Charity auction offers lunch with Eddy Cue at Apple Park

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Apple services chief Eddy Cue has followed CEO Tim Cook in offering a lunch date to the winner of a charity auction, with the latest Charitybuzz lot aiming to raise funds for the National Association of Basketball Coaches Foundation through the sale of a meeting with the executive at the new Apple Park headquarters.

The Charitybuzz auction page reveals the winning bidder will have lunch at the 175-acre Apple Park in Cupertino, CA, engaging in a "one-on-one, in-depth conversation" with the executive. The lot is a private meet-and-greet for one person, including a meal and gratuity, to be scheduled at a mutually agreed upon date between the bidder and Apple before June 30 next year.

While the auction lot does include a visit to the campus, it is noted as not including a "formal tour" of the headquarters, and photography of the occasion is not permitted. The winner will have to make their own way to the headquarters, as travel and accommodation is not included as part of the lot.

The auction is currently underway, and will run until 3PM EDT on June 28. At the time of writing, there are no bids on the auction, but Charitybuzz has given it an estimated value of $50,000.

The auction benefits the National Association of Basketball Coaches Foundation, which supports charitable and educational programs in the NABC, including the TTRR national literacy program targeting middle school-aged youth. Cue is a major fan of basketball, and was recently spotted courtside after the Golden State Warriors beat the Cleveland Cavaliers to claim the NBA championship.

This is not the first time Eddy Cue has put his time up for auction in the name of charity. In 2014, Cue raised $85,000 in a similar lunch auction, with the addition of a MacBook Air to the lot.

CEO Tim Cook's auction for a one-hour meal at Apple Park last month raised $688,999, beating the $515,000 raised last year, and the record $610,000 from the 2013 auction. Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights was the beneficiary of this year's Cook meal auction.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    There isn't an eyeroll emoji big enough for this story.
    patchythepiraterobbyx
  • Reply 2 of 24
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    I'd rather have lunch with Eddy than Tim but "National Association of Basketball Coaches Foundation," really, WTF Eddy?! At least Tim supported a useful charity rather than starving basketball coaches!
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I'd rather have lunch with Eddy than Tim but "National Association of Basketball Coaches Foundation," really, WTF Eddy?! At least Tim supported a useful charity rather than starving basketball coaches!
    So tackling illiteracy in middle-school-age youth isn't a worthwhile charity?
    ronncornchip
  • Reply 4 of 24
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Maybe the winner will ask what he actually does at Apple...
    patchythepirateSpamSandwichcornchip
  • Reply 5 of 24
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Rayz2016 said:
    If that what the foundation is about, then it failed at crafting a meaningful name.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    macxpress said:
    Doesn't he run their fastest growing division?
    cornchipfastasleep
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Rayz2016 said:
    If that what the foundation is about, then it failed at crafting a meaningful name.

Or you could have read the article before posting.  Honestly, I was going to post the same snarky comment that you did, based on the headline.  But then I read the article.
    cornchipronnStrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 24
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    I would bid just to visit Apple Park.

The National Association of Basketball Coaches Foundation, Inc., was organized exclusively for charitable and educational purposes, and to support the charitable and education purposes of the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC), a Kansas non-profit corporation.

For a worthy cause. Edited to add: Clearly some are jumping to conclusions and/or are confused by the name of the org. It clearly is charity for educational purposes, not on behalf of coaches. Some of whom are highly paid and compensated (some outrageously considering the rules their players must endure).
    edited June 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Rayz2016 said:
    macxpress said:
    Bahahahahaha! Maybe they say it does, but it seems like nothing ever gets done unless Phil Schillier or someone else takes it over. 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Nameo_Nameo_ Posts: 34member
    Rayz2016 said:
    "the National Association of Basketball Coaches Foundation, which supports charitable and educational programs in the NABC, including the TTRR national literacy program targeting middle school-aged youth."

NABC don't support middle school-aged youth ONLY, but it supports those in education INCLUDING those young players. Judging by the name of the association, it'd be safe to assume that the majority of charity goes to the coaches, not students.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Rayz2016 said:
    macxpress said:
    I hate to disparage well-meaning people, but he just so happens to be the person overseeing Apple's largest weak points. The deficits in some services are extremely frustrating in contrast to Apple's amazing hardware and core software. It seems that any wins in regards to services are likely being carried by the hardware/OS, which compensates for the deficits in services. It's hard not to notice a pattern, and these are all significant issues:

-fumbled Apple Maps deployment and initial (prolonged) development by myopic lack of looking outside of his personal bubble of the bay area. This is something that he, surprisingly, openly admitted to. This is also something that didn't seem to get sufficiently addressed until other execs stepped in. This is all according to that Apple-sanctioned story a while back.
    -app store development seemed to have a lot of issues until Phil took over, then there were rapid, positive changes.
    -the *enormous* lead of Siri, which left competitors completely flat-footed, seems to have been significantly squandered. Various functions kept being added, while the basic functionality seemed to be ignored.
    -ongoing lack of sufficient content, contracted or original. It doesn't show great judgement to be wearing sneakers, no socks, and a Hawaiian shirt to an executive meeting, that's barely passable attire for the continental breakfast at the Hawaiian Hilton.  ...
    -searching for anything, anywhere on an iOS device is still a huge chore, in mail especially, but even in maps, it only searches location titles, and doesn't even include searching for key words in the location descriptors (at least last time I checked)
    -apple pay seems like it could've been better promoted (nice to see the story that just came out on it today)
    -podcasts seems to be largely ignored, with promises for improvements, but little seems to be done. Seems like a huge missed opportunity for many years now.
    -Apple Music, while it has great qualities, seems a bit off. Despite Apple being dominant in music, THERE IS STILL ALMOST NO SUPPORT FOR SUB GENRE CATEGORIZATION. McHammer is still in the same genre as a trance song. And if the personal profile they're finally (yes, finally) releasing doesn't allow for significant customization (beyond just listing playlists), it's going to be DOA. How does Apple not understand this by now??: If you give people enough tools for self-expression, they will go crazy with it. Just look at the popularity of facebook. However, if you don't provide that personal customization, people won't use it. Apple seems much too focused on telling people what to listen to rather than facilitating their own personal tastes. Which is really strange, because 1) Apple's ethos in hardware and software is to 'get out of the way of the user' and 2) music is something that is extremely personal and subjective. People need facilitation more than they need outside curation (which seems more and more to be an unattainable holy grail, rather than a practical goal).
    edited June 2017 radarthekat
  • Reply 12 of 24
    I have always wondered if Eddy Cue continues to have his job at Apple because he has an ongoing relationship with the Devil or if he paid the Devil upfront as a one time deal.  I would definitely ask that if I was to win that lunch with Eddy.  The winner will also learn firsthand how much food Eddy spills on himself.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Not to go too far OT from this article's message, but seriously, take a look at the NABC website http://www.nabcfoundation.org/. Four things are highlighted - College Basketball Experience (an expensive sports facility), Benevolent Fund (depends on how cynical you are as to what really happens with that money), Hall of Fame (more back scratching), and Court of Honor Gala (because you gotta have a yearly blowout).

Not to much on the middle school literacy program, but maybe they're just humble.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    macxpress said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    macxpress said:
    Bahahahahaha! Maybe they say it does, but it seems like nothing ever gets done unless Phil Schillier or someone else takes it over. 
    Sorry, but nobody on this forum has any idea how real business really gets done at Apple corporate. The forums love to bash Cue, likely due to his onstage persona, but the reality is he's responsible for quite a bit
    and is continually rewarded, so the logical conclusion is his bosses are happy with the deliverables of which we are largely igornant. 
    ronnfastasleep
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Nameo_ said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    "the National Association of Basketball Coaches Foundation, which supports charitable and educational programs in the NABC, including the TTRR national literacy program targeting middle school-aged youth."

NABC don't support middle school-aged youth ONLY, but it supports those in education INCLUDING those young players. Judging by the name of the association, it'd be safe to assume that the majority of charity goes to the coaches, not students.
    No, judging by the name of the association it's not safe to assume that whatsoever. You don't seem to understand how foundations work. 
    ronnfastasleep
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Rayz2016 said:
    macxpress said:
    I hate to disparage well-meaning people, but he just so happens to be the person overseeing Apple's largest weak points. The deficits in some services are extremely frustrating in contrast to Apple's amazing hardware and core software. It seems that any wins in regards to services are likely being carried by the hardware/OS, which compensates for the deficits in services. It's hard not to notice a pattern, and these are all significant issues:

-fumbled Apple Maps deployment and initial (prolonged) development by myopic lack of looking outside of his personal bubble of the bay area. This is something that he, surprisingly, openly admitted to. This is also something that didn't seem to get sufficiently addressed until other execs stepped in. This is all according to that Apple-sanctioned story a while back.
    -app store development seemed to have a lot of issues until Phil took over, then there were rapid, positive changes.
    -the *enormous* lead of Siri, which left competitors completely flat-footed, seems to have been significantly squandered. Various functions kept being added, while the basic functionality seemed to be ignored.
    -ongoing lack of sufficient content, contracted or original. It doesn't show great judgement to be wearing sneakers, no socks, and a Hawaiian shirt to an executive meeting, that's barely passable attire for the continental breakfast at the Hawaiian Hilton.  ...
    -searching for anything, anywhere on an iOS device is still a huge chore, in mail especially, but even in maps, it only searches location titles, and doesn't even include searching for key words in the location descriptors (at least last time I checked)
    -apple pay seems like it could've been better promoted (nice to see the story that just came out on it today)
    -podcasts seems to be largely ignored, with promises for improvements, but little seems to be done. Seems like a huge missed opportunity for many years now.
    -Apple Music, while it has great qualities, seems a bit off. Despite Apple being dominant in music, THERE IS STILL ALMOST NO SUPPORT FOR SUB GENRE CATEGORIZATION. McHammer is still in the same genre as a trance song. And if the personal profile they're finally (yes, finally) releasing doesn't allow for significant customization (beyond just listing playlists), it's going to be DOA. How does Apple not understand this by now??: If you give people enough tools for self-expression, they will go crazy with it. Just look at the popularity of facebook. However, if you don't provide that personal customization, people won't use it. Apple seems much too focused on telling people what to listen to rather than facilitating their own personal tastes. Which is really strange, because 1) Apple's ethos in hardware and software is to 'get out of the way of the user' and 2) music is something that is extremely personal and subjective. People need facilitation more than they need outside curation (which seems more and more to be an unattainable holy grail, rather than a practical goal).
    Right, so does he run Apple's fastest growing division or not?
    ronnfastasleep
  • Reply 17 of 24

macxpress said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    macxpress said:
    Okay, so he does run Apple's fastest growing division. That's what I thought I'd read. 
    ronnfastasleep
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Rayz2016 said:

macxpress said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    macxpress said:
    Okay, so he does run Apple's fastest growing division. That's what I thought I'd read. 
    He might be on top of it...but that doesn't mean its successful because of him.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 19 of 24
    macxpress said:
    Rayz2016 said:

macxpress said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    macxpress said:
    He might be on top of it...but that doesn't mean its successful because of him.
    As an anonymous rumor site dweller, what actual knowledge or evidence do you have that Cue is a bumbling, inept, poor-at-his-job schlub? i realize that's the popular narrative on niche sites like this, but absolutely no one here is remotely close to the actual business. someone cited the hawaian shirt story, but even that is just an AI rumor, nobody has a damn clue. 

again -- if he weren't good at his job why would his bosses (Cook plus board) continue to reward him with very lucrative bonuses? Apple is not in the business of giving away free money just for fun. 
    ronnfastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Rayz2016 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    macxpress said:

Right, so does he run Apple's fastest growing division or not?
    I already addressed your comment in my third sentence. And it seems fairly clear that I'm right. 

That kind of fallacious logic seems like the type of thinking that would allow those (very avoidable) issues to become issues in the first place. How many years need to go by before something changes??? I don't know exactly what that something is, but I hope someone at Apple can figure it out sometime soon.