Twitter launches redesigned iOS app with new look, use of Safari's in-app viewer

Posted:
in iPhone
Twitter on Tuesday began rolling out a new edition of its app for Apple's iPhone and iPad, giving it a new look and interface, as well as making some functional improvements including more convenient use of Safari for viewing links.

The updated app offers "bolder headlines and rounded designs," according to Twitter, plus a new side navigation menu with access to a user's profile, accounts, and settings. Tweets make use of new icons and will automatically refresh their like, reply, and retweet counts.

For all users, the new app opens websites in Safari's in-app viewer. This includes access to Reader mode, and should also make it easier to access Twitter accounts a person has signed into.

Accessibility options have meanwhile been moved into a more visible space, and expanded to include things like higher color contrast and opening links in Reader View.

Lastly, profile photos can be customized with filters and stickers, mirroring options at rivals like Facebook and Snapchat. The Twitter app is a free download and runs on any device with iOS 9 or later.

Twitter has been struggling to grow its userbase and turn a profit, faced with intense competition from other social networks. The company has gained some attention thanks to its most famous user -- U.S. President Donald Trump -- and is branching into live video.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I never liked Twitter at all until I bought Tweetbot. It's well worth the money in my opinion.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    One more vote for Tweetbot. Worth the money for the mute filters alone.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    rexbinary said:
    I never liked Twitter at all until I bought Tweetbot. It's well worth the money in my opinion.
    Agreed. If Twitter killed off third party apps, that would be the end of Twitter for me.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Still have one of the first Twitter accounts. Still trying to figure out why I should use it. Guess I'm just not a follower. 
  • Reply 5 of 6
    thewbthewb Posts: 79member
    ajl said:
    I have updated the app in my iPhone 5s with iOS 10.3.2, and it looks identically as it used to be!

?
    Same here. Updated on June 16 and nothing at all changed. EDIT: Close the Twitter app (swipe up from the app switcher) and then restart Twitter. The new look showed up for me after I did that.
    edited June 2017