Amazon devours Whole Foods grocery chain for $13.7B, expanding AmazonFresh delivery avenue...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Folio said:

Huge news. Potential ramifications for all AMZN rivals, including Apple. Biggest point not mentioned so far:

If Amazon offers Whole Foods customers discounts only if they become Amazon Prime members [as AMZN does to customers at its brick bookstores], then Jim Bezos taps into much of Apple’s demographic base, giving them access to free Prime media, etc. Becomes a turf battle with Apple Services.

PS Surprised that Whole Foods founder (ex Congressional staffer) John Mackey sold to Amazon, as Whole Foods unusual in NOT tracking its consumers through loyalty cards. 

Much remains to be seen. Wouldn't want to prejudge. To my pleasant surprise, Bezos ownership is partly responsible I believe for improved tenacity of the Washington Post.

Excellent point-of-view and interesting strategy.
  • Reply 22 of 90
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The difference between Whole Foods and Walmart and others is healthy (non-GMO) food or at least limited GMO and marked properly like that garbage Monsanto. Now Whole Foods may get more GMO garbage that many (like myself) avoid. I hope not.
    Gullible are we?    GMO foods are no more harmful than any other food you might eat.    Beyond that humanity has been breeding its food stocks for hundreds of years now to favor specific qualities.    
    SpamSandwichbrucemcmazda 3sgatorguyradarthekatfastasleeptzm41[Deleted User]
  • Reply 23 of 90
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    Dear Whole Foods:  please continue accepting Apple Pay.  Don't let Amazon cancel that support.

bshank
  • Reply 24 of 90
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Dear Whole Foods:  please continue accepting Apple Pay.  Don't let Amazon cancel that support.

John Mackey will still be making the calls, so I wouldn't worry about that.
  • Reply 25 of 90
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Wow. Congrats to John Mackey and the Whole Foods folks. Should result in same day delivery for more Whole Foods items, greater supply chain and logistics efficiencies that will help press down prices.
    This is good news for those of us who use AmazonFresh delivery. It's available here and I've used it quite a few times. 
  • Reply 26 of 90
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    The difference between Whole Foods and Walmart and others is healthy (non-GMO) food or at least limited GMO and marked properly like that garbage Monsanto. Now Whole Foods may get more GMO garbage that many (like myself) avoid. I hope not.
    The problem is that in 50 years of GMO, there wasn't a single serious study showing that GMO food is dangerous.
    There were some "papers" that were not peer-reviewed and had terribly set up experiments, where, for example, they would managed to screw up a control group and then later claim that GMOs were bad anyway, but the reason they couldn't see any difference between the control group and the test group was because they screwed up the control group. Yeah, it was THAT badly done.

"Whole Foods may get more GMO garbage that many (like myself) avoid"
    Keep doing that, 'cause someone has to support their higher profit margins... Claiming that something is organic is easy - because no one from the regulators checks them anyway (http://www.naturalnews.com/032776_organic_labeling_personal_care_products.html). The same with GMO/non-GMO.

fastasleep
  • Reply 27 of 90
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    ... -- and other retailers and grocers are seeing massive stock drops because of it.
    Hey Satya.
    Better snap up Trader Joe's before Google does.
    Should be way cheaper than LinkedIn.  Even with a 50% premium.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 28 of 90
    wizard69 said:
    Gullible are we?    GMO foods are no more harmful than any other food you might eat.    Beyond that humanity has been breeding its food stocks for hundreds of years now to favor specific qualities.    
    Much, much longer than that. Our modifying of organisms at the genetic level begins many millennia with the earliest attempts at agriculture and animal husbandry. We had no notion of genes, but we knew what results we wanted and figured out that using the organisms that suited our needs best in an environment would result in better outcomes. We've been changing the landscape of this planet ever since.

A particular interesting read is the near impossibility of domesticating bovine. Without it, where would we stand today?
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 29 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Just a shout here for Trader Joe's :)
    robin huberSpamSandwich
  • Reply 30 of 90
    MacPro said:
    Just a shout here for Trader Joe's :)
    I figured you for a Publix man.
  • Reply 31 of 90
    RonnnieORonnnieO Posts: 39member
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Sobey's, the second largest grocery chain in Canada is based in the east and a few years ago bought all the Safeway stores in Western Canada for 5.8 billion for easy expansion into the west. They screwed up the acquisition so badly, sales have plummeted and they are threatening store closures starting with 20 in B.C. And Sobey's has been a success in the grocery business for years. Good luck Amazon.

• Reply 32 of 90
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    jd_in_sb said:
    Getting drive up windows for existing Whole Foods stored isn't going to happen.
    I think this is less about store pickup, and more about reefer trucks
    I'm all for more reefer trucks.
    dsdfastasleep
  • Reply 33 of 90
    It's your choice to avoid GMO food if you don't like the idea, but there's no convincing evidence that it's unhealthy.
    SpamSandwichradarthekatfastasleeptzm41
  • Reply 34 of 90
    LOL, this is just one of Bezos' moves to prop up the stock price with yet another "maybe Amazon can finally make some money outside of web servers" expansion. Whole Foods has been in a long decline vs. competitors and it doesn't look like  Amazon's grocery initiative was really panning out, so it's hard to think that this is really going to work out that well in the long run. 
  • Reply 35 of 90
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 513member
    Do you buy things from Amazon on your iOS device? This is a big deal, and will have wide repercussions for one of Apple's biggest obstacles in services and digital media sales. No offense intended. Yeah, I do buy things from Amazon from my iOS devices. I'm not seeing how this particular development might impact what services and digital media I buy from Apple. I can see how the WashPo purchase and Amazon's music & TV services do. But yeah, following Amazon is relevant here. I get it now.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 36 of 90
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 513member
    Mike Wuerthele said: Do you buy things from Amazon on your iOS device? This is a big deal, and will have wide repercussions for one of Apple's biggest obstacles in services and digital media sales.
    I do buy things from Amazon from my iOS devices. I'm not seeing how this particular development might impact what services and digital media I buy from Apple. I can see how the WashPo purchase and Amazon's music & TV services do. But yeah, following Amazon is relevant here. I get it now.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 37 of 90
    wizard69 said:
    There is a world of difference between selective breeding and introducing foreign genes into a plant/animal.
    Yes to the first but no way to the second.

• Reply 38 of 90
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Amazon actually has weaknesses.  It does not make good profits.  In some quarters it actually loses money. So its business model has inherent problem.  In fact many things on Amazon is actually more expensive than Walmart. 
  • Reply 39 of 90
    wizard69 said:
    There is a world of difference between selective breeding and introducing foreign genes into a plant/animal.
    Yes to the first but no way to the second.
    There's a difference in how it's done, but it's literally not a world of difference because they all have an impact on the ecosystem aka this world. Breed something too much for a specialized task, or not understand how breeding for certain skills can lead to certain genetic issues, and you can end up with something unfavorable. Breed something too hearty and you can end up with something that devotes an ecosystem. You also get this when you introduce new species that may have occurred naturally in a different

If not for agriculture and animal husbandry our species would not be where it is today. When Malthus proposed his theory the world was just hitting an estimated 1 billion. By his measure, today's population wouldn't be sustainable—much less growing—but he couldn't possibly know about how we were going to improve efficiencies. That's all GMOs are—efficiencies. It's like moving from the vacuum tube to the microprocessor. It's good that we "weed out" chemicals we know are bad or undesirable. Right now, we have Cannabis being breed through both cultivation and genetics to remove THC (the psychotropic) and have an abundance of CBD. One day, maybe we can synthesis it without needing to grow a plant at all… something we've been doing for a long time with great success.
    radarthekattzm41
  • Reply 40 of 90
    It appears the iPhone X will be packed with new tech and yet there are analysts saying Apple won't be able to grow any market share percentage at all. I honestly don't know how these analysts arrive at such conclusions when the product hasn't even been announced. How can the supercycle's unit sales numbers be already factored into the share price. These crystal ball predictions really astound me.
    rob53 said:
    I thought Walmart was bad for retailers, now Amazon is going to mess with grocery stores. We'll see what happens when Amazon undercuts (sells at a loss) other grocery stores to gain sales by harvesting their personal information and selling that (SOP for them). People complain about Apple but look at what Amazon is doing. I can't see it stopping with Whole Foods, who typically over prices everything.
    Amazon's intention is to put as many retailers out of business as possible. The greedy big investors love that strategy and they'll continue to lovingly support Jeff Bezos. That's why Amazon's share price will continue to steadily rise. As for Apple, they don't want to spend any major money to boost revenue and the share price will continue to stagnate. Timid companies are unable to grow and Wall Street knows this. Apple will continue to sit on tens of billions of dollars and get left in the dust by the likes of Amazon and Alphabet. It's a darn shame for shareholders how Apple is such a non-aggressive company.