Now was doomed from the beginning for not having local channels in most ares, no DVR and lack of Apple TV Single Sign On provider support (like regular DirecTV).  I took my free Apple TV and quit the test as soon as I could.  Now, no IE or Safari compatibly - the AT&T geniuses are famous for being late to the party with the worst possible products to offer that never seem to be updated.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    AT&T has been flogging DIRECT TV to me for months because of my iPhones [since first iPhone i 2007], well, this puts a nail into that coffin.  No thank you AT&T.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 433member
    Well I guess I won't be using it at all. Directv Now is unreliable anyway. Meh. 
  • Reply 32 of 54
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    That pretty much ensures that I will never use their service. What an incredibly backwards thing to do. I wonder if Google is paying them for this?
  • Reply 33 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    I get that Google is offering to provide me with a free web-browser that cost them many millions of dollars to build --if I let them spy on me for whatever purposes (presumably to relentlessly market to me) and I politely reject their offer. If some companies like AT&T's DirecTV subsidiary want to use the contract I generously gave them to pressure me into take the deal with Google, then they can let me out of the contract or compensate me for the loss of that feature and all of the hassle related to dealing with it.
    Oh, geez...
    So you had no idea that ATT is tracking you? Safari can't prevent it anymore than Chrome can. 
    https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/atts-plan-to-watch-your-web-browsing-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/3/
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Another reason why I will stay with DISH in August when my contract is up. I hate Direct TV
  • Reply 35 of 54
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Chrome is nowhere near as bad as people like to make it out to be here. It's a very good browser, and runs alongside Safari and Vivaldi on my computer. Safari is my default, but I do use Chrome and Vivaldi for different apps (sites). The thinking that one must always use a single browser on a computer these days is silly. Treat them like application wrappers and choose the best one for the job. I actually use Chrome for watching Netflix all the time, because of the seamless Google Cast integration.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    I do think DirecTV is making a mistake here. I suspect that it's some IT buffoon behind the scenes that "loves Google" and "hates Apple". The days of having to use a specific browser to access a website should be long behind us.

Maybe they are using a streaming protocol that only Chrome supports? WebP? WebM?
  • Reply 37 of 54
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    This is SUCH a steaming pile of horse shit it's not even funny!

Give me one, just ONE technical reason why Safari can't be used anymore, I dare you...

Just today was dealing with someone who was adamant I had to use Chrome due to "incompatibility with the site"... Fired up Safari, proved him wrong, and his response, "I know it'll crash later, don't use Safari, it's garbage"... Fired up Chrome for kicks, fans kicked in, and battery started dropping, and the irony, it crashed on the page!

Told him to f-off...
    pscooter63
  • Reply 38 of 54
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Is this because Safari is getting upgraded with tracking-blocking?
    tallest skil
  • Reply 39 of 54
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    AT&T is just trying simplify things and I think that any compliant browser will work fine.
    Chrome is built on Safari's engine.
    Goes to show just how LITTLE you know about what Chrome is, what it does, and it's true purpose is...
  • Reply 40 of 54
    joejazzjoejazz Posts: 4member
    I've been undecided about Direct TV versus DISH and this stupid decision by AT&T to drop Safari tops my personal scale in favor of DISH. And when Direct TV goes, so does my bundling prices with my AT&T wireless, so that will free me up to switch from AT&T Wireless to T-Mobile.

I'll bet AT&T reverses this slap in the face to the upscale/upmarket Apple users. It would appear to be an arrogant and major miscalculation on the part of AT&T, but certainly not the first time they've made major mistakes in the marketplace,

Apple vs. AT&T ...hmmmm. AT&T ought to be very careful who they pick a fight with .... they run the risk of Apple buying them with pocket change from Apple's huge cash treasure chest!