Samsung to launch Galaxy Note 8 in August, ahead of Apple's 'iPhone 8'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    jungmark said:
    The event is gonna be a blast.

i wonder if they'll make it sexist or creepy. 

Based on previous events, they'll probably go for both.

And no doubt, they'll make some tone deaf dig at an unannounced feature of the new iPhone.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 38
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Samsung must be a very efficient company to constantly produce new products far faster than what Apple can do. They must use a dozen smartphone teams compared to one Apple iPhone team. After all, Samsung produces dozens of models of smartphones like Nokia used to be able to do with cellphones. I'd really like to see the inner workings of Samsung's smartphone division. I'm guessing that S. Korea must produce some very smart engineering students in high quantities and maybe Samsung selects only the very best of those students to work there. I'm just curious to find out what it takes to produce the best smartphones money can buy. Individuals or management or just the proper mix of the two? Is Apple really doomed without Steve Jobs making the product decisions?

The only problem with producing so many smartphones is it sort of dilutes sales despite the extra R&D and tooling costs. Consumers might have a hard time deciding between a S8 and a Note 8 so one of them is bound to lose out.  There's also going to be the rugged S8 Active to choose from, too.  It's just so strange Apple seems to struggle building one new iPhone while Samsung just breezes along spitting out multiple model variations.  That seems like it would cause an awful lot of extra tooling and time spent.  What's even stranger is you never hear about Samsung smartphones being delayed but iPhones are always reported as having some sort of delays for one reason after another.  Why does only Apple have that problem and Samsung doesn't?  I just can't figure that out.  Fake news, possibly?
    You do realize Samsung is on a different release calendar for their flagship models compared to when iPhone's are released. When was the last time an iPhone release was delayed? Exactly. Of course you are going to hear more about Apple when they are the leader and everyone else such as Samsung plays follow the leader. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 38
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Samsung: Quantity over Quality. Apple: Quality over Quantity.

The difference between them is as far as the sky with the earth.

Baso.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Samsung is actually a great company. I love my Apple products, but let's be honest here and give Samsung their due also. 

The OLED panel in the upcoming iPhone 8 will be produced by Samsung. Samsung makes the best v-NAND product in the non-volatile memory industry. When Apple needed a CPU for the original iPhone, Intel turned the company down. It was Samsung that built the CPU. 

Samsung just filed an amicus brief in support of Apple in their ongoing legal battle against Qualcomm. 

Qualcomm charges Apple (and Samsung too) inappropriately to subsidize the chips that go into the inexpensive Chinese handsets. It was Google and Eric Schmidt that stole the iOS interface. Samsung was the company that drove Android's success, but Samsung has big plans in store to move off of Android. The mobile device market is going to be dominated by two companies, Samsung and Apple. 

It would be very nice for the two companies to maintain a friendly working relationship as they are now set to utterly dominate the computing landscape in the near future. A shortage for critical high performance smartphone components is rapidly developing. Samsung and Apple control nearly all of the technologies involved. It means that the next iteration of the Pixel will have a conventional LCD panel and limited memory. The digital imaging sensor will be inferior to the ones in the Galaxy and iPhones. The CPU will be slower and less capable. As it is, Samsung is getting nearly the entire supply of Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 SOCs. Even LG is being left high and dry. And it isn't even close to filling Samsung's demand. The international version of the Galaxy S8 comes with the Exynos 8895 which is the better processor in actuality. 

Samsung's profits are projected to beat even Apple's for the past quarter. 

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/06/20/samsung-q2-2017-operating-profit-may-beat-every-other-company-on-the-planet/

I plan on upgrading to the iPhone 8. I have an iPad Pro, an iMac with plans on purchasing a MacBook Pro. I do own the Gear S3 watch with LTE. It's a fantastic product that is going to destroy Android wear. If the Apple Watch had LTE, I would not have purchased the Samsung product. Now that I have, I realize that this company is capable of doing some very fine things. And they are both a worthy competitor as well as a worthy partner. 

A healthy Samsung is fine. A healthy Apple is good too. Google is going to be displaced and while Googleguy, er... Gatorguy will miss the company, most won't care. 

One thing is absolutely certain, where Samsung and Apple are going with their respective hardware, Goolge and the rest of the manufacturers are incapable of following. 

Samsung and Apple are depriving the rest of the market access to OLED panels. It's only the beginning. NVM, digital imaging sensors, and camera components are all going to be in short supply. Appleinsider itself already released a story on the situation. 

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/17/06/20/apples-iphone-8-orders-samsung-demands-impacting-chinese-component-supply-for-other-vendors

Once Samsung incentivizes the adoption of Tizen by giving preferred access to high end components to manufacturers who adopt Tizen, watch the Android market crater. It's going to certainly be interesting to watch Google navigate this one.  
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 25 of 38
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    They pretty much have to announce it before. The biggest new innovation coming to smartphones is having an edge-to-edge screen AND and under-the-screen fingerprint sensor.

If they announce it after the iPhone, and the iPhone has an under-the-screen fingerprint sensor, then they'll look bad for missing an important new feature.

If they launch early and it's missing that feature they can always claim their next phone will have it.
    They will have the under screen finger print scanner.   It will work when you press you thumb or a finger on it.   Unfortunately it will probably unlock when any stranger puts their finger on it.    Oh you want secure security.  Wait till 2018 they will have it then when they have copied apple.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    k2kw said:
    They pretty much have to announce it before. The biggest new innovation coming to smartphones is having an edge-to-edge screen AND and under-the-screen fingerprint sensor.

If they announce it after the iPhone, and the iPhone has an under-the-screen fingerprint sensor, then they'll look bad for missing an important new feature.

If they launch early and it's missing that feature they can always claim their next phone will have it.
    They will have the under screen finger print scanner.   It will work when you press you thumb or a finger on it.   Unfortunately it will probably unlock when any stranger puts their finger on it.    Oh you want secure security.  Wait till 2018 they will have it then when they have copied apple.
    But at least they had it first!
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Samsung is hilarious with their constant "me first" attitude towards anything iPhone. Too bad they have never learned the lesson that being first isn't being best and that if you're always trying to outdo Apple, you're telling everyone that Apple is better than you.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    Samsung is actually a great company. I love my Apple products, but let's be honest here and give Samsung their due also. 

The OLED panel in the upcoming iPhone 8 will be produced by Samsung. Samsung makes the best v-NAND product in the non-volatile memory industry. When Apple needed a CPU for the original iPhone, Intel turned the company down. It was Samsung that built the CPU. 

Samsung just filed an amicus brief in support of Apple in their ongoing legal battle against Qualcomm. 

Qualcomm charges Apple (and Samsung too) inappropriately to subsidize the chips that go into the inexpensive Chinese handsets. It was Google and Eric Schmidt that stole the iOS interface. Samsung was the company that drove Android's success, but Samsung has big plans in store to move off of Android. The mobile device market is going to be dominated by two companies, Samsung and Apple. 

It would be very nice for the two companies to maintain a friendly working relationship as they are now set to utterly dominate the computing landscape in the near future. A shortage for critical high performance smartphone components is rapidly developing. Samsung and Apple control nearly all of the technologies involved. It means that the next iteration of the Pixel will have a conventional LCD panel and limited memory. The digital imaging sensor will be inferior to the ones in the Galaxy and iPhones. The CPU will be slower and less capable. As it is, Samsung is getting nearly the entire supply of Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 SOCs. Even LG is being left high and dry. And it isn't even close to filling Samsung's demand. The international version of the Galaxy S8 comes with the Exynos 8895 which is the better processor in actuality. 

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/06/20/samsung-q2-2017-operating-profit-may-beat-every-other-company-on-the-planet/

I plan on upgrading to the iPhone 8. I have an iPad Pro, an iMac with plans on purchasing a MacBook Pro. I do own the Gear S3 watch with LTE. It's a fantastic product that is going to destroy Android wear. If the Apple Watch had LTE, I would not have purchased the Samsung product. Now that I have, I realize that this company is capable of doing some very fine things. And they are both a worthy competitor as well as a worthy partner. 

A healthy Samsung is fine. A healthy Apple is good too. Google is going to be displaced and while Googleguy, er... Gatorguy will miss the company, most won't care. 

One thing is absolutely certain, where Samsung and Apple are going with their respective hardware, Goolge and the rest of the manufacturers are incapable of following. 

Samsung and Apple are depriving the rest of the market access to OLED panels. It's only the beginning. NVM, digital imaging sensors, and camera components are all going to be in short supply. Appleinsider itself already released a story on the situation. 

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/17/06/20/apples-iphone-8-orders-samsung-demands-impacting-chinese-component-supply-for-other-vendors

Once Samsung incentivizes the adoption of Tizen by giving preferred access to high end components to manufacturers who adopt Tizen, watch the Android market crater. It's going to certainly be interesting to watch Google navigate this one.  
    While I disagree with some minor points I agree with the vast majority of your post. Also, on a frenemy level, I'd say that Apple needs Samsung more than Samsung needs Apple.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 29 of 38
    kevin kee said:

Baso.
    But iPhones contain a lot of Samsung components. Samsung has some very high quality phones.
  • Reply 30 of 38

Premature ejaculation.

Corporations are people too!

• Reply 31 of 38
    avon b7 said:

While I disagree with some minor points I agree with the vast majority of your post. Also, on a frenemy level, I'd say that Apple needs Samsung more than Samsung needs Apple.

Of course you'd say that.

Everything Samsung in an iPhone is what Apple bought legally and has valid contracts for.

Everything Apple in a Galaxy Phone is what Samsung ripped off.

But please, don't let me stop you from sucking the dick of every Apple competitor.

jony0
  • Reply 32 of 38
    avon b7 said:
    kevin kee said:

Baso.
    But iPhones contain a lot of Samsung components. Samsung has some very high quality phones.

I fix it for you: Samsung has some very high quality components in 10% of their phones. 

As a matter of fact, while they share the same name, Samsung components and Samsung phone division are as different as Microsoft and Google.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Smart move by Samsung, rush the release to be ahead of the new iPhone. That worked so well for them last time right? :pensive: :lol:

Lets hope they give the internal dimensions a final check before ordering the batteries this time. 
  • Reply 34 of 38
    avon b7 said:

Of course you'd say that.

Everything Apple in a Galaxy Phone is what Samsung ripped off.

And I wonder how much that actually is today?

I suspect you are anchored in the past because that is what your post indicates.

When Apple releases a phone with an OLED screen, will that also become something else to add to the 'everything Apple' list? 

You need to get real, drop the ripoff mantra, and understand that things swing both ways.

Today, rounded edges dominate. Tomorrow, flat edges could be back. Today, screens are 2.5D. tomorrow they could be something else.

Today we have dual rear cameras. Tomorrow we will have dual front cameras.

Swings and roundabouts. Sometimes you are first and sometimes you aren't. When you aren't, it doesn't necessarily mean you are ripping someone off and in many respects Apple is playing catch up with the handset world anyway.

Either way, your post had no relevance to my reply to the OP. 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 35 of 38
    kevin kee said:
    avon b7 said:
    kevin kee said:

Baso.

I fix it for you: Samsung has some very high quality components in 10% of their phones. 

As a matter of fact, while they share the same name, Samsung components and Samsung phone division are as different as Microsoft and Google.
    But you didn't fix anything! LOL

• Reply 36 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    adm1 said:
    Smart move by Samsung, rush the release to be ahead of the new iPhone. That worked so well for them last time right? :pensive: :lol:

Lets hope they give the internal dimensions a final check before ordering the batteries this time. 
    I thought Samsung has some history of releasing the new Note models in August or thereabouts. I don't think this is something different from previous years is it?
  • Reply 37 of 38
    gatorguy said:
    adm1 said:

I thought Samsung has some history of releasing the new Note models in August or thereabouts. I don't think this is something different from previous years is it?

Actually Samsung was releasing the Notes in September, at around the same time as iPhone release, until Note 4 (along with the improved SoC from Qualcomm for the second half of the year). From Note 5, Samsung started releasing the Note about one month ahead of iPhones (without the latest & greatest SoC from Qualcomm. Not that it matters now since QC has literally stopped upgrading the SoC meaningfully in the same year). So there is some substance in the allegations of Samsung trying to get ahead of itself.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    avon b7 said:
    kevin kee said:
    avon b7 said:
    kevin kee said:

Baso.

But you didn't fix anything! LOL

I did. Read again. Just because some Samsung phones contain high quality components, it doesn't mean the phones themselves are high quality. A phone is not only a sum of individual components, there are other more important factors: software, implementation, engineering design, integration, placement, optimum value, etc.
    edited June 2017