Review: Apple's 2017 10.5" iPad Pro stuns with 120Hz ProMotion display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    THESE ARE SICK! 10 and 12 WOW
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 22 of 97
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    I'm a professional artist who has held off buying the 12.5" iPad Pro until now. Time to make the leap. 
    However, why do the vast majority of reviewers totally ignore Apple's almost religious ban on built-in expandability/connection to an external hard drive or thumb drive? They leave it to third party and albeit awkward workarounds. Was there some directive reviewers got years ago not to place this feature on a wish list? Or is it just me? Yes, Apple wants you to move to a laptop for those features but many of us aren't going down that road. From an artist's perspective, my Mac Mini and iPad Pro is all I need. 
    One nit picky comment. Another reviewer mentioned that the new 10" iPad Pro is definitely not big enough to fully show a full size keyboard. Which is it?

It does have a full size on-screen keypad, which I am using now, but the new Apple keypad cover is far superior.  My Air2 had a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard, which was state of the art then, but not now.  The direct connector makes a huge difference.

As a scientist I am now finally able to view and manipulate huge CAD files (I'm using Turboviewer) - something my old Air2 could not handle.

After a couple of days of playing around with the 10.5 iPad I couldn't be more pleased.  When iOS 11 comes out this will be my primary travel computer.

As for the comments regarding the improved camera being a meh, because who uses a camera on an iPad, you will be glad it was upgraded when running AR programs in the near future.  I need it now for running a specialized survey program (Theodolite).

There is one thing though about the Pro iPads that I haven't seen mentioned and that is the Pro software tax.  Microsoft Office isn't free, you have to purchase an Office 365 subscription (but it's probably finally time for me to dump Office anyway).  There is other software also (such as Duet (a fav 2nd screen app, etc)) that has a Pro upgrade cost.  So you might want to check that out when you are calculating purchase budgets.
    tallest skilwatto_cobrachiaanantksundaram
  • Reply 23 of 97
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    As Soli mentioned, I think it is ludicrous that Apple's "Pro" iPad (and top phone model!) will not connect or charge out of the box to its "Pro" laptop.  This, from a company that has a history and reputation for aggressively adopting (or dropping) I/O standards. 

Having just bought a MacBook Pro, I won't replace my original retina iPad until it has USB-C. 

Apple, please get your laptop and iOS hardware teams together and sort this out!!
    There's nothing to sort out. Get the cable you need:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0X2AM/A/usb-c-to-lightning-cable-1-m

...thank me later. 
    watto_cobrapscooter63chiamagman1979
  • Reply 24 of 97
    Lol.
    Interesting the bizarre disparity of opinion...

I read this blurb on 9to5:
    “The new iPad Pro, however, concedes nothing to price. It’s an all-in product that cuts no corners”

Buuuuut, on this site:

“with a $649 starting price, Apple cuts just a few too many corners for our liking”

I own one & love it (though, I’m straining to try to see the display differences that these reviewers call “obvious”).... so I was REALLY curious what corners they felt were cut- after reading like 30 paragraphs of praise, I finally came across the note that they thought Apple should’ve included the faster charger. 
    Thats the “few too many corners” AI is talking about I guess.

sheesh..... talk about nit-picking!
    Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 97
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    Lol.

“The new iPad Pro, however, concedes nothing to price. It’s an all-in product that cuts no corners”

Buuuuut, on this site:

“with a $649 starting price, Apple cuts just a few too many corners for our liking”

I own one & love it (though, I’m straining to try to see the display differences that these reviewers call “obvious”).... so I was REALLY curious what corners they felt were cut- after reading like 30 paragraphs of praise, I finally came across the note that they thought Apple should’ve included the faster charger. 

You left out the parts where I note that the $650 entry price is $150 more than the new flagship iPad cost for years. Or where I say the $329 iPad offers more value to consumers (a product we rated higher at 4.5/5 stars). Or where I said that to get the most out of this iPad you would have to spend closer to $981. Or where I say that Smart Connector support is lacking and Apple should push third parties to create more options, since only Logitech is making devices for it. 

4 out of 5 is an excellent score for an excellent product. But there are clear, simple ways Apple could improve the product without the need for a theoretical A11X chip or 16MP camera or iOS 12. Hence the score, and the comment about cut corners. 
    watto_cobrachiaanantksundaramGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 97
    Soli said:
    1) Amazing YoY update and most of this will be lot on the average user. They may perceive that it's better than their previous iPad but it's unlikely that they will know why it looks and feels better without reading a technical review or having watched the keynote. Would any of us? I'm sure I'd just assume it's just a better CPU and GPU making it feel smoother.

2) I wish USB-C would be adopted for iDevices already. if it's not start of the iPad, which has a lower installed base and likely not connected to a PC/Mac as often as a smartphone, what's the likelihood the iPhone will get a USB-C charger and connector*?

* Not in place of Lightning, but as a replacement for USB-A.
    You just can't make that case with a straight face while the entire world still has USB-A.
    Heck there are more USB-A ports out there than Lightning.

It just doesn't make practical sense, even though it makes all logical sense in the world to get on with it already.
    tycho_macuser
  • Reply 27 of 97
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    1) Amazing YoY update and most of this will be lot on the average user. They may perceive that it's better than their previous iPad but it's unlikely that they will know why it looks and feels better without reading a technical review or having watched the keynote. Would any of us? I'm sure I'd just assume it's just a better CPU and GPU making it feel smoother.

2) I wish USB-C would be adopted for iDevices already. if it's not start of the iPad, which has a lower installed base and likely not connected to a PC/Mac as often as a smartphone, what's the likelihood the iPhone will get a USB-C charger and connector*?

* Not in place of Lightning, but as a replacement for USB-A.
    You just can't make that case with a straight face while the entire world still has USB-A.
    Heck there are more USB-A ports out there than Lightning.

It just doesn't make practical sense, even though it makes all logical sense in the world to get on with it already.
    And how do you think adoption works if no one is suppose to move forward until the majority has moved forward? We wouldn't have USB-A if people running Apple had your mindset when they decided to adopt USB-A. The difference today, is that Apple doesn’t have to lead the charge because USB-C is replacing micro-USB-B on mobile devicess and the mini-DP/TB port on PCs across all vendors.
    pscooter63chia
  • Reply 28 of 97
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    nhughes said:
    Lol.

Buuuuut, on this site:

You left out the parts where I note that the $650 entry price is $150 more than the new flagship iPad cost for years. Or where I say the $329 iPad offers more value to consumers (a product we rated higher at 4.5/5 stars). Or where I said that to get the most out of this iPad you would have to spend closer to $981. Or where I say that Smart Connector support is lacking and Apple should push third parties to create more options, since only Logitech is making devices for it. 

4 out of 5 is an excellent score for an excellent product. But there are clear, simple ways Apple could improve the product without the need for a theoretical A11X chip or 16MP camera or iOS 12. Hence the score, and the comment about cut corners. 
    None of your points, except the charger, seem to fit the definition of a cut corner.

A higher price is not a corner cut. 

The fact another product offers better value is not a corner cut.

Separetly priced accessories, which are needed only by a portion of the market, is not a corner cut.

Lack of third-party support for the Smart connector is not a corner cut.  The smart connector still does what it does, offers the capability it was designed to offer, regardless of whether many third parties have taken advantage of it.  If in six months a pile of third parties have created accessories that connect to it, will you say that Apple has now tacked that corner back on, when the functionality of the connector has not changed at all?  Makes no sense to call this a cut corner. 
    pscooter63firelockRayz2016anantksundaramStrangeDaysmwhitetycho_macuser
  • Reply 29 of 97
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    dougd said:
    I don't care what they do to improve the iPad. If you gave me one I'd sell it off to buy the latest Plus version of the iPhone 

An iPad is a useless device to me.
    Thanks for that. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 97
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Just sold my iPad mini 4 and bought the new 10.5" iPad Pro and couldn't be happier. Perfect size, lightweight, incredibly detailed display and worth every dollar.
    Thanks to this excellent review, I'll now be purchasing the smart keyboard and 29 watt adapter. Appleinsider is truly the place to go for all things Apple. 
    One possible error in the article: I think "Apple sells a 29-watt power adapter, albeit with a USB-C connector"  should read Apple sells a 29-watt power adapter, albeit without a USB-C connector".
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 31 of 97
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    None of your points, except the charger, seem to fit the definition of a cut corner.
    100% agree, the expression seems a little forced and unconventional in this context.  "Cutting corners" usually means deliberately implementing compromises to hit a milestone sooner.  Or reducing expenses to maximize profits at the expense of quality. 

Perceived lack of bang-for-the-buck is something else entirely.

tycho_macuser
  • Reply 32 of 97
    nhughes said:
    Lol.

Buuuuut, on this site:

Separetly priced accessories, which are needed only by a portion of the market, is not a corner cut.

Lack of third-party support for the Smart connector is not a corner cut.  The smart connector still does what it does, offers the capability it was designed to offer, regardless of whether many third parties have taken advantage of it.  If in six months a pile of third parties have created accessories that connect to it, will you say that Apple has now tacked that corner back on, when the functionality of the connector has not changed at all?  Makes no sense to call this a cut corner. 
    Call them whatever you want -- cut corners, shortcomings, flaws, etc. We're focusing on one phrase used in one paragraph of a lengthy (and by the way, extremely positive) review. 

I wanted to get across in the opening paragraph that there were simple things Apple could have done to improve the product out of the box. The lede serves to summarize the piece in a simple and concise way. Obviously when you boil thousands of words down into two sentences, some meaning is lost. 

If issue is taken with my use of the words "cut corners," so be it. I was just attempting to explain that the $650 price is steep, and many customers will be equally served by the $330 iPad. 
    edited June 2017 radarthekat
  • Reply 33 of 97
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    nhughes said:
    nhughes said:
    Lol.

Buuuuut, on this site:

Call them whatever you want -- cut corners, shortcomings, flaws, etc. We're focusing on one phrase used in one paragraph of a lengthy (and by the way, extremely positive) review. 

I wanted to get across in the opening paragraph that there were simple things Apple could have done to improve the product out of the box. The lede serves to summarize the piece in a simple and concise way. Obviously when you boil thousands of words down into two sentences, some meaning is lost. 

If issue is taken with my use of the words "cut corners," so be it. I was just attempting to explain that the $650 price is steep, and many customers will be equally served by the $330 iPad. 

It's not really a question of 'taking an issue' though, is it? Your use of the phrase 'cut corner' is clearly wrong. I don't think anyone is saying that these issues shouldn't be highlighted; what folk are saying is that they should be described correctly. 

I read the article twice and came away thinking, 'So where the hell were all these cut corners then?'

The lack of third party support for the smart connect is not a cut corner.
    A hike in price is not a cut corner. 
    The only thing mentioned here that could be described as a cut corner is the low power charger, which as shortcomings go gets a 'meh, whatever' from me.

Accuracy is important, whether you're a blogger or a journalist. A few folk here feel the same way, which is why they pointed this out. 

pscooter63StrangeDaysthtradarthekattycho_macuser
  • Reply 34 of 97
    One possible error in the article: I think "Apple sells a 29-watt power adapter, albeit with a USB-C connector"  should read Apple sells a 29-watt power adapter, albeit without a USB-C connector".
    Thanks for the kind words! That sentence was intended -- the 29-watt power adapter features a USB-C female port, not a full-size USB port. 
    bluefire1
  • Reply 35 of 97

Rayz2016 said:
    nhughes said:
    nhughes said:
    Lol.

Buuuuut, on this site:

It's not really a question of 'taking an issue' though, is it? Your use of the phrase 'cut corner' is clearly wrong. I don't think anyone is saying that these issues shouldn't be highlighted; what folk are saying is that they should be described correctly. 

I read the article twice and came away thinking, 'So where the hell were all these cut corners then?'

The only thing mentioned here that could be described as a cut corner is the low power charger, which as shortcomings go gets a 'meh, whatever' from me.

Accuracy is important, whether you're a blogger or a journalist. A few folk here feel the same way, which is why they pointed this out. 

Thanks. The input is genuinely appreciated. I will concede that, in hindsight, I could have used a better figure of speech to summarize my feelings about the product in the opening paragraph. That said, I stand by the content of the review, and take issue with your suggestion that it is lacking in "accuracy." Taking a complex, lengthy take on a product and boiling it down to a headline or single tl;dr paragraph is difficult. We do the best we can, but obviously some efforts will be better than others. I hope that a prospective buyer -- one who maybe doesn't have the time/patience  to read the full review -- at least sees the opening paragraphs and gets a good feel for my sentiment on this product and its strengths and shortcomings. I maintain that most buyers will be well served by the $330 iPad for years to come. 
  • Reply 36 of 97
    nhughes said:

Rayz2016 said:
    nhughes said:
    nhughes said:
    Lol.

Buuuuut, on this site:

I will concede that, in hindsight, I could have used a better figure of speech to summarize my feelings about the product in the opening paragraph. That said, I stand by the content of the review, and take issue with your suggestion that it is lacking in "accuracy." 
    I think you are simply getting more defensive. Your expression that Apple cut corners with this product was clearly inaccurate, for the reasons pointed out by many readers. To be honest, the constant references in the article to imagined corners cut came across as unnecessary sour grapes - except for the 29W charger, which does seem like Apple cutting corners, the other points were not valid, imho.

That the 2017 iPad provides better value is your personal opinion and you are certainly entitled to that. But, for someone like me (and, dare I say, a few others on this forum) looking for a Pro model with higher capabilities, it's really an apples and oranges comparison and kind of irrelevant when you are reviewing the higher end model. Case in point, I am getting the $329 iPad for my aged parents and the 10.5" iPad Pro for myself as my primary work computer as I am always on the go. So, it's not as if your readers are unaware of the relative merits and capabilities of each product. 
    edited June 2017 StrangeDaystycho_macuser
  • Reply 37 of 97
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    slurpy said:
    dougd said:
    I don't care what they do to improve the iPad. If you gave me one I'd sell it off to buy the latest Plus version of the iPhone 

An iPad is a useless device to me.
    That's nice. So, I guess Apple should cease all production of the iPad, since it's "useless" to YOU. 

I never understand the point of these stupid posts. I mean, you clicked on this thread, then composed a post claiming you don't care about the product. Why? What the hell does this have to do with the review?
    Because people believe that if they speak, people will listen, that everyone else will suddenly realise the inflated ego is deserved. Add to that the childish notion that fame is achieved through negativity, and you've got yourself the modern internet troll.

Some forum moderation wouldn't be misplaced with these sorts of comments, they add nothing to the discussion, in fact they detract from what would otherwise be something interesting, it sends a message those sorts of comments and the people behind them aren't welcome here, and this place would instantly improve.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 38 of 97
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Great tablet. Very expensive though. €749 ($838) for entry model 10.5” in Ireland, without fast charger, Smart Keyboard, Pencil (or rear cover).

Adding some of those items prices the 64 GB iPad Pro at €1,125 ($1,258) after tax.

Or why not grab a 512 GB 12.5” model instead for a cool €1,775 ($2K)
    edited June 2017 nhughes
  • Reply 39 of 97
    Don't the iPad Pros still come with the extra long charging cable? The cable included in the box with my original 12.9" is close to 80", so it's not hard to charge while using in a pinch.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 40 of 97
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Excellent article I see a few others mention 'getting the wife... for her birthday' like I was thinking,  seems from this article, for non-expert user as she is (Netflix, web and mail only) the $329 model is a steal!
    edited June 2017