See Apple's iOS 11 one-handed keyboard and key flick features in action

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2017
Text entry will be easier than ever with Apple's upcoming iOS 11 update, which includes a new one-handed typing option that makes it possible to reach all of the letters on the keyboard with larger iPhone models. AppleInsider shows you how it works.

For more reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    This is a very welcome feature although I've been using one handed text input on my Huaweis for a very long time. There are moments when it's a godsend.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    "This feature does not work on the 12.7" iPad Pro which has a large enough screen to show a full keyboard." 
    ...and then the video shows said keyboard only in landscape mode. What about portrait? Any flickable keys?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    This looks like a great feature. Hopefully the off-set iPhone keyboard option will be a pre-set so it doesn't have to be invoked every time. The pul down for secondary key's also looks super useful. The only think I'd like to see would be the possibility to slide the whole keyboard up an inch or so when typing.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    paxman said:
    This looks like a great feature. Hopefully the off-set iPhone keyboard option will be a pre-set so it doesn't have to be invoked every time. The pul down for secondary key's also looks super useful. The only think I'd like to see would be the possibility to slide the whole keyboard up an inch or so when typing.
    It was stated that the last keyboard setting is retained. Yes. I was also happy with the secondary characters on the iPad keyboard and the flicking appears easier than a using a separate shift key.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Very nice. 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I'm getting ever increasingly despairing of the software leads at Apple. They used to be the 'word' when it came to User Interfaces and UX. Now, yet again, they keep completely misunderstanding how to solve the simplest of problems. Problem: Original iOS keyboard makes it cumbersome to select numbers and symbols. Stupid Solution: Create a new keyboard where the user has the ability to swipe a limited set of symbols and numbers. Make the hint for the swipe-able symbol appear in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION to the direction the user needs to swipe to select it. Make the placement of where the symbols are utterly different from every keyboard on the planet so the users have to relearn placement, slowing them down and breaking mental models. When having the auto-complete feature that puts a capital letter at the start of a new sentence, make it even harder to select certain symbols without extra and confusing multiple touches. Correct solution: Implement a proper 5 row keyboard taking up a marginally small increase in available space and implement swipes for symbols on the keys (where possible) in the same exact places as they are on every other keyboard on the planet, and only then use the keys closest to the original positions to place extra symbols. Make it intuitive so that the user swipes IN THE DIRECTION of the symbol that they require. If you want the keyboard to make the first letter of a sentence capital then actually do this by auto holding down the shift key, so that touching a symbol with a shift symbol will cause the shift-symbol to be entered if it's the first character of a sentence. This doesn't break any mental models and makes the state of the keyboard obvious and simple. Really. What the hell are the iOS design leads doing?! I despair.
    edited June 2017