Review: Apple's 2017 12.9" iPad Pro gains feature parity with its smaller sibling

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    jdb8167 said:
    Hmm, your 1 hour and 40 minute charge with the 29 watt charger seems off. With the 10.5” iPad Pro it took over 2 hours to charge from 0% to 100%. With the larger battery I the 12.5” iPad Pro, I can’t believe the time is less. When testing the 1st gen 12.5” iPad Pro I got 2 hours and 47 minutes from 0% to 100%.
    Apple themselves says the charging-time is less on the 2017 Pro model. But they also warn that you have to use not only their 29W Type-C charger... but ALONG WITH the Apple specifically-made USB-C to Lightning Cable... and not some cheaper version of the cable which most retail-outlets sell (such as Amazon). They claim most of those knock-off cables are limited to only a 2 Amp output current-delivery... which of course makes the charging-time suffer on the bigger iPad Pro.
    Yes. All Apple. It takes about 5 hours to charge the 1st gen 12.9” iPad Pro using the supplied 12 watt charger. I haven’t measured the 10.5” iPad Pro with the included charger but I suspect over 4 hours. The 1st gen 12.9” iPad Pro has the usb-c charging. The 9.7” did not. 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 22 of 30
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    nhughes said:
    xbit said:
    Where is '3D Touch' on either, or rather any iPad model? How is there incentive for developers to accommodate its use? Why was it even introduced to begin with? :/

I'm absolutely in love with my new 12.9" iPad but I do miss using 3D Touch to move the cursor around text fields. 
    You can use two fingers on the keyboard for this.
    Oh wow, I never knew that. Thanks!
    nhughes
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Where is '3D Touch' on either, or rather any iPad model? How is there incentive for developers to accommodate its use? Why was it even introduced to begin with? :/

3D Touch requires a taptic engine. On the iPhone, you can feel the vibration from the engine towards the bottom of the iPhone. Just compare a 3D Touch near the top and then near the bottom. You can feel that it's coming from the bottom. 3D Touch on an iPad would require at least 2 of these engines, and even then it won't feel great. For even coverage on the 12.9, it would end up needing 4 of them. Those engines would take up way too much space and won't make sense for them to add the feature. Unless Apple comes up with some new tech to make a thinner and wider engine to cover more surface area. 
  • Reply 24 of 30
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Honestly, I haven't found the 3D Touch feature on my 6s to be all that useful. Maybe it's because it's inconsistently used, but I rarely use it. long touch could accomplish much if not all of the same features if properly implemented
  • Reply 25 of 30
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    jdw said:
    Superb review! I absolutely LOVE the repeated call upon Apple to do justice to the "pro" price tag by including a 29W adapter instead of the pathetically small 12W. I even sent Apple iPad feedback just now, repeating my earlier feedback to them on that point, but this time with a link to your excellent article. I hope more people will rant about this so Apple will finally act. We shouldn't be forced to pay $75 on top of the already pricey 12.9" just to charge it at a reasonable speed. Bravo, AppleInsider!
    Meh, I don't think that is so clear cut. Its more like 6 of one half dozen of another. One could easily construct the opposite argument; Why should every user be forced to pay $50 more for an included high power speed charger even if they don't put much value in speed charging? Isn't that the argument I see all the time; that apple is too inclusive of extras and doesn't give the consumer the choice of a-la-cate pricing? Dammed if they do, and dammed if they don't.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 26 of 30
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Apple client representatives (one with Apple chat online and the other in an Apple Store Genius Bar) said not to use the the 29-watt power adapter and Lightning to USB-C cable to charge my new 10.5" iPad Pro because the extra wattage could cause problems.
    Can someone clarify if the author of  the article (Nhughes) is correct or the Apple personnel are.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    bluefire1 said:
    Apple client representatives (one with Apple chat online and the other in an Apple Store Genius Bar) said not to use the the 29-watt power adapter and Lightning to USB-C cable to charge my new 10.5" iPad Pro because the extra wattage could cause problems.
    Yeah, they always say that. I've been told that when buying a new 12W when I said I'd use it for an iPhone. They actually made a point of asking me with what devices I'd use it before I said that. Underpowered charging units (using a 45W MacBook Air charger on a MacBook Pro, for example) are a problem, but modern electronics (namely Apple products) aren't going to overdraw power. I've had zero trouble using higher wattage chargers with lower wattage products. The 29 really should have come with the 13" iPad Pro, though.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 28 of 30
    I purchased a new 12.9 inch iPad last week, i went ahead and got the 29 watt adapter and the usb c to lightning cord and I can verify from around 3 percent to 100 percent took right at 1.5 hours... very impressive for sure!!!!
  • Reply 29 of 30
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    bluefire1 said:
    Can someone clarify if the author of  the article (Nhughes) is correct or the Apple personnel are.
    The 10.5" iPad Pro is capable of 29W power draw via USB 3.0 over Lightning. Check the hardware regulatory information buried in the Settings app — it's rated to use 14.5 volts at 2 amps, which is equivalent to 29 watts.