Leak purports to show front and back panels of Apple's 'iPhone 8' & 'iPhone 7s'

Posted:
in iPhone
Photos published on Monday allegedly depict the front and back panels of Apple's three 2017 iPhones, falling in line with rumors -- though there may be a reason to question their authenticity.

The "iPhone 8" panels, seen on Reddit, nominally support claims of an edge-to-edge display, a glass back, and a vertically-aligned, dual-lens rear camera. If accurate, the images also support rumors that the display will be interrupted near the top for the front-facing camera, microphone, and sensors.

Less is shown of panels for the "iPhone 7s" and "7s Plus," but these do reinforce notions that the phones will be largely unchanged from their predecessors on the outside. They should switch to glass backs for the sake of wireless charging, like the "iPhone 8."

Raising doubts about the leak is the rear "iPhone 8" panel, which contains extra markings not seen on recent iPhones, such as the "Conformite Europeene" (CE) safety logo. The parts were reportedly delivered to Chinese manufacturers last week.

Apple is expected to announce its new iPhones at a
September press event. LCD-based "7s" models will likely be ready immediately, but the "iPhone 8" -- which should feature a 5.8-inch OLED display with embedded Touch ID, among other upgrades -- may ship later in the year, given that mass production is only rumored to be starting in October or November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Just a quick note: I am using an iPhone 7 Plus here in Europe, and it does have the CE Logo on the back.
    vlscoutrandominternetpersonchiapscooter63sphericgregoriusm
  • Reply 2 of 31
    vlscoutvlscout Posts: 32member
    Looks good. If only they could get rid of the camera bump, then we would be back to the unsurpassed beauty of the iphone 4.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    fotoformatfotoformat Posts: 302member
    berliner said:
    Just a quick note: I am using an iPhone 7 Plus here in Europe, and it does have the CE Logo on the back.
    As does my 5S (also here in Europe) and previous 2011 4S.
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 4 of 31
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Okay these look real, about as real as anything we seen so far.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    berliner said:

Is the logo that big? MY US phone does not have the CE logo on it, which is kind of odd since Apple would not have different products for different markets> Most electronics today have all the label they need for all the markets.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    robjnrobjn Posts: 280member
    My US iPhone 6 does have a CE logo. What looks a little odd in the pic is the size of 0682 mark in particular. All the markings look a little too pronounced.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    vlscout said:
    Looks good. If only they could get rid of the camera bump, then we would be back to the unsurpassed beauty of the iphone 4.

90%+ of iPhones are in cases.  Once it's in a case, there is no bump.  If they need a 1mm protrusion to solve some engineering problem, so be it.  That's my opinion anyway.
    mike1tshapipscooter63SpamSandwichjbdragon
  • Reply 8 of 31
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    maestro64 said:
    berliner said:

Is the logo that big? MY US phone does not have the CE logo on it, which is kind of odd since Apple would not have different products for different markets> Most electronics today have all the label they need for all the markets.
    My US iPhone has the CE and other logos (except for the #), almost as large. However, the color of the print does not pop like it does in that photo, making it much less visible.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    vlscoutvlscout Posts: 32member
    vlscout said:

90%+ of iPhones are in cases.  Once it's in a case, there is no bump.  If they need a 1mm protrusion to solve some engineering problem, so be it.  That's my opinion anyway.
    The iphone 4 is / was so beautiful it's a shame to put it in a case. But with the current crop you are right.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    vlscout said:
    vlscout said:

The iphone 4 is / was so beautiful it's a shame to put it in a case. But with the current crop you are right.
    Doesn't matter what it looks like, it still goes in a case for 99% of people. Can't afford to shatter the damn thing from a simple drop.
    SpamSandwichStrangeDayswillcropoint
  • Reply 11 of 31
    mike1 said:
    maestro64 said:
    berliner said:

My US iPhone has the CE and other logos (except for the #), almost as large. However, the color of the print does not pop like it does in that photo, making it much less visible.
    I just verified my phone again, it does not have any logo, it has in very small print the FCC ID # and the Model number that is it. and I have 6S so Apple is obviously change it over time.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    maestro64 said:
    mike1 said:
    maestro64 said:
    berliner said:

I just verified my phone again, it does not have any logo, it has in very small print the FCC ID # and the Model number that is it. and I have 6S so Apple is obviously change it over time.
    That's the same as my iPhone 7 Plus. 
  • Reply 13 of 31
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    maestro64 said:
    berliner said:

robjn said:
    My US iPhone 6 does have a CE logo. What looks a little odd in the pic is the size of 0682 mark in particular. All the markings look a little too pronounced.
    My jet black 7plus does not have that logo - purchased in SoCal at an Apple Store...
    Seems odd that any phone sold here would have a logo for '"Conformite Europeene" (CE) safety logo' on it,
    but perhaps, since they do travel when in use, it seemed like a good idea for a while?  
    The inconsistency seems un-Apple-esque, though...or does it?
  • Reply 14 of 31
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    vlscout said:
    Can't say I really care for that little black tab for the camera an sensors at the top of the screen though ...
  • Reply 15 of 31
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    vlscout said:
    vlscout said:

The iPhone 4 and 5 designs have been unmatched to date IMO. it is sad the 6 design, while functional, stuck around as long as it has. 
  • Reply 16 of 31
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    mac_128 said:

Can't say I really care for that little black tab for the camera an sensors at the top of the screen though ...
    Little?

:)
  • Reply 17 of 31
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    After two years having my iPhone 6 in an Apple Dark Blue leather case ($50) I dropped into a place called CD-R King here in the mall (in Cebu Philippines) and picked up a clear jell case, for 150 pesos ($3).  My silver iPhone 6 looks like a jewel again, like the day I bought it before putting any case on it.  For those who say 95% of people put their phone in a case, yes, but there's a way to do that while retaining the gorgeous look of the phone and also overriding the camera bump.  So simple.  Just get a clear jell case. 
    randominternetpersonpscooter63vlscoutwillcropoint
  • Reply 18 of 31
    After two years having my iPhone 6 in an Apple Dark Blue leather case ($50) I dropped into a place called CD-R King here in the mall (in Cebu Philippines) and picked up a clear jell case, for 150 pesos ($3).  My silver iPhone 6 looks like a jewel again, like the day I bought it before putting any case on it.  For those who say 95% of people put their phone in a case, yes, but there's a way to do that while retaining the gorgeous look of the phone and also overriding the camera bump.  So simple.  Just get a clear jell case. 
    I'll save my pennies for a round-trip flight to the Philippines and a cab ride to CD-R King.  
  • Reply 19 of 31
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Doubt this is really the full run if it is indeed real. Seems like something from the early production tests.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    The tick-tock cycle of rumours continues. This new one does not have the ToucID scanner at the back!