DirecTV Now dropping Safari support for browser streaming in favor of Chrome exclusivity

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 54
    Bean counter decision
  • Reply 42 of 54
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 932member
    We are heading back to 1998 browser compatibility...
    tallest skilpscooter63
  • Reply 43 of 54
    I get that there are technical challenges out there, but in this day and age, the notion that any modern web site can't run properly on any modern browser strikes me as being lame. Just lame.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    WTF?  Are they going to require FLASH or something?  No impact on me since I don't watch TV, but it sure seems silly. 

  • Reply 45 of 54
    croprcropr Posts: 966member
    slurpy said:
    Wow, who made this monumentally stupid decision? Dropping Safari support is insane and moronic. IE I can understand, but Safari?
    Well as a web developer I can only say that Safari is no longer one of the top browsers wrt. emerging Web technologies.  Things like Beacon, Service Workers, permission Api, WebRTC, asm.js are all supported on Chrome Firefox and Opera, but not on Safari (WebRTC is luckily coming).  Even Internet Edge has on some points better support than Safari.

    So as a web developer I understand their position (but I don't agree to it)
  • Reply 46 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,406member
    slurpy said:
    Wow, who made this monumentally stupid decision? Dropping Safari support is insane and moronic. IE I can understand, but Safari?
    My guess is they have tested the new Safari in High Sierra and discovered it isn't going to allow it to work they way they want anyway.  I couold be wrong but the new Safari is silky smooth, fast and doesn't allow fancy tricks in videos such as CNN pull.


    gatorguy
  • Reply 47 of 54
    Oh well, and luckily, I don't have to worry about it. But, seems to be a lame decision in any case. I'm tied to a cable company for my internet and TV. I don 't really watch much TV, but Mrs. Dingpatch watches all day long, , , , , ,. I'm sticking with cable for the internet service. AT&T/Direct pokes at me endlessly about signing up for Direct TV to no avail.  Why would I want them? My cable service gives me fairly consistent "30 down" service, while AT&T can only guarantee "up to 18 down" (on only the very best of days).

    And, in any case, I've wiped my system of all Google products. Just, , , , too, , , , damn, , , , intrusive.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 21,225member
    dingpatch said:
    Oh well, and luckily, I don't have to worry about it. But, seems to be a lame decision in any case. I'm tied to a cable company for my internet and TV. I don 't really watch much TV, but Mrs. Dingpatch watches all day long, , , , , ,. I'm sticking with cable for the internet service. AT&T/Direct pokes at me endlessly about signing up for Direct TV to no avail.  Why would I want them? My cable service gives me fairly consistent "30 down" service, while AT&T can only guarantee "up to 18 down" (on only the very best of days).

    And, in any case, I've wiped my system of all Google products. Just, , , , too, , , , damn, , , , intrusive.
    Ditch your internet provider and cellular company too while you're at it. You probably have no idea how intrusive they are. And unlike Google they're not just interested in putting a relatively benign ad on the internet page you've viewing. In fact they're quite sneaky about what they do. You'd be much better off if they were more Google-like to be honest. At least Google tells us they're in the ad business, offer clear and easy ways to control what is shared, allow you to view what they "know" about you, opt out of specific programs, and even purge everything in your Google account if that's your pleasure. 
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/oct/25/att-secretly-sells-customer-data-law-enforcement-hemisphere
    https://www.wired.com/2017/03/big-cables-case-selling-data-doesnt-hold/
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-20140425-column.html
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2017/03/30/fcc-privacy-rules-how-isps-will-actually-sell-your-data/#5a542c0b21d1
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 49 of 54
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 1,573member
    AT&T is just trying simplify things and I think that any compliant browser will work fine.
    Chrome is built on Safari's engine.
    Chrome _was_ built on Safari's engine, but Google has since forked WebCore and gone their own way.

    Meet Blink.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 50 of 54
    bruckheimerbruckheimer Posts: 115member
    Chrome is crap compared to Firefox and Safari. What are they thinking!
  • Reply 51 of 54
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Not the worst internet TV service in existence. Has great picture quality with 60fps support on TV streamers. Good for sports and watching CNN tickers smoothly scroll by. No DVR and On-Demand is really bad however. Still way better than Sling TV.

    This decision is insane though and will play a part of my decision of where to go when my cable bundle ends. Hulu Live was pretty cool when I trialed it.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 52 of 54
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 368member
    Is DirecTV Now Flash based?
  • Reply 53 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 21,225member
    mknelson said:
    Is DirecTV Now Flash based?
    Since they're requiring Google Chrome obviously they aren't Flash-based. Chrome uses HTML5 by default.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    koop said:
    Not the worst internet TV service in existence. Has great picture quality with 60fps support on TV streamers. Good for sports and watching CNN tickers smoothly scroll by. No DVR and On-Demand is really bad however. Still way better than Sling TV.

    This decision is insane though and will play a part of my decision of where to go when my cable bundle ends. Hulu Live was pretty cool when I trialed it.
    I like Sony PlayStation Vue a lot better, one thing with Direct TV streaming is it is limited to be playable only one device at a time, where with Sony you can play on up to 5 at a time. Be interesting to see what Amazon has coming up this fall for internet streaming TV service. . 
    edited June 2017
Sign In or Register to comment.