Apple-branded sneakers from early '90s to auction off for over $15,000

Posted:
in General Discussion
On June 11, a pair of official Apple-branded sneakers from the early 1990s will be sold at auction, with a starting bid of $15,000.

The size 9 1/2 shoes have the rainbow version of Apple's logo stitched into the tongue and the side, and were made only for the company's own staff, according to seller Heritage Auctions. Although bidding will begin at $15,000, Heritage is estimating the value of the lot at $30,000 or more.

Proxy bidding will open before the auction, and end 10 minutes prior, at 10:50 a.m. Central time (11:50 a.m. Eastern). Notably Heritage is imposing a "buyer's premium" on successful bids, starting at 25 percent for the first $250,000.

Through partnerships, Apple offered a range of branded clothing and other non-electronic accessories for fans during the '80s and '90s. These included shirts, caps, bags, umbrellas, and even a sailboard.

The company has since scaled back dramatically, mostly limiting accessories to things like cables, cases, and headphones. One exception is "Designed by Apple in California," a coffee table book with 450 photos of Macs, iPhones, iPods, and other products. It comes in two sizes, priced at $199 and $299, respectively.
HBW1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    Too small... dang ;-)
  • Reply 2 of 18
    almondrocaalmondroca Posts: 179member
    This is the same company that designed Shaq shoes back in the day or Steph Curry's shoes last year?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    Yikes! I swear I have a pair of these, new in size 11. Thought they might be worth a few hundred maybe. Been sitting in my closet since I got 'em.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Ironically, if Apple were to make a pair of Apple Edition sneakers today, they would probably be about $15,000. 
    The Sport model would 
  • Reply 5 of 18
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    $15,000?
    China: please knock these off in a size 12.5 and I'll give you $150.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    I have an Apple branded tennis gear bag, it fits two rackets and some clothing plus small stuff, very well made. I came across a 3m^2 Apple stand at a large trade show with one guy manning it. I saw him handing a bag to the guy in front of me and I was eager to get one myself. Turned out to be the last bag. The guy who got the last one gave me his as he didn't fancy carrying it all over the show floor. I have been carrying my swimming fins and bathing stuff in it ever since. Very handy.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    . . .
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 8 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    lepton said:
    Yikes! I swear I have a pair of these, new in size 11. Thought they might be worth a few hundred maybe. Been sitting in my closet since I got 'em.
    Better put 'em up for sale.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    lepton said:
    Sell them before potential buyers come to their senses!  I still have my old Apple beach towel.  I loved the Apple swag catalog when I was a kid.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I remember visiting Apple HQ back in the early 80's for some meetings and a tour.  I recall they had a fabulous gift store, all Apple branded gear.  Wish I'd bought a few more things and stashed them away now, not to mention a few more shares.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Ironically, if Apple were to make a pair of Apple Edition sneakers today, they would probably be about $15,000. 
    The Sport model would 
    Right but they also probably have a auto self-walking mode too ;)
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 12 of 18
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I hope the shoes and the clothing from the past is better than what they sell at the Company Store now: cheap quality nylon polo shirts and such.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Is there anything Apple didn't make in the 90's? No wonder they nearly went bankrupt! 
  • Reply 14 of 18
    jibjib Posts: 56member
    AppleInsider said:
    The company has since scaled back dramatically, mostly limiting accessories to things like cables, cases, and headphones. 
    Not entirely true -- The Apple Company Store in Cupertino still sells branded hats, shirts, sweatshirts, mugs, keychains and much more, but ONLY in Cupertino.

I bought mugs, a sweatshirt, hat, and keychain when I was there in 2015
  • Reply 15 of 18
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    lepton said:
    no picture....didn't happen.
    HBW1
  • Reply 16 of 18
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    MacPro said:
    I remember visiting Apple HQ back in the early 80's for some meetings and a tour.  I recall they had a fabulous gift store, all Apple branded gear.  Wish I'd bought a few more things and stashed them away now, not to mention a few more shares.
    Yes - that was quite a place.

I still have an original "Inside Macintosh doc set (2 x 3-ring binders) with "Picasso" covers". The original ones, not the later printed set. Hint: "ds" errors were not "dire straights". Of course, those were from the dev program.

And I also have the matching "Picasso" sweatshirt that did come from the store. As well as a few other memorabilia items.

Quite a place. Pity it is no more.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 17 of 18
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    HBW1 said:
    Yup. will post a picture when I am home.
    With a sign that says "As mentioned on Appleinsider" and dated.  hehe