Survey finds 1/3 of people interested in Apple's HomePod, still more likely to buy Amazon ...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Someone please remind me... is iOS 11 being released at the end of this month?
  • Reply 22 of 81
    dachar said:
    Can someone remind me, why has Apple announced a product 6 months before its estimated launch date? 
    So I don't go out and buy something else in the meantime, then whine because I would have waited for the pod if I'd known!
    pscooter63
  • Reply 23 of 81
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Iphone is priced as a premium device.  People are willing to pay for it.  The simple reason is iPhone offers so many features.  For the number of features the price is actually cheap. 
    Tim and his execs are stupid. They don't know this point. Apple Watch and AirPod offer much much less features.  And Apple priced them as a premium device because they are made by Apple?  Come on! Apple fans are not that stupid.  The people that will buy Apple Watch and AirPod are those that are already super rich. The price is not the concern when they buy products. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 81
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    jdgaz said:
    I don't care what the survey says. The first one I own will go in the master bathroom. And yes, audio quality matters as does privacy. Next time you survey folks make sure they know that Google and Amazon are listing to them.
    Oh jeez.... Another one.  Education can really be a good thing. Do more reading. 

There's nothing onerous about it. Amazon's Echo listens for a keyword before performing an action on the voice request that follows. So does Siri. So does Google Assistant. Homepod will not work any differently.  Apple will be "listening" too.... for a keyword to begin an action. You're safe. 

By the way, somewhat pertinent:
    Apple's head of Siri Natural Language Understanding has decided to move on to Facebook to take a similar position. 
    https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6280202653150646272/
    edited June 2017 williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 81
    I see the gleeful negative brigade is out in force, and the resident Googler is out running around shitting false information again, ffs.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 26 of 81
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Well just thinking this through as a large AAPL investor, this means 66% would rather or might buy the Apple device which probably has dramatically higher profit margin (just a guess based on every Apple product out her versus the so called competition).  So this seems awesome compared with smart phone sales versus profit data where Apple takes >90% of the profit with <%20 sales?  

Color me enthusiastic about another late entry Apple product that will cream the profits.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

Betting we'll see pro and mini versions eventually to address different segments of the market. 
    Bring on the Pro! I'll buy a couple.
    Funny thing for me is, after 20 years of them being in storage  I dug out my Nightingale NM1 speakers and Quad power and pre amp a few weeks ago (reflex cabinets; KEF B139, Peerless mid-rage and Isophon tweeters with amazing crossover hardware)  as we moved to a larger house and finally had room again for them.  It is amazing to hear them after all these years.  I'd actually forgotten what Hi-Fi sounded like.   They are massive and weigh ton each and take up a lot of space.  Now I think I really must hear these new Apple thingies.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 28 of 81
    MacPro said:
    Well just thinking this through as a large AAPL investor, this means 66% would rather or might buy the Apple device which probably has dramatically higher profit margin (just a guess based on every Apple product out her versus the so called competition).  So this seems awesome compared with smart phone sales versus profit data where Apple takes >90% of the profit with <%20 sales?  

Color me enthusiastic about another late entry Apple product that will cream the profits.
    You hit it right on the head, Apple doesn't need the huge numbers of sales to make tons of money on this product, and it's not aimed at masses anyway.

Selling fewer items at a higher price is what Apple is all about, and when the product does actually sell in the higher volumes (think iPhone, iPod, iPad, etc), then Apple does "extra primo good."

If I were a shareholder I'd be excited. It won't become their top revenue product, but who cares if it adds good numbers to their overall profit just as I'm sure the Watch is doing right now (and the mini, and the ATV and the post-life years of the iPod, and and and).
  • Reply 29 of 81
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
     the resident Googler is out running around shitting false information again, ffs.
    Rather than vaguely making it sound like you might know something be more direct and point out what that person posted that's false. We should all strive to post accurate info and encourage correction of it when it isn't, right? 

(EDIT: Crickets....)
  • Reply 30 of 81
    stevenozstevenoz Posts: 314member
    Amazon's Echo, and others, listens to most everything said, and it is transcribed... where? In what country? How long are the transcriptions stored? Able to be read by whom? Actually... where and by whom... not just the corporate assurances.

I prefer to go with Apple's Siri, because I believe the company has always tried to protect our privacy as much as possible.

But if you're paranoid, don't have any always-on listening devices in your house, my advice.

williamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 81
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    dachar said:
    Can someone remind me, why has Apple announced a product 6 months before its estimated launch date? 
    Watch, original Iphone (not 6 month but almost)..

They do this so the integration to the ecosystem exists prior to launch.

The original Ipad was essentially using a straight up IOS so it did not need it.
  • Reply 32 of 81
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    jmey267 said:
    "40% among people that already own apple products", That is huge! adds yet another revenue stream to their lineup. 
    You say it's huge.  Wall Street will say it's tiny.  Just remember, everything Apple sells is measured against iPhone units and revenue.  HomePod will fall under "Other Products" and there will be no breakdown of sales.  We won't know if they're selling like hotcakes or not.  Wall Street will immediately assume the product is a failure because Apple won't release any HomePod sales figures.  Amazon doesn't release any sales figures for the Echo but EVERYONE says that's the hottest-selling product on the planet.  That figures.  AppleWatch is considered a failure, so surely the HomePod will also be considered a failure as they fall in the same category and price range.
    Sog35, is that you?

Honestly your dummy accounts are getting fucking tiresome. Or is this a Sog wannabe with never-ending Wall Street rants in every damn thread? So damn exhausting. 
  • Reply 33 of 81
    78Bandit said:
    This is apples and oranges (no pun intended) -- they aren't equivalent devices.

Amazon will come out with a HomePod competitor at a similar price point within a year or so, probably in partnership with Bose or Harmon Kardon or somebody like that.

Harman Kardon is already partnering with Microsoft on the Invoke.  It has three tweeters, three woofers, and seven microphones.  I expect audio quality to be on par with the HomePod.  I've seen a rumored price of $200, but even $250 wouldn't surprise me.

I don't think Amazon will release any higher quality versions of its products.  They are satisfied with "good enough".  What you may see is something from a company like JBL or Logitech based on their existing Bluetooth speakers that hook into Alexa for untethered listening.

The HomePod will be much better:
    1) The thin design of the HK will not allow for those woofers to be very significant.
    2) Microphone performance will likely be better with HomePod: The HK microphone array should be able to receive directional audio input, but it's hard to see how it will be able to keep up with the HomePod's sound cancellation. The HomePod's 6 microphones seem to be arrayed directly in line with their respective tweeters (with one exception), and all will be equidistant from the central woofer.
    3) The HomePod design seems more optimized for multi-channel audio signals (as I read in a Patently Apple report a while back) and more sophisticated directionality, which should lead to better sound clarity and overall performance.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 81
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    So, people will buy cheaper product even though they'd actually buy the more expensive one if they had the money to do so... Well, aint that surprising (sic).

Isn't that the whole reason why people buy Android phones?

Apple is aspirational, sadly not everyone gets one; but they wish they could...
    edited June 2017 radarthekatwilliamlondon
  • Reply 35 of 81
    I have waited this long for a smart speaker, I can wait a few more months.  I will be buying the homepod.  Also, up until the present moment, Siri has done everything I have ever asked it to do.  Thank you.  
    radarthekat
  • Reply 36 of 81
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    dachar said:
    To keep the curious from buying an echo or Google Home.   I have an echo and was think about getting a dot or another echo for my bedroom.
    For now I'll wait to see how SIRI works on the HomePod.    If they have made improvements with SIRI and it works with my lights and Nest then 
    I'll get atleast one home pod.

Edit: Who am I kidding.   I'll get atleast one HomePod to Try it out.    If SIRI on it works then I'll eventually get 4 (2 in LivingROom, 1 Bathroom, 1 Bedroom).
    This will be a big hit for Apple because more people know the Apple Brand than SONOS.   Most people haven't even heard of SONOS.

• Reply 37 of 81
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    78Bandit said:

Amazon will come out with a HomePod competitor at a similar price point within a year or so, probably in partnership with Bose or Harmon Kardon or somebody like that.

Harman Kardon is already partnering with Microsoft on the Invoke.  It has three tweeters, three woofers, and seven microphones.  I expect audio quality to be on par with the HomePod.  I've seen a rumored price of $200, but even $250 wouldn't surprise me.

I don't think Amazon will release any higher quality versions of its products.  They are satisfied with "good enough".  What you may see is something from a company like JBL or Logitech based on their existing Bluetooth speakers that hook into Alexa for untethered listening.

1) The thin design of the HK will not allow for those woofers to be very significant.
    2) Microphone performance will likely be better with HomePod: The HK microphone array should be able to receive directional audio input, but it's hard to see how it will be able to keep up with the HomePod's sound cancellation. The HomePod's 6 microphones seem to be arrayed directly in line with their respective tweeters (with one exception), and all will be equidistant from the central woofer.
    3) The HomePod design seems more optimized for multi-channel audio signals (as I read in a Patently Apple report a while back) and more sophisticated directionality, which should lead to better sound clarity and overall performance.
    With the A8 chip Apple opens up a lot of possibilities in it that the HK won't have.    And next year Samsung will tell HK to use Bixby.

If apple wants they can easily take SONOS's market.   HomePodPro and HomePodBar for TV.    Does anyone know if homePod will support Hi-Res Audio?
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 38 of 81
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    foggyhill said:
    So, people will buy cheaper product even though they'd actually buy the more expensive one if they had the money to do so... Well, aint that surprising (sic).

Isn't that the whole reason why people buy Android phones?

Apple is aspirational, sadly not everyone gets one; but they wish they could...
    Not true, Apple may be aspirational to you, and not everyone wants one or wish they could get one. 

Just because you and I and others like and want an Apple device, doesn't mean everyone thinks the same as well. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 81
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    k2kw said:
    78Bandit said:

With the A8 chip Apple opens up a lot of possibilities in it that the HK won't have.    And next year Samsung will tell HK to use Bixby.

If apple wants they can easily take SONOS's market.   HomePodPro and HomePodBar for TV.    Does anyone know if homePod will support Hi-Res Audio?
    1) I don't expect to see any sound bars from Apple.

2) This seems like the top tier product so I wouldn't expect others with the Pro branding over smaller units for other rooms in the home.

3) I don't think they've never made their Pot moniker as one word so I wouldn't expect it here with the extended camel casing.
  • Reply 40 of 81
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    MacPro said:

Betting we'll see pro and mini versions eventually to address different segments of the market. 
    Bring on the Pro! I'll buy a couple.
    Funny thing for me is, after 20 years of them being in storage  I dug out my Nightingale NM1 speakers and Quad power and pre amp a few weeks ago (reflex cabinets; KEF B139, Peerless mid-rage and Isophon tweeters with amazing crossover hardware)  as we moved to a larger house and finally had room again for them.  It is amazing to hear them after all these years.  I'd actually forgotten what Hi-Fi sounded like.   They are massive and weigh ton each and take up a lot of space.  Now I think I really must hear these new Apple thingies.
    Surround ruined everything. Where the hell am I supposed to put FIVE B&W 801s? (As if I could afford ONE, much less five!)

Just do yourself a favour and don't listen to it immediately after coming home from the symphony. It will destroy your enjoyment of recorded music for weeks, maybe months.
    williamlondon