Apple News publishers get access to reader demographics, third-party ads

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Wednesday announced a collection of Apple News changes that directly impact publishers, including quick access to reader demographics and more advertising options, particularly support for third-party ads.

The new demographics option is accessible from the News Publisher Analytics tool, and offers data about the genders and age ranges of people reading articles. Apple has sometimes been accused of providing too little detail to publishers and advertisers, a factor which may have contributed to the demise of iAd.

Third-party ads will work on devices running iOS 10.3 or later. The ads not only have to come from certified partners, but conform to a variety of standards such as support for portrait and landscape views, with the exception of MREC (medium rectangle) placements.

Newly available ad sizes include 300-by-250 pixels and 728-by-90 pixels, which may make it easier to adapt existing ads to the Apple News format.

It's unknown to what extent -- if any -- the changes are linked to the reported arrival of Lauren Kern as Apple News' first editor-in-chief. Her LinkedIn profile still lists her as an executive editor with New York Magazine, which may mean that if she is joining Apple, the transition has yet to happen.

One recent shot in the arm for Apple News was support within Facebook's Instant Articles SDK, making it possible to rapidly format content for both platforms.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I'd like to know how hard could it be for an international rollout? That would sure bring publishers a much greater revenue.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    News is getting worse. Too many dead-end articles that tease content, but when you select it you get only ad for subscription. Also, many articles are truncated versions of originals. Finally, some articles are ads—particularly from tech publishers like CNET that routinely format their content and ads identically. 
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 5
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    lmasanti said:
    What I would like to see in News is a ‘pay-by-issue’ button. I will put, say $10- in my News account (part or iTunes, of course) and after reading an article I can click on $.05 or any other small amount to pay for the article. It has to be in a ‘article-by-article’ basis, not a subscription —that could be another oprion—. The idea is that you pay for the quality of the publication and of the author.
    That idea of micropayments for articles has been around forever. Remember Digicash circa 1990s? In theory great, but look at general newspapers on web today. Celebrity and SNL rehashes drive readers. Whereas investigative stories that take months often require "charity funding" at places like Pro Publica or even the Guardian now. It is scary. Smart people will always find ways to be informed. But now "the default" is lower than it's ever been in my opinion.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 4 of 5
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    It'd be great if the news app went region free...