Apple Music expands annual subscription option beyond gift cards

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
People with an existing Apple Music subscription can now switch to a cheaper annual plan without having to buy a gift card -- though the option is relatively hidden.

Image Credit: TechCrunch
Image Credit: TechCrunch

To find it, subscribers must go into the iOS 10 App Store, scroll to the bottom of the Featured tab, and select their Apple ID, TechCrunch noted on Monday. This will prompt for a password, after which people can tap on "View Apple ID," then finally on the Subscriptions button to check their Apple Music membership.

A one-year individual plan is $99 in the U.S., a significant discount off the nearly $120 it costs to go month-by-month. Unfortunately, there are no annual tiers for student or family accounts, and the option is invisible to people who aren't already using Apple Music.

In fact, Apple has so far downplayed the annual option in marketing. The gift card first appeared in September, but is only highlighted in the company's online store.

Offering a discounted plan may nevertheless help Apple compete with the market leader in on-demand streaming, Spotify. The latter is still selling 12-month gift cards for the same price it costs to go month-to-month.

Apple is also aiming to compete with Spotify by offering more original video content. Recently it premiered "Planet of the Apps," and hired two former Sony executives to spearhead future efforts.
MisterKitjahbladelostkiwiFolioGeorgeBMac

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Awesome! Your article just saved me $20 over the year. Cheers!
    lostkiwigregoriusmGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 14
    not available as an option in the philippines yet.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Well you're really not a part of the U.S. As in not a state. This is a U.S. deal right now. Though for me, still to high. How about a $4.99 plan for everyone but maybe with some limitations like the number of hours or something. I really don't tune into a lot of music. There's no way I'm going to pay the same price I pay Netflix for what I think is a far better value.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    It's nice to see this sort of deal instead of the more typical "new customers only" ones we have in the US.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 5 of 14
    So as a new user I get to give this a go including the 3 month trial (15 months for $99) which is pretty neat.

wonkothesane
  • Reply 6 of 14
    jleemjleem Posts: 3member
    I actually swapped over to this option via my phone as described above a while ago, back in March (I am in Canada though, so maybe it is different). 
  • Reply 7 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,365member
    Note that you can also subscribe to the discounted full year subscription via your Mac or AppleTV (Gen 4):

See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202039
    lostkiwigregoriusm
  • Reply 8 of 14
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    dewme said:
    Note that you can also subscribe to the discounted full year subscription via your Mac or AppleTV (Gen 4):

See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202039
    Great link - thanks very much!
    jib
  • Reply 9 of 14
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member

Nice find. With that price point, HomePod, and untethered watch I probably will find it impossible not to finally subscribe to AppleMusic. 

FWIW, a recent survey of more than 1000 U.S. consumers on e-commerce and streaming had good and bad news in it for AppleMusic. Compared to Amazon Prime or Netflix, it’s not that sticky. Only 35% of respondents said they were “most likely” intended to keep AppleMusic. (Compared with 37% for Spotify and 53% for Pandora) Netflix had 72% and Amazon Prime 67%.

Good news for Apple is Spotify users looking slightly less satisfied, declining from past surveys. While AppleMusic slightly improving. [But bar graph, so not certain within 3% error rate]

As far as HomePod, it was too early to make the survey. But of Amazon Echo and Google Home users surveyed, “Play and control Music” ranked highest (32%) as most appealing feature. Ability to Ask it Questions (23%) and Home Automation (15%). Shopping only 5%. More confirmation Apple's emphasis on music for HomePod was right on target.

[This came out 30MAY2017, Bank America Merrill Lynch Analytics updating periodic survey with 20-page report by Justin Post et al.]

lostkiwi
  • Reply 10 of 14
    jbdragon said:
    Well you're really not a part of the U.S. As in not a state. This is a U.S. deal right now. Though for me, still to high. How about a $4.99 plan for everyone but maybe with some limitations like the number of hours or something. I really don't tune into a lot of music. There's no way I'm going to pay the same price I pay Netflix for what I think is a far better value.

It's available here in India now. The pricing is ridiculous here anyway. Now it's even cheaper! I'm on the Family Plan, so no annual subscription option for me.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    Disappointed that they don't have it available for Family Plan
    irnchriz
  • Reply 12 of 14
    An even better idea is to first fund your account with discounted iTunes gift cards, then proceed with switching to the yearly plan. I did this back in march and got a whole year of Apple Music for $80 ($6.66/month)!
  • Reply 13 of 14
    aspen63aspen63 Posts: 1member
    In Russia we've had this option for some time. At least I switched to yearly plan in March. And fees in Russia are significantly lower. 1-year plan is 1690 RUR, about 29 USD. May be it's not a bad idea to switch your AppleID to another country? :)
  • Reply 14 of 14
    An even better idea is to first fund your account with discounted iTunes gift cards, then proceed with switching to the yearly plan. I did this back in march and got a whole year of Apple Music for $80 ($6.66/month)!
    Has anybody tried discounted iTunes gift cards for the family plan?
    I want to get Apple Music but $180 a year is steep.