Alleged 'iPhone 8' screen protector shows edge-to-edge layout, 'dip' for front-facing sens...

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2017
Photos and video of a screen protector -- purportedly for Apple's "iPhone 8" -- may support the idea that the device will have an edge-to-edge display, excluding only a small area for an earpiece and front-facing sensors.

The protector uses tempered glass, and is being made by a company called Olixar, leaker Benjamin Geskin noted on Twitter. Media shared on China's Weibo is believed to show the product in real life.

The accessory matches other recent leaks, suggesting that contrary to early rumors Apple won't (and/or may not be able to) hide imaging sensors under the phone's 5.8-inch OLED display. The company has reportedly had success embedding Touch ID though, enabling use of a virtual home button without putting a fingerprint sensor on the back, as with some Android devices.

Unlike Samsung's Galaxy S8, the "iPhone 8" is expected to use a "2.5D" OLED panel, stopping at the edges instead of curving around them. The S8 has some related extra features, but Apple may have restricted curves to ease production.

One of the signature features of the new iPhone, likely shipping in October or later, should be 3D facial recognition including iris scanning. Other changes may involve wireless charging, faster cable charging, and a speedy "A11" processor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Now we know. 
    Maybe.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    can we time travel to september now? i can't wait.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    mejsric said:
    yes, we can travel in time to the future. September arriving in 3 months.  ;)
    pscooter63
  • Reply 4 of 16
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    "Apple may have restricted curves..." because every time I see a Galaxy phone with that wrap around display I'm reminded how there's ABSOLUTELY NO ANGLE YOU CAN HOLD ONE THAT DOESN'T PRODUCE GLARE.   Duh
    pscooter63rs1919
  • Reply 5 of 16
    rs1919rs1919 Posts: 13member
    "Apple may have restricted curves..." because every time I see a Galaxy phone with that wrap around display I'm reminded how there's ABSOLUTELY NO ANGLE YOU CAN HOLD ONE THAT DOESN'T PRODUCE GLARE.   Duh
    Yes, don’t get me wrong, the Samsung 8 is s good looking phone, but every time I’ve seen it in person, it always has a shining glare. I view a curved screen as something where my hand is always going to be covering a portion of it and i’ll be viewing the edge of the screen at an angle rather than straight on. I’ll take and edge to edge screen (with a tiny bezel) over a curved screen and look forward to Apple’s introduction, because, despite my grievances with the curved screen, the bigger screen’s vs phone real estate on the S7 and especially S8 has been an area where Samsung has bested Apple... but hopefully Apple will introduce a solution without the sacrifices Samsung made like the fingerprint reader being in an awkward spot in the back.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Nameo_Nameo_ Posts: 34member
    At this point, the almost bezel-less design with that front facing camera cutout is pretty much "officially confirmed."
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 7 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    To me this looks like the display glass itself, not a glass screen protector.
    mike1
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Assuming TouchID is beneath the screen, I am wondering if it will be compatible with onscreen protections such as glass panels or even plastic sheets...
  • Reply 9 of 16
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    mejsric said:
    I'd rather not waste my entire summer.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    ireland said:
    Agreed. No way a screen protector would have all those tiny cut outs at the top. Be impossible to align. A screen protector will likely have a single trapezoidal knock-out for that area.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    cassherncasshern Posts: 10member
    And where does the clock go, since it is centered on top?

This looks false.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Well, I hate no bezel designs. My square fingers constantly set off things on other phones and devices without a bezel. I can't pick up a Samsung Edge without setting off three or four things. Very annoying. I hope the fingerprint sensor or other control is not on the back, also. The LG and Samsung phones I've used that have that, I'm always missing where to put the finger the first or second time.

That being said, I'll deal with it, because the rest of the phone looks like it will be super nice.

(And HTML mail still sucks, by the way. ;) And get off my lawn!)
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 13 of 16
    mike1 said:
    ireland said:
    Agreed. No way a screen protector would have all those tiny cut outs at the top. Be impossible to align. A screen protector will likely have a single trapezoidal knock-out for that area.
    A screen protector would have a cut out only for the earpiece, like any other screen protector.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    ireland said:
    mike1 said:
    ireland said:
    A screen protector would have a cut out only for the earpiece, like any other screen protector.
    True, but my current phone only has the front camera visible. Not sure what the other three knock-outs would be for. Wasn't sure if they were for sensors that may or may not be affected by the screen protector.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    mike1 said:
    ireland said:
    mike1 said:
    ireland said:
    True, but my current phone only has the front camera visible. Not sure what the other three knock-outs would be for. Wasn't sure if they were for sensors that may or may not be affected by the screen protector.
    It will be interesting to see what all of the sensors are on the front of this new iPhone and what story Apple decides to tell.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    ireland said:
    I hope not. 

Instead, I hope Apple will take advantage of the e-ink technology to create a digital bezel. One that can be customised, like the watch band on the Sony watch.

source: the Verge

>:x