Case maker gambles big on Apple's rumored 'iPhone 8' design, builds 9 cases for edge-to-ed...

Posted:
in iPhone
Olixar -- the company behind a recent "iPhone 8" screen protector -- on Tuesday launched a complete series of cases for Apple's upcoming phone, banking on rumored features such as an edge-to-edge OLED display and a vertically-aligned rear camera.

The company has 9 cases in all, with opaque or transparent backs. Preorder prices range from $12.99 for a snap-on clear case to $31.99 for the X-Trio, which comes in three colors and includes a screen protector. The protector is also being sold separately for the same price.

Olixar is presumably basing its products on leaked schematics, which could pose a risk for buyers, especially since some schematics have likely been fake or non-finalized. Apple does sometimes provide details to case makers ahead of time, but only for products meant to ship on or after an announcement.

The "iPhone 8" will likely be revealed this September, but ship in October or later because of production issues. Its centerpiece should be a 5.8-inch OLED screen, about 0.7 of that being reserved for a virtual home button and possibly other software controls.

The screen should also include an embedded Touch ID sensor, and a cutout towards the top for the sake of an earpiece and front-facing sensors. Early rumors indicated that Apple wanted to embed those parts too, but if so, the company appears to have decided this was impractical.

Some other anticipated upgrades include a wireless charging option, 3D facial recognition, and an "A11" processor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Those representations (images of iPhone in case) are pretty nice.  
  • Reply 2 of 12
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Looked at all the cases. Pretty nice. Would be very happy if the new iPhone looks like this. Actually prefer the "wings" or "cut out" to the thin bezel on top. Not a fan of the Galaxy look. Always wonder why the screen protector include a piece that mimicks the camera/speaker array? Why not just a solid piece of glass? 
  • Reply 3 of 12
    supadav03 said:
    Looked at all the cases. Pretty nice. Would be very happy if the new iPhone looks like this. Actually prefer the "wings" or "cut out" to the thin bezel on top. Not a fan of the Galaxy look. Always wonder why the screen protector include a piece that mimicks the camera/speaker array? Why not just a solid piece of glass? 

Presumably some combination of a) not wanting to cover the lenses with another layer of glass or plastic and b) to account for the "bump."  Both are important.  I wouldn't buy a case that covered the lens (unless it was a special-purpose extra rugged design, where I'm willing to trade image quality for durability).
  • Reply 4 of 12
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    They're in a world of hurt if the phones are even slightly different. Doesn't seem like a wise move to base your cases off of rumors. At this point, I wouldn't buy any case without a built in kick stand. I use mine all the time and it comes in so handy. Much better then trying to find something to lean it against.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    One wonders how the heck this case maker could get their hands on precise dimension of iPhone 8. If 1-2mm difference from real iphone 8 can make these cases useless. I wouldn't touch it..
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 6 of 12
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    These cases look hideous, ugh!
  • Reply 7 of 12
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I wonder if wireless charging would still work if you had a case on the phone? 
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I wonder if wireless charging would still work if you had a case on the phone? 
    I use a Qi tag with my iPhone 7plus inside a rather thick Incipio hybrid case and it charges just fine. I see no reason why the iPhone 8 would behave any different, should it have a similar charging system built-in. You bet it's one of the first things Apple would test.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    I wish Apple would go back to the June release timeframe they had when the original few iPhone models!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    supadav03 said:
    The glass covering the camera might distort the image and the glass covering the speaker would muffle the sound.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I still don't "get" the cases with cut-outs for the apple logo. It surely would just collect dirt and expose a circle to scratches etc.

I recently seen an iPhone 6 for sale locally that was in a case like this all it's life, there was an obvious dull circle on the rear where it had been exposed to the elements which looked much worse than the usual wear and tear scuffs.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    supadav03 said:

Presumably some combination of a) not wanting to cover the lenses with another layer of glass or plastic and b) to account for the "bump."  Both are important.  I wouldn't buy a case that covered the lens (unless it was a special-purpose extra rugged design, where I'm willing to trade image quality for durability).
    I get that line of thinking but on my current tempered glass screen protector it covers the whole front of the phone with cut outs in the glass for speaker and camera. Why not just do that? Thinks it's more elegant than adding fake black colored "wings" to the protectors. Similar to the two different styles in the attached pics. You have the one with the added chin & top bezel and the one that's just all glass. 
    edited June 2017