Apple won't have gigabit downloads on 'iPhone 8' because of Intel modems - report

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rob53 said:
    Stupid analysts who haven't the faintest idea how this will (actually won't) work clobbered AAPL today. Just because Qualcomm has the ability to produce speeds like this in perfect conditions over short distances, doesn't mean anyone will get these speeds any time soon. Until there are cell towers every half mile (or closer depending on terrain), nobody will see these speeds. I am lucky to get 1 dot at my house and I doubt Verizon is going to install (or be allowed to install) new towers or even better gear on the existing towers. Give it another 5 years and maybe the infrastructure will be there but I wouldn't even bet on it happening then. 

I don't live in an overcrowded metropolis, which also won't see these speeds even with the proper gear because there will be too many users.
    Tech stocks across the board got killed on Friday. Probably quant traders following each other making panic trades causing the stock drop.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Others may have said this already, but supposed 5G standards won't be finalized and rolled out until 2020 or so, right??? Therefore, any discussion for the next gen of phones is a waste of time and energy. 
  • Reply 43 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    mike1 said:
    Others may have said this already, but supposed 5G standards won't be finalized and rolled out until 2020 or so, right??? Therefore, any discussion for the next gen of phones is a waste of time and energy. 
    Except this article and the discussion is NOT about 5G to begin with. It's 4G Gigabit LTE which is available now.  You should have read the comments more thoroughly.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 44 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    gatorguy said:
    Except this article and the discussion is NOT about 5G to begin with. It's 4G Gigabit LTE which is available now.  You should have read the comments more thoroughly.
    So what’s the point of 5G if 4G can do 1Gb/s anyway? What’s the G signifying these days? What was the distinction between 3 and 4? and 2 and 3? I could understand if the industry was shifting to a Intel-style “tick-tock” with generations–even goes for speed increases and odd goes for power consumption reduction–but I doubt that’s what’s happening.

Why does any of this matter when no one will ever be able to get a gigabit of downstream ever, anywhere, anyway? Until the people in Washington allowing the telecoms their monopolies are killed–legitimately killed–nothing will ever change.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    gatorguy said:
    So what’s the point of 5G if 4G can do 1Gb/s anyway? What’s the G signifying these days? What was the distinction between 3 and 4? and 2 and 3? I could understand if the industry was shifting to a Intel-style “tick-tock” with generations–even goes for speed increases and odd goes for power consumption reduction–but I doubt that’s what’s happening.

Why does any of this matter when no one will ever be able to get a gigabit of downstream ever, anywhere, anyway? Until the people in Washington allowing the telecoms their monopolies are killed–legitimately killed–nothing will ever change.
    TS, I linked an explanation earlier, but I'll include it again. In a nutshell 5G will be much faster when it comes to market in a couple of years, bringing much bigger benefits and especially so for autonomous vehicles. 4G Gigabit LTE which is rolling out now is a 'tweener, not really "gigabit" speeds but still much faster than the 4G LTE we've all been using.
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/gigabit-lte-crazy-fast-wireless-speeds-explained/
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 46 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy said:
    irun262 said:
    And why did AI not report this until now?  I wondered most of the morning why AAPL stock was plummeting and had no clue.  I thought they were supposed to be ahead of everybody else (the insider their name implies). 
    This had ZERO effect on Apple's stock price today. 

Just curious, and sorry if this is old news. but do you own AAPL?
  • Reply 47 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    gatorguy said:
    4G Gigabit LTE which is rolling out now is a 'tweener, not really "gigabit" speeds but still much faster than the 4G LTE we've all been using.
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/gigabit-lte-crazy-fast-wireless-speeds-explained/
    Thanks for the link.

>even faster

But again, to what end when nothing can use it?

>latency virtually zero

How's it ever going to be less than 50ms? And ANYTHING that has to ping a satellite has a minimum of 300ms. But maybe that's me; I don't trust the concept of autonomous cars OR remote surgery. Imagine hacking a surgical robot for an assassination…
  • Reply 48 of 54
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    What countries, carriers, cities, and specific locations even offer those kind of speeds if they were using Qualcomm's best radios in the iPhone?

Bottom line: Does this actually affect anyone's bandwidth?
    Austin Tx is one of the first if not the first US cities, already offered by ATT. Apparently New Orleans also has it available thru a different carrier, perhaps T-Mo? 
    (EDIT: Nope. In New Orleans it's Sprint offering Gigabit service.) 

Indianapolis will be the next ATT city to receive Gigabit service. Atlanta, Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco (supposedly a couple of others) will join the trials in the next few months.

Verizon announced Gigabit trial service in Ann Arbor, Atlanta, Bernardsville, N.J., Brockton, Mass., Dallas, Denver, Houston, Miami, Sacramento, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. with other cities following later this year.  

Worldwide there's 15 carriers in 11 different countries already offering Gigabit LTE. For instance Telstra is currently deploying it in Sydney, Australia. There's also another 47 carriers that have Gigabit systems in various stages of prep. 
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    What countries, carriers, cities, and specific locations even offer those kind of speeds if they were using Qualcomm's best radios in the iPhone?

Bottom line: Does this actually affect anyone's bandwidth?
    Austin Tx is one of the first if not the first US cities, already offered by ATT. Apparently New Orleans also has it available thru a different carrier, perhaps T-Mo? 
    (EDIT: Nope. In New Orleans it's Sprint offering Gigabit service.) 

Indianapolis will be the next ATT city to receive Gigabit service. Atlanta, Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco (supposedly a couple of others) will join the trials in the next few months.

Verizon announced Gigabit trial service in Ann Arbor, Atlanta, Bernardsville, N.J., Brockton, Mass., Dallas, Denver, Houston, Miami, Sacramento, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. with other cities following later this year.  

Worldwide there's 15 carriers in 11 different countries already offering Gigabit LTE. For instance Telstra is currently deploying it in Sydney, Australia. There's also another 47 carriers that have Gigabit systems in various stages of prep. 

Well there is a difference between, deploying, Offering, and Operating. Deploying mostly means there is a few cell tower in testing under selected location. Offering means there are many, and Operating means it is over 50% of cell tower. It will generally takes months or years to have this fully rolled out. 

Although Depending on config, this could simply be a software update. 

Theoretically speaking 1Gbps offering does offset some peak load, resulting in higher bandwidth for every one else. Although I am not sure if there is such an real world scenario. 

I think 600Mbps will likely be the next step. 
  • Reply 49 of 54
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    wood1208 said:
    Having stronger horses pulling slow cart. You ain't going go to faster. It's fact that 1GB wireless speed capability on phone has no advantage because cell networks are not able to support more than 300MB in real world usage scenarios. 
    Provide your source with URL for this "fact".
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 50 of 54
    wood1208 said:
    Having stronger horses pulling slow cart. You ain't going go to faster. It's fact that 1GB wireless speed capability on phone has no advantage because cell networks are not able to support more than 300MB in real world usage scenarios. 
    Provide your source with URL for this "fact".
    It's NOT a fact...

...but that's because they've been both willing and creative in finding solutions.

I'll link a read on how Telstra, even in a very busy Aussie tourist district, is able to achieve "sustained downlink data rates of over 400Mbps, peaking at over 550Mbps". an independent finding based on actual usage by some industry journalists. Further this is not some theoretical test limited to a couple of devices in a lab. According to those same independent testers "This is a fully functional, fully optimized, living and breathing commercial Gigabit Class LTE network, delivering an unmatched LTE performance in multiple markets, setting the bar almost impossibly high for all other operators around the world."
    With that said,  after the reading I've done the last day or two I don't expect US networks to do quite as well but still much improved over what we've been using the past couple of years. But I'm no cellular engineer working for a major telco nor even a well-informed industry journalist so I'd defer to those that are.
    http://cellularinsights.com/telstras-gigabit-class-lte-network-the-work-of-art/

edited June 2017
  • Reply 51 of 54
    ManiQPheshtoManiQPheshto Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    With negative Apple CPU, GPU, Wireless, LTE news, who futures like Apple is a low-end idiot firm, no patent rights, nothing at all, pictures and even parts are discussed everywhere... Sounds like everyone knows iPhone 8, so we will discuss iPhone 9, maybe some Chinese worker will post a photo for us... And overall Apple does not think of these for customers; it exactly seems like somebody wants to mess up with stock market, possible August crash as usual...?
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 52 of 54
    ManiQPheshtoManiQPheshto Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    How could a billion dollar firm with billion dollar lawyers and billion dollar patents let these leaks happen.... Answer is AAPL... Also with all the possible parts and a newer technology could be seen as Galaxy S9 before iPhone 8 because of these leaks.. So this should stop Apple, seriously... You can not go anywhere whoever is leaking these should stop it... Go to your campus and produce iPhone 8, high cost high quality no leaks...
  • Reply 53 of 54
    With negative Apple CPU, GPU, Wireless, LTE news, who futures like Apple is a low-end idiot firm, no patent rights, nothing at all, pictures and even parts are discussed everywhere... it exactly seems like somebody wants to mess up with stock market, possible August crash as usual...?
    It's not just Apple. The entire tech segment has been trending down since Friday. 
  • Reply 54 of 54
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    This new iPhone will have a service life of three or four years.  Obviously you'll have tech geeks that will buy it and trade it in a year for the next shiny bauble, but ultimately someone will likely be using that model phone until 2021 or beyond given that it will be the flagship until September 2018.  It's not like this feature has no benefit now, as noted above Gigabit LTE is rolling out in selected areas right now and will be widely available during the device's useful life.  I guess Apple wants to give people "encouragement" to upgrade earlier than necessary by implementing planned obsolescence with the phones.  Sounds like the excuse Apple used for not supporting 3G networks with the original iPhone.