'Sega Forever' brings classics like Sonic, Phantasy Star to iOS free with controller suppo...

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2017
Publisher Sega is reviving its console glory days with free, ad-supported re-releases of some of its most popular and iconic titles on Apple's iOS, complete with online leaderboards and wireless Made for iPhone controller support.

New titles in the "Sega Forever" initiative will be released every two weeks, starting this week with the launch of ad-supported versions of "Sonic the Hedgehog," and "Altered Beast,", "Phantasy Star II," "Comix Zone," and "Kid Chameleon." As of publication, titles were not yet available to download in the U.S., but should arrive on Apple's App Store within the next 24 hours.

Future titles will span every console era from the Japanese gamemaker, including the Genesis, Dreamcast, Master System and more.

The official "Sega Forever" website teases that "Virtua Tennis," originally released on Dreamcast, will be coming to iOS soon. Other titles spotted in advertising materials include "Shinobi," "Vectorman," "Crazy Taxi," "Super Hang-On," and "Ecco the Dolphin."

In addition to support for dedicated physical game controllers on iOS, the titles will also be accompanied by iMessage sticker packs, accessible through the app drawer in Messages on iOS 10 and later.

Gamers who want to play ad-free can purchase the titles for $1.99. Sega says future releases will be adapted specifically for mobile devices while also remaining faithful to the original console titles.

To celebrate the launch, Sega published a retro-themed commercial, harkening back to the company's memorable, somewhat-chaotic advertising of the early '90s. At that time, the company's Genesis console was locked in heated battle with the rival Super Nintendo Entertainment System hardware.

Wednesday's announcement made no mention of tvOS support. But Sega does have a history of porting titles to Apple TV, including the release of classic "Sonic" titles last March.
lolliver

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member

Wednesday's announcement made no mention of tvOS support. But Sega does have a history of porting titles to Apple TV, including the release of classic "Sonic" titles last March.
    Just what I wanted to know, thanks! Hopefully, it'll change, especially since they've already enabled controller support, I'd love to see these games come to the ATV.
    lolliverwatto_cobracali
  • Reply 2 of 9
    alexmitalexmit Posts: 112member
    "Item Not Available The item you've requested is not currently available in the U.S. store." hmmmm
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    alexmit said:
    "Item Not Available The item you've requested is not currently available in the U.S. store." hmmmm
    Gradual rollout. They're in the Japan store right now. US most likely tonight.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Meh...tvOS support would have made this announcement exciting. It's a pass for me. Still waiting for someone, anyone, to take advantage of Apple TV as a gaming platform.
    lolliverwatto_cobracali
  • Reply 5 of 9
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Loved Super Hang On. Will have to get that when it's available in NZ.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    supadav03 said:
    Meh...tvOS support would have made this announcement exciting. It's a pass for me. Still waiting for someone, anyone, to take advantage of Apple TV as a gaming platform.
    The Sonic looks like it supports Apple TV.
    williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member
    smaffei said:
    supadav03 said:
    The Sonic looks like it supports Apple TV.

Sonic is the only one that looks to have Apple TV support. This version of the game was released last year but has now been updated to includes ads for free play.
    I purchased the game last year so I assume my version will still be ad free.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Yessss! Comix Zone on the iPhone! I'm game.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Regarding controller support... what controllers (which hold your iPhone) have people used that work with these games?

eg. I bought a Geeklin Bluetooth gamepad (01 style) on Amazon.ca and none of the controls respond to input.