Apple updates iWork apps for Mac & iOS with new shape libraries, other enhancements

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2020
Apple on Tuesday updated both the Mac and iOS editions of its iWork suite, primarily adding 500 new shapes that can be inserted into any Pages, Numbers, or Keynote document.

Some Pages updates shared across both platforms include the ability to add linked text boxes, reply to comments in threaded conversations, and alter margins, headers, footers, and paper size when collaborating on a file. There are also new auto-correct and text replacement options, and support for exporting documents as fixed-layout ePub files.

The same conversation, auto-correct, and text replacement features have been added to Numbers and Keynote. Changes specific to Numbers include print preview in collaborations, and the use of the previous market day's close for the Insert Stock Quote feature and Stock and Currency functions.

The iOS version of Keynote has a new Light Table view and support for editing presenter notes while examining slides. The Mac app already had a Light Table view, but now supports editing presenter notes.

All of the iWork apps are free downloads for everyone thanks to recent policy changes. Many newer devices should already have the software pre-installed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Well, alright then!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    I just bumped into the limitation on print preview / page setup / margins and collaboration last week. I couldn't figure out where the menu items had gone. It didn't occur to me that sharing the document would affect basic printing functionality that was available since the birth of the Mac. A web search found other befuddled people, and that this apparently was a thing from at least 2015 when they introduced some of the collaboration stuff.

Glad to see that is now fixed.

edited June 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 422member
    Well this is a turn up for the books! I had given up hope.

I am one of the hold-outs still using the 'old' Pages. There are two big reasons for that and one is the ability to link text boxes so that text flows between them...and it's just been reinstated and, at a quick look, it seems like it works. Well done Apple.

The other reason I'm a hold-out has not, sadly, been addressed. Pages 6.2 continues not to be able to cope with double-page spreads for which, IMHO, two related features are essential. The first is the need for reflected margins on alternate pages, so the binding edge of the page can have a wider margin than the edge you actually turn. The second is the need for a double page (facing page) view, so the designer can understand the two page combination that the reader will see when the 'book' is open. These are arguably only needed for documents that will end up as hard-copy but that remains quite important in many workflows.

Still, I am encouraged by the text box linking and the new shapes are useful too so it remains great news.
    dysamoriamacky the mackytenthousandthingswatto_cobrabshank
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    command_f said:

I am one of the hold-outs still using the 'old' Pages. There are two big reasons for that and one is the ability to link text boxes so that text flows between them...and it's just been reinstated and, at a quick look, it seems like it works. Well done Apple.

The other reason I'm a hold-out has not, sadly, been addressed. Pages 6.2 continues not to be able to cope with double-page spreads for which, IMHO, two related features are essential. The first is the need for reflected margins on alternate pages, so the binding edge of the page can have a wider margin than the edge you actually turn. The second is the need for a double page (facing page) view, so the designer can understand the two page combination that the reader will see when the 'book' is open. These are arguably only needed for documents that will end up as hard-copy but that remains quite important in many workflows.

Still, I am encouraged by the text box linking and the new shapes are useful too so it remains great news.
    +1

Without support for facing pages, you can't use it to write a book. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I'd like to see them all have the same font libraries. Still can't use something like Myriad Pro on iOS. 
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Rayz2016 said:
    command_f said:

+1

Without support for facing pages, you can't use it to write a book. 
    Not true. You can write a book. Hard to publish it correctly without facing pages, which is why I keep Pages 09 around (along with the mail merge capability). Also, easier to send the raw text to my publisher and let them flow it into their templates with their fonts and their expertise.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    command_f said:
    … Pages 6.2 continues not to be able to cope with double-page spreads …
    Indeed, yet one would think this is a basic feature to have a 'gutter' margin for the binding. Although less useful in Numbers or Keynote, they could still build this feature into iWork or even the macOS 'Manage Custom Sizes…" of Paper Size. I use Pages 6 most of the time but I still have to keep Pages 4 or '09 for the so-called 'Advanced' tab of Find & Replace, specifically for special characters like Tab or Line Feed etc, and occasionally the other features too. I do database work and have to cleanup text file lists before importing. That could also be ported to all iWork apps.

Speaking of which, as much as I appreciate that many features are ported to the whole suite, I have a tiny nitpick that I wish they could fix in the App Store 'Updates' notes for these apps. They should list the specific updates for the App, then a small 'iWork Updates' header, then group those common updates so we can stop and not reread them for each app. Yes, no biggie but the iWork features often outnumber the app ones anyway and they intersperse them in no particular order.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 8 of 15
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ...does anyone else miss 'Categorize by This Column' from Numbers '09...?
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 9 of 15
    djkfisherdjkfisher Posts: 131member
    There are so so many things that Apple does well, but Maps and iWork, well, these are not one of them. Just leave this stuff to others and work on the good things
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 15
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    As a heavy pages user I'm always glad so see upgrades. I'm still missing a lot to have 2 pages side by side to get more text on the screen at once and continuous line numbering.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    djkfisher said:
    There are so so many things that Apple does well, but Maps and iWork, well, these are not one of them. Just leave this stuff to others and work on the good things
    Maps is freaking AWESOME here in New Zealand. Not sure of other countries but I've found far less issues with Apple Maps in NZ than Google Maps. Hell, when Apple Maps came out it gave me the correct directions to home right off the bat. It took Google Maps a year to get it right and that's AFTER Google Maps had been available in NZ for three years. Not only that no one could even tell where Google Maps was getting its information because it kept saying a paper road joined my road to the main road despite that section having been joined for over 10 years before I had even moved into that city.

As for iWork I use it all the time and would never go back to Office or even Libre/Open Office. It does everything that most people need to do and that's great because most people don't need macros which are probably 90% in existence because Office sucks balls in the first place.

But that's just my not so humble opinion.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    djkfisher said:
    What, said a Micro$oft shareholder?! <wry grin>

iWork does great for the masses who have no need of the few (but necessary?) power user features that are in full blown office suites like MS Office (and others which are actually free). I haven't used Office for years and I miss not one single thing from that bloated, user-interface-mess of a suite, and the 20+ years I've spent in IT I think only once did I use a feature that wasn't in iWork. Office is a racket forced upon ignorant CFOs/CIOs and fiscally irresponsible IT Managers who hate free software and are rabidly pro-M$. The number of people who actually need power features, let them have that suite and pay for it for them, for the rest, get something else, at least get something that's free, what a waste of money if not.
    edited June 2017 watto_cobralowededwookie
  • Reply 13 of 15
    About damn time.

I almost didn't click through from my RSS feed reader because the summary made this look like nothing.  Who cares about the shape library?  The important part is the dribbling reluctuant return of some of ht Pages '09 features.

I'm glad to see the linked text boxes.  I just tried to use one the other day and has a bit of a FFS moment, because I couldn't believe they hadn't returned it yet.

Does anyone know what other major features we are still missing?  Rich content in table cells?  I see the other comments here about facing pages.  It shouldn't take 8 years still not to reach parity.  Pages 09 itself still hasn't quick managed all the features of AppleWorks when it replaced it, which was funny, because AppleWorks/ClarisWorks never managed to achieve all the features of MacWrite II.  I'm damn sure that there were MacWrite II features that have still not made it back.

On the other side of the fence, MS Word can still load documents from over 20 years ago.  To the cloud.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 15
    wwchriswwchris Posts: 60member
    I'd like to see them all have the same font libraries. Still can't use something like Myriad Pro on iOS. 
    I agree, the lack of Font support in iOS means it will never be a "professional machine." Having said that, you can install fonts on iOS, it is just a pain. There is an app called anyfont. AnyFont by Florian Schimanke. Using this, you can copy the fonts from your computer to iCloud (or through iTunes) and then install them from there. It works surprisingly good, it is just a real pain to load fonts one at a time, it take likes 5 steps per font. They are installed like installing a trusted developer certificate.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 15 of 15
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    The launch of Pages 5.0 was a huge step back for the application, dropping much needed features. Today, they fix that by adding back linked text boxes. The implementation is pretty good, and clearly designed to work for the web version, too. Three years later, but at least it happened.