Apple partner Wistron says 'iPhone 7s Plus' will include wireless charging, improved water...

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2017
In an apparent breach of Apple's secrecy protocols, Wistron's chief executive told reporters on Wednesday that this fall's anticipated "iPhone 7s Plus" will add wireless charging, and also improve on the water resistant design introduced with the iPhone 7 series.

Wistron CEO Robert Hwang revealed the details after his company's annual shareholder meeting, according to Nikkei, specifically citing "new features" coming this year, "like waterproof and wireless charging."

Hwang said that the changes will require new testing methods for the devices, and that the new waterproofing will alter the assembly of the so-called "iPhone 7s Plus." The company is said to be involved in the manufacturing of Apple's 5.5-inch iPhone Plus models, including the current flagship iPhone 7 Plus.

It's expected that Apple will introduce three new iPhone models this fall: a flagship "iPhone 8" with a completely new design and curved OLED screen, and successors to the iPhone 7 series, featuring the same general design and LCD displays. But the so-called "iPhone 7s" series is expected to feature wireless charging capabilities, in a boost over the iPhone 7 lineup.

The wireless charging in question is actually contact-based charging, accomplished by placing a handset onto a compatible charging pad or surface. It's rumored that all three new iPhones expected this fall will feature wireless charging.

Such capabilities are not expected to completely replace the wired charging option, however. According to well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, all three 2017 iPhones will also feature quick USB 3.0 charging via a dedicated Lightning port.

As for water resistance, it's hard to speculate much based on Hwang's statement, as the iPhone 7 lineup is already water resistant with an IP67 rating -- which means it can be submerged in a meter (just under 3.3 feet) of water for 30 minutes.

Rumors have suggested the "iPhone 8" will feature tougher IP68 water and dust resistance, which would allow a device to stay submerged at 1.5 meters, or just over 4.9 feet, for 30 minutes. Such capabilities would not be truly "waterproof," however, and no rumors to date have identified the "iPhone 7s" series as candidates for IP68-rated resistance.
C3Chair

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    But can it charge under water? It's a fail if it can't. :moves_goalposts:
    king editor the gratepscooter63GeorgeBMacC3Chair
  • Reply 2 of 51
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    I find it surprising the CEO of an Apple partner would be willing to publicly disclose things which he would surely be sworn to keep secret. 
    macseeker
  • Reply 3 of 51
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I find it surprising the CEO of an Apple partner would be willing to publicly disclose things which he would surely be sworn to keep secret. 
    Yep I'm skeptical about this.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Soon to be former Apple partner. Not really, but I expect there will be some consequences. Presumably this covered by Apple's contract with Wistron.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 5 of 51
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    This kind of charging option has been shipping for some time (mobee magic mouse 2011) and ask why it has not been incorporated sooner and broadly, including the Magic Mouse 2...? www.macworld.com/article/1157930/computers-accessories/mobeemagiccharger.html www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MLA02/magic-mouse-2?fnode=4c
  • Reply 6 of 51
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I am fine with this. It's not clear to me where/how the proclivity for excessive secrecy helps Apple much anymore, since rumors fly and mis- or dis-information abounds. In fact, competitors seem to have become pretty good at either swiping or pre-empting many of the ideas. I'll bet there is a lot of high-paid corporate intelligence at work against a company like Apple.

Also, it's about time that the downward pressure on AAPL stock got lifted a bit -- every other large tech company in the FAAMNG group that swooned a couple of days ago is back up much more robustly than Apple is.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 7 of 51
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    I'm hoping my 2017 iPhone will have these features:

1. More shatter-resistant screen (I cracked mine and had it replaced thru AppleCare+)
    2. Stainless steel antenna band with Space Black diamond-like-carbon coating
    3. Ceramic back for shatter resistance
    4. Wireless charging

In other words, I'd like my next iPhone to be built like a larger version of my Apple Watch Series 2.
    It already has tougher screen glass, a totally scratch-proof DLC coating, a ceramic back, and wireless charging.
    GeorgeBMacargonaut
  • Reply 8 of 51
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    What's the attraction of wireless charging? Can someone point out the pros? You still need to touch it on something, just not plug it in. Still needs to be in the proximity of the charger. If anything, it's more limiting, because you don't have the cable which you can use to move the phone around while charging.
    lostkiwinetroxGeorgeBMaccolinngargonaut
  • Reply 9 of 51
    AI_lias said:
    What's the attraction of wireless charging? Can someone point out the pros? You still need to touch it on something, just not plug it in. Still needs to be in the proximity of the charger. If anything, it's more limiting, because you don't have the cable which you can use to move the phone around while charging.
    You're asking what benefit there is for not having to fiddle with inserting a small connector v being able to rest a device with no attention given to accuracy or having to use a second hand for the cable end of lining up the connector?
    radarthekat
  • Reply 10 of 51
    AI_lias said:
    According to the article, it is rumored to also have wired charging. So what's your issue wireless as added feature? I don't get it. 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 11 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    He clearly doesn't remember Steve's reaction to ATi back in the day.  :o
    xzu
  • Reply 12 of 51
    AI_lias said:

Magnets are cool.  We charge our watches by putting them on a magnet.  We charge our MacBooks by snapping on a magnetic connector.  So of course we want iPhones and iPads to charge with magnets.  It's destiny.  They just need to stop calling it "wireless."
    gadgetcanadav2
  • Reply 13 of 51
    I am fine with this. It's not clear to me where/how the proclivity for excessive secrecy helps Apple much anymore, since rumors fly and mis- or dis-information abounds. In fact, competitors seem to have become pretty good at either swiping or pre-empting many of the ideas. I'll bet there is a lot of high-paid corporate intelligence at work against a company like Apple.

Also, it's about time that the downward pressure on AAPL stock got lifted a bit -- every other large tech company in the FAAMNG group that swooned a couple of days ago is back up much more robustly than Apple is.
    Apple's stock is as good as buried in a coffin.  The biggest loser will be the slowest recoverer.  You're not going to find very many investors happy about buying stock in a company that's been serially downgraded.  Just remember, of all the tech companies, Apple was the only company given the kiss of death, twice in a week.  I'm also fairly certain there aren't any investors happy with Apple's interest in renewable energy.  Apple keeps putting efforts into things almost no investors care about.  It's not in big investors' nature to favor efforts that might be good for everyone.  You will never hear Apple being praised for trying to save the ecology.  As you can tell, POTUS doesn't give a damn about the ecology nor will any of the big money-makers that are like him.
    mobird
  • Reply 14 of 51
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    We assume there will be a 7s and an 8 this fall, but some of these features seem like a lot to add for an "s" version.  Could we just be getting an 8 (or a 7s)?
  • Reply 15 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Jobs would have this guy's nuts and his company contract burned for this disclosure.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 16 of 51

I'm also fairly certain there aren't any investors happy with Apple's interest in renewable energy.  .
    You say you're "fairly certain," so I'll ask: any evidence for this?
  • Reply 17 of 51
    r00fus1r00fus1 Posts: 65member
    Simple profit taking by the biggest funds.
    Soli said:
    But can it charge under water? It's a fail if it can't. :moves_goalposts:
    Hah, just charging? I need to be able to make calls underwater - what use is a waterproof phone if I can't call with it *rings* Me: "blurb bluhb blurb"
    GeorgeBMaccolinng
  • Reply 18 of 51

I'm also fairly certain there aren't any investors happy with Apple's interest in renewable energy.  .
    You say you're "fairly certain," so I'll ask: any evidence for this?
    I'm an investor and I'm ecstatic with Apple's interest in renewable energy so he's clearly incorrect in his certainly that "there aren't any investors happy with Apple's interest in renewable energy."
    GeorgeBMaccolinng
  • Reply 19 of 51
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    AI_lias said:

Magnets are cool.  We charge our watches by putting them on a magnet.  We charge our MacBooks by snapping on a magnetic connector.  So of course we want iPhones and iPads to charge with magnets.  It's destiny.  They just need to stop calling it "wireless."
    I guess I'm taking the approach of simplicity: if there is no real benefit, why bother. To me there is not, because if it is based on contact with a surface, might as well the cable in, and maybe it will even charge faster. My issues is not as much the added feature, go ahead, make it available. Just don't see the advantages of it.
    randominternetpersonpscooter63netroxGeorgeBMaccolinng
  • Reply 20 of 51
    cpdprcpdpr Posts: 1member
    I can see him being chased around his house tonight by Steve Job's screaming poltergeist
    randominternetperson