AppleInsider talks 10.5" iPad Pro experience, iOS 11, ARKit, and the wish for a good smart...

Posted:
in General Discussion
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Neil and Victor talk iPad Pro 10.5", which iPad offers the best value, iOS 11, augmented reality, and much more.

AppleInsider editors Neil Hughes and Victor Marks discuss:
  • iPad Pro 10.5" hands-on, and Neil's love for the 12.9" form factor
  • iPad at $330, and where it fits with iOS 11
  • HomePod and what's the value to Apple
  • Neil wants at TV made by Apple
  • ARKit
  • iMac Pro and the external GPU enclosure
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

Show note links: Follow our hosts on Twitter: @thisisneil and @vmarks.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I'm really happy with the current Apple TV. With that device I can make any TV or display I want into a 'Apple Smart TV', and I can upgrade both the Apple TV and the TV/display itself independently. Therefore I am opposed to an integrated all in one 'Apple Smart TV' and feel it would be a step backwards.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    rexbinary said:
    I'm really happy with the current Apple TV. With that device I can make any TV or display I want into a 'Apple Smart TV', and I can upgrade both the Apple TV and the TV/display itself independently. Therefore I am opposed to an integrated all in one 'Apple Smart TV' and feel it would be a step backwards.
    I totally agree with you. I just wish I could have bought a large, "dumb" 4K TV, but that wasn't really an option. I don't think Apple will actually sell a television set, but it would be nice to be able to buy one with an integrated interface that is not a laggy nightmare. Or one that isn't spying on you.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 3 of 9
    What would really be cool is if Apple did make a Smart TV with TV iOS built right in, the perfect TV and the perfect console along with support for cable card and over the Air HD aside from Internet streaming. they would really give Samsung a run for there money. Either way love to see Apple do this, a nice thin light energy efficient screen.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Don't downgrade my iPad camera because it's not important to you. The screen size allows composition that is second to none in photography or video.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Fortytwo said:
    Don't downgrade my iPad camera because it's not important to you. The screen size allows composition that is second to none in photography or video.
    No one is downgrading your iPad camera. I just think the bump is hideous. If you're really that serious about shooting photos with a giant tablet, more power to you.
  • Reply 6 of 9

What would really be cool is if Apple did make a Smart TV with TV iOS built right in, the perfect TV and the perfect console along with support for cable card and over the Air HD aside from Internet streaming. they would really give Samsung a run for there money. Either way love to see Apple do this, a nice thin light energy efficient screen.
    It's never, ever going to happen, for a variety of reasons. But it would be nice! I'd happily buy one.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Well you never know with how technology grows for Apple.Smile!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The problem with smart TVs is he same as the infotainment systems in cars. The manufacturers don't have a clue. See just about any smart TV on the market. The OS and menus are usually terrible.  So an Apple TV system like CarPlay that could be regularly upgraded would be a solution. Won't happen because Apple sells the hardware, and fair enough.  I would rather have a cheap little box doing the higher functionality that can be easily replaced rather than have to replace the TV. The manufacturer of the TV should concentrate on a simple intuitive menu of a TV's core functions, and get that right, rather than distract themselves with smart functions.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 9 of 9
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I think you are selling HomePod short. You may not think much of it now, but you should realize this is a whole new category of device. This device is always on, always available when you talk to it, and it has a prominent place in your home. HomePod looks good and sounds great so people will not hide it when not in use. 

HomePod is a base for your HomeKit gadgets, and it is accessible from outside your home from your iPhone. As you point out, it has an A8 chip which is no slouch of a CPU. 

This reminds me of the Apple home server many talked about years ago. Maybe it will fizzle out but it seems like Apple is establishing a beachhead that can be expanded from later. 

In a year or two will we be able to write apps for this? Will it have hooks to IFTTT?

when the iPhone first came out, before the App Store, a mid level manager asked me if the iPhone would be useful for business. In a few more years the iPhone gained so many features as to be virtually a requirement for business people. Maybe in five years the HomePod will evolve as well?